Old 12-20-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
I feel like Henry Ford

My new axels came in about noon today, by the time I had them installed, brakes and hubs on, wired and adjusted, wheels on and torqued and dropped back on the ground it was 4:30. It looks like it sits about 3" higher than it did, which is what I wanted, the only trouble is I only had about 2" clearance to my roll-up door on my shop before.
I didn't actually measure it before so I will check as I pull out, sure hope I don't have to let air out of the tires every time I put her in the shed.
I can even make the trailer bounce jumping up and down inside, so I guess those 38 year old axels really were shot.
Might just spend the next couple of days at the country acreage just to try things out.
Tom J

Old 12-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I'm glad you noticed the increase in ride height before you pulled the trailer out.

I have new axles coming soon. They are heavy so how did you man-handle them from your vehicle to the trailer? Did you have to drill new mounting holes? Were there any other watch outs in your axle project?

David

Old 12-20-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Similar effect on ours when we replaced. The rise up to the first entry step became uncomfortably high for my wife's knees, so now we carry around a little step stool for her.

Lynn
Old 12-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
dbj216,
Since Dexter had sent 6000# axles instead of the 3500# ordered, I had a set sitting here to measure while I waited for the rush delivery. That allowed me to cut the larger axel hole.
Cudos to both Inland RV and Dexter for taking care of me as fast as they could at no cost to me.
The trucker and I just slid them into the Dodge 2500, I have a lift boom that I used to get them off of my truck,. I set them both down on a furniture move dolly and rolled both into the shop and right under the AS, before cutting the shipping bands. slid a floor jack under the bracket on each side of one axle, just had to figure out the balance point, then jacked it up one side at a time. The rear hole lined right up, the front seemed half a hole off, so I took the center guide drill out of a 5/8" hole saw and drilled the hole correct in the new axle bracket. Didn't want to drill into the AS bracket. I also used large thick washers on the slotted holes in the axle bracket, metal building code requirement, figured it couldn't hurt. I might have cut the new square hole wrong, but measuring seemed to put the new axle to the front of the old hole 1/4", and I think both holes would have been wrong if I centered it.
I have been dreading lifting the axles but it turned out to be very easy.
Hope this helped.
Tom J
Old 12-20-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I just grab on and pick them up. It is only about 250 pounds...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 09:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
Sounds like it is time for the Sawzall on the shop.
2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valacidor View Post
My new axels came in about noon today, by the time I had them installed, brakes and hubs on, wired and adjusted, wheels on and torqued and dropped back on the ground it was 4:30. It looks like it sits about 3" higher than it did, which is what I wanted, the only trouble is I only had about 2" clearance to my roll-up door on my shop before.
I didn't actually measure it before so I will check as I pull out, sure hope I don't have to let air out of the tires every time I put her in the shed.
I can even make the trailer bounce jumping up and down inside, so I guess those 38 year old axels really were shot.
Might just spend the next couple of days at the country acreage just to try things out.
Tom J
the axles will likely settle a bit now that they have a load on them. adding some weight in the trailer will help too.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Frank, you must be a young football player to manhandle the axle assemblies! I'm too old anymore! Just kidding.

Valacidor, thanks for your report on how you mounted the new axles under your trailer. It seems you have a pretty well equipped shop. I do have two floor jacks available and planned on using those. I'm just trying to figure out how to get them out of the back of my pick up. Maybe I will have to borrow an engine hoist. Or I could borrow Frank for a few minutes!

I know I have to drill new axle mounting bolt holes. Using a hole saw with the Airstream as the drill guide is a great idea. The mounting bolts hold the axle in position along with the square clearance cut out, but they don't support the weight of the trailer. So I think a slotted hole with a stout washer and tight bolts is just fine. I'm sure there are plenty of Airstreams with new axles that have slotted mounting holes.

David
Old 12-21-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
DBJ216,
Actually, the axle brackets had large slotted holes already, one just has a little wider slot in one area now. I measured the height of the A/C at 117", the door opening was 117 1/2", I was able to readjust the door to get another one inch, so cleared easily.
Camping right now. 79 degrees today.
Tom J
Old 12-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #10
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
David, I am 47 and have three bulging discs. When you are just one guy, you do what you have to do. I do wheel them around under the trailer on a transmission jack, but getting them off the truck, brut force.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Ouch, bulging discs. The human spine is a design flaw that rivals the Airstream rear body to floor seal for generating problems. The spine is the number one serious injury location in the factories I worked in through my career. That's why I am careful manhandling heavy parts.

Take care of that back! We Airstreamers need your services and expert advice. I have admired your work on your blog.

I ordered my axles with bearings and brakes. I'll find a way to get them under my Trade Wind. I was just asking advice. No sense in re-inventing the wheel. I have found much useful help on this forum.

David
Old 12-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #12
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tom J,

Glad you got it resolved, but what is the rest of the story, the Henry Ford connection?

When my axles were replaced they placed sheets of plywood down and dragged the axles on the sheets. The trailer was on gravel at the time.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:18 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Hartford , Alabama
GC,
I don't know if it is true, but when I was in school they always told the story that Henry Ford had built his first car in a garage with no door, so he had to knock down a wall to get it out. This was of course before he invented the assembly line, which reveloutionized modern manufacturing, allowing him to build Model T's for around $800.
Tom J
Old 12-24-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Tom,

Got it kinda like building a boat in your basement.

Gary

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote