Old 10-15-2009, 04:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Hanover , Pennsylvania
shermantic,

I just installed a pair of Dexters 2 weeks ago on our '75 Trade Wind (25').

I will share my experince below, which may be helpful if a self install is a possiblity. I installed mine myself, which turned out to be more work than I had hoped, but I would do it again.

I ordered Part# 1616631
This is an Airstream specific axle replacement part # that is not advertised anywhere and only available if you talk to a minimum of 8 different people at Dexter, from no less than 3 separate locations!

What the above part# gets you is:
-#10 TorFlex axle
-3000lb capacity
-hub face to hub face = 80.375" (exactly matched my measurements)
-outside of bracket to outside of bracket = 61.375 (exactly matched my measurements)
-10" hubs with self adjusting electric brakes
-22.5 degree down angle
-High profile reverse mount brackets (holes will not match, drilling required)
-Shock mount (drawing diagram reference# E-1501)
-6 x 5.5" bolt pattern (matches original wheel bolt patttern)
-Never lube hub (supposably a 5-8 year maitenance free hub design, no repacking bearings!)

I also added the following option in additon to the specs above:
33" wire leads (probably not needed, but it never hurts to have a little extra wire)

No shipping required as I ordered and picked it up from a local Redneck Trailer Supply location (Carlise, PA) who were very good to deal with.

Final price (before tax) came in at $1,065.04 ($532.52 per axle), plus ~$20 for new mounting hardware not included (bolts, flat washers, lock washers, etc)

Notes-
1) Dexter does offer a 35 degree down angle, however it is not advertised anywhere and it only exisits if you ask for it, but they will not weld a shock mount to it unfortunatly.
2) Dexter voids all warranties if you weld anything (shock mount) to one of their axles.
3) I've seen other forum threads that mention the Dexter high profile bracket gets you an additional 1" ride height (which would in theory match the ride height of a Henschen with 35 degree down angle, however this was not my experience. I would recommend getting the high profile bracket (which comes with the above part# automatically), however I wouldn't expect additional ride height when doing so, based on my experience.
4) Make sure you measure your hub face to hub face distance, and your outside of bracket to outside of bracket distance, before ordering to make sure those distances match your application. This measuring is not required if ordering Henshens, in which case you just give Andy at Inland RV a call and tell him your AS's serial#.
5) If you're interested in Dexter axles, send me a PM and I can send you the contact info for a person at Dexter who specializes in Airstream applications and who was very helpful and able to get me the info I needed.
6) Check your axle placement for curb side versus street side as it relates to the distance from the tongue. Early to mid 70's AS trailers (I don't know if it effects Argosy or not) had the axle mounting plates on the curb side shifted forward 1/16", 1/8", or 3/16" to apparently compensate for the crown of the road. This idea did not work so well, so it is recommended that this issue be resolved, especially prior to installing new axles. My '75 had this problem, so I had to grind 1/8" off of my axle mounting plate notches rearward on the curb side, prior to installing my new axles.

Good luck with your axles. You could spend countless hours reading about this subject on the forums, I know I did!

-Eric

Emerson75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Actually, the Dexter is a 32 degree angle instead of the 35 offered by Henschen. Just got two of them for $690.00 total.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:08 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Was that with shipping HOOT???
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
MikeTheFixit, Shipping to the Dexter dealer was included in that price.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM   #19
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson77 View Post
shermantic,
6) Check your axle placement for curb side versus street side as it relates to the distance from the tongue. Early to mid 70's AS trailers (I don't know if it effects Argosy or not) had the axle mounting plates on the curb side shifted forward 1/16", 1/8", or 3/16" to apparently compensate for the crown of the road. This idea did not work so well, so it is recommended that this issue be resolved, especially prior to installing new axles. My '75 had this problem, so I had to grind 1/8" off of my axle mounting plate notches rearward on the curb side, prior to installing my new axles.

-Eric
This is the second time I have heard about the uneven axle placement on these trailers. That would explain the fact that I can see the street side of the trailer in my mirrors, but not the curb side.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
This is the second time I have heard about the uneven axle placement on these trailers. That would explain the fact that I can see the street side of the trailer in my mirrors, but not the curb side.
Richard.

Unfortunately, there are no records that would tell what years, the uneven axle mounting plate location, were installed.

To the best of my memory, it started in 1970 and went thru 1975.

However all models were not included, so each one must be checked.

I shall anxiously await a challenge to that authenticity from an authoritative supreme being.

Andy
Old 10-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Thanks Andy -

Since this was only done for a few years, Airstream must have discovered that it was not an improvement to angle the axles. Should owners of these units correct the angle as part of an axle(s) replacement?

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Thanks Andy -

Since this was only done for a few years, Airstream must have discovered that it was not an improvement to angle the axles. Should owners of these units correct the angle as part of an axle(s) replacement?
Absolutely.

Misalignment of axles, caused by an improper location, will cause the trailer to tow dog-legged, and excessive tire wear.

The easiest way to tell, is measure from the lowest forward edge of the axle mounting plate, to the center of the jack post, on each side of the trailer.

That dimension should be "exactly" the same.

I would suggest that a steel tape measure be used, along with 2 people to make an accurate measurement.

There are 2 fixes.

The first, and most expensive, would be to reshape the axle tubes.

The second, is to open up the 5/8 inch holes on one side, so the axle can be relocated dimensionally. It will also be necessary, in most cases, to enlarge the square cut out in the axle mounting plate, where the axle tube is located.

As a final measure, install one additional bolt at least 1/2 inch, thru the axle mounting bracket and thru the axle mounting plate, after the axle is relocated.

That will keep the axle in it's correct location, should the 5/8 inch bolts come loose.

Andy
Old 10-16-2009, 01:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
OK hoot
I just wondered. I don't need new one's.I got new Henshens in august 08 .They were are perfect fit. I did the change out(at 70 yrs old) and at my age I glad I bought the Henshens. It was easy for me.No shipping for me FOB my truck LOL.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
To revise this thread,what capacity axles should I buy for 77 Overlander ? Dave
Old 01-25-2010, 03:50 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Bump
Old 01-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
I pucker at contributing to an axle thread, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
... what capacity axles should I buy for 77 Overlander ? Dave
My Overlander's original axles had the axle rating stamped on a plate on the axle itself. A stiff wire brush revealed it to be 2800 pounds per axle. Crawl under your Airstream, and take a look.

My non-Axis, non-Dexter vendor advised me that I could safely upgrade the weight rating.

I do not have a gray water tank. But should I add one later, my new 3000 lb/axle rating will safey allow me to have one.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
To revise this thread,what capacity axles should I buy for 77 Overlander ? Dave
Sort of depends on what you want to do or carry, and what exact model you have.

Andy
Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 PM   #28

Currently Looking...
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Send a message via AIM to Jssec
I buy Torflex here - people are very helpful.
Torflex - Trailer Parts On-Line Store | Nuera Transport