Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 26
1973 Argosy 26
Fairmont , West Virginia
I need to buy new axles

I need to buy new axles for my 72 Argosy! Anyone that can direct me to someone that would be great

Old 08-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Check with Colin Hyde. He was with GSM vehicles. He has is own shop now and his email is [email addy removed by moderator]. Colin has years of Airstream restoration experience. He will tell you exactly how to measure and then handle the order and shipping for a very reasonable price.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM   #3
A 7th year newby

1968 24' Tradewind
Indianapolis , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to IndyAnne
I agree with the recommendation to contact Colin Hyde (I'm a big fan of The Vap thevap.com). You might hear that there is only one place (in CA) to get the Airstream preferred Henschen axles, but there are other sources. Some people like Dexter axles. This blog has some great info and photos on the Dexters:
Restoration of 1964 Airstream GlobeTrotter: Dexter Torsion Axle change-out/install
1968 Airstream Trade Wind
2005 Chevy K1500 crew, reg. bed, 4WD, gas
IndyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Inland RV has them. And they fit perfect..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Inland RV has them. And they fit perfect..
Jason had Inland inland install his in no time. I installed my InlandRV tandem axles in a 'little' more time. Either method is well worth the expense. This would be a great time to check and if need be replace aged brake wiring.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Whenever I see a thread about axles it reminds me of religious debate. Whichever you choose will probably be just fine. The only inputs I will add is that I was SHOCKED to learn that Dexter significantly raised their prices this year. I had a Dexter installed on my old '64 Safari (now Viking's) for about the part the cost of a complete Henschen. Now it seems that the latest Dexter pricing is on par with that of Henschen axles from Inland. Either way, a big cost hit will be shipping, so be sure to factor that into the decision. Also, don't be afraid of changing it out yourself - it can be quite rewarding. I replaced the axle on my '67 Globetrotter with a Henschen from Inland RV. What I thought was to be a straight forward bolt-in was a little more complicated. I had to jack the axle inplace, drill three new holes (per side) and weld on the shock mounts. Two trips on the books and it works like a champ - what a difference a new axle can make! I do want to give a shout out of appreciation to Andy and his crew at Inland for the helpful phone support during my install.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
I do want to give a shout out of appreciation to Andy and his crew at Inland for the helpful phone support during my install.
DITTO!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 TWind View Post
Check with Colin Hyde. He was with GSM vehicles. He has is own shop now and his email is colinhydeairstream@gmail.com. Colin has years of Airstream restoration experience. He will tell you exactly how to measure and then handle the order and shipping for a very reasonable price.
I recently bought my Axis axle from Colin and I highly recommend him. Colin was in the middle of setting up his new company when I ordered from him and he spent nearly an hour on the phone with me going over options to consider and making sure I was considering everything I needed to. I know he was busy, but still made plenty of time for me. In my case, it was a pretty big change, going from my original sprung axle to the new torsion axle. Install went just fine, no issues, and I know I've got exactly the right axle setup for me.

cheers,
steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
Whenever I see a thread about axles it reminds me of religious debate. Whichever you choose will probably be just fine. The only inputs I will add is that I was SHOCKED to learn that Dexter significantly raised their prices this year. I had a Dexter installed on my old '64 Safari (now Viking's) for about the part the cost of a complete Henschen. Now it seems that the latest Dexter pricing is on par with that of Henschen axles from Inland. Either way, a big cost hit will be shipping, so be sure to factor that into the decision. Also, don't be afraid of changing it out yourself - it can be quite rewarding. I replaced the axle on my '67 Globetrotter with a Henschen from Inland RV. What I thought was to be a straight forward bolt-in was a little more complicated. I had to jack the axle inplace, drill three new holes (per side) and weld on the shock mounts. Two trips on the books and it works like a champ - what a difference a new axle can make! I do want to give a shout out of appreciation to Andy and his crew at Inland for the helpful phone support during my install.
Just called the Dexter dealer that is closest to me and the price for a #10 3000 lb complete including electric drum brakes is $399.95 ea. I thought this price was pretty reasonable especially when compared to Henschens and because I would not have to pay freight, even beat the price on Axis by a pretty substantial amount. So Dexter was much less than $399.95? If so, sure wish I had been ready to order sooner!
Old 08-26-2009, 04:21 PM   #10
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
We had new Dexter axle put on our 6.7metre Argosy Minuet this past June. The cost was in the $600 range for axle, install, re-lube. After we picked her up, we went on a short week camp trip and the difference was delightful. We even went over a bit of rough gravel washboard road coming home and all was tidy inside when we got home.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:44 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Wow.... maybe my local guy just didn't want to deal with Dexter & my Airstream. He had to order the axle twice from Dexter to get it right for the Safari & then griped that installation on the Airstream was a pain in the a*#!

I guess he just didn't want the hassle again. Wish I would have shopped around more before taking the plunge this time, as it might have influenced my decision.... He had quoted me $750 for a #11 4500lbs electric drum brake axle (part cost only).

Did those of you who installed new Dexters have shock mounts added?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:51 PM   #12
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
Our shocks were just re-welded to the new axle. I'm still not 100% sure why shocks are needed w/the Dexter axle. But thats what our guy did.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 06:28 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
People that sell the shocks will argue that they are necessary. People that have tried with and without, have found that they are really not doing much if anything.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:50 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
Milford , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverHoot View Post
Just called the Dexter dealer that is closest to me and the price for a #10 3000 lb complete including electric drum brakes is $399.95 ea. I thought this price was pretty reasonable especially when compared to Henschens and because I would not have to pay freight, even beat the price on Axis by a pretty substantial amount. So Dexter was much less than $399.95? If so, sure wish I had been ready to order sooner!
Bought 2 Dexter 3500# axles in summer of 08. With shock mounts, they were approx $415.00 a piece. Shipping was quite reasonable at $140.00. It's best if you can have them shipped to a comercial address.