Old 01-26-2015, 03:33 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would say you could jump down to Little Rock and we could put them in in a couple a few hours,,, but Alberta is a long way....

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #58
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
J., I know you feel everything is ok and you have towed your trailer and everything feels fine.

But this is not about how you feel or whether you have towed without a problem. In a situation where the trailer is at the limit and will tip or jackknife or sway, I think that will happen sooner than if you had not lifted it. The difference may be miniscule, or may be a lot more.

I can't quite understand how you have determined where the center of gravity is or how you came up with a less than 1% risk factor, but if the risk is increased at some number between 0% and 1%, then we agree that you have increased the risk, but do not agree on how much. It may be less or more than 1%; I don't know.

Buy you also may start swaying or even jackknife and I think there is also an increase in risk, but, not owning a testing lab and not willing to sacrifice a trailer, I don't know how much.

Your belly pan being at 17.5" and I came up with 15" for ours means we agree on that. I have 16" wheels and that would add about 1/2' to 5/8" (deeper tread on the Michelins than on the OEM Marathons) to our trailer height.

Gene

Old 01-26-2015, 05:20 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Just got off the phone with Standens. The quote for having them do the lift work was 1600.00 all in (for modern tandem Airstream torsion axles). Ouch!

However, they've lifted many trailers over the years (a variety of brands, some Airstreams). The service foreman's opinion is that there should be no safety concern whatsoever with a 3 inch lift, given that tire rated speeds and truck towing weight limitations are not exceeded.
Lift kits for duel axle trailer are under $200 US direct from Dexter. I was quoted max 3 hours labor for install. My shop charges $90 hour for this type of job. Total about $500 for the project. After talking to Dexter today to discuss what kit was needed I placed my order. Going to be nice to clear the curb getting in and out of my yard. Tired of banging up my driveway. I already have a suitable draw bar for the hitch so no extra expense there.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #60
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Give us a review once you're done Michael. No idea why my shop quoted so much labour, perhaps there was some confusion on their part (with me trying to describe what I wanted, this is entirely possible!).

I may call some other spring/axle shops for additional estimates. Not sure if I'll do the upgrade yet, just investigating the possibilities.
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gene, there is no perceivable difference, none.

Not a lick of difference in well over 6,000 miles.

It might be that I have done a lot of towing with a lot of different vehicles, and I might not trust your conclusions.

You are entitled to your opinion Gene, but unless you have actually pulled my trailer it might just be an uninformed opinion.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:47 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Give us a review once you're done Michael. No idea why my shop quoted so much labour, perhaps there was some confusion on their part (with me trying to describe what I wanted, this is entirely possible!).

I may call some other spring/axle shops for additional estimates. Not sure if I'll do the upgrade yet, just investigating the possibilities.
Will do, it is going to be a few weeks before I have the cash. Hopefully by the end of Feb.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM   #63
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Lift kits for duel axle trailer are under $200 US direct from Dexter. I was quoted max 3 hours labor for install. My shop charges $90 hour for this type of job. Total about $500 for the project. After talking to Dexter today to discuss what kit was needed I placed my order. Going to be nice to clear the curb getting in and out of my yard. Tired of banging up my driveway. I already have a suitable draw bar for the hitch so no extra expense there.
I'm placing my order tomorrow. I want the extra clearance and am comfortable it will work well, given my personal experience with my 19' Bambi.

Thanks for all of the debate and spirited discussion!
Old 01-27-2015, 11:56 PM   #64
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
You are right about the added tread of LTs over Marathons . I measured the diameter difference of LTs to Maxxis and it is one inch, sides by side as close as you can see. However, after the swap, the height variance of the whole rig: TV, Hensely, and TT all still look level. That little extra 1/2 " of clearance will help, but I do wish it were little more.
Old 02-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
That too.

A high quality extension for the hitch receiver to raise it will cost around $150. This will lengthen the hitch assembly and make the assembly less stable. It is better to be closer to the axle than further away.

If you are still within warranty, there may be a problem with that too.

Gene
Most "inserts" are able to be flipped 180 for added height. there is no need for an extension unless tailgate clearance is the priority.
Old 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM   #66
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Will do, it is going to be a few weeks before I have the cash. Hopefully by the end of Feb.
Hi Michael,
Checking in to see if you have installed the lift kit yet. I have our kit in the garage and taking delivery of our 23FB next week. I would like to install the kit in May, but am interested in seeing how it looks as a finished project.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2015, 06:57 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Steamy -

I am following this thread with interest, and look forward to boondocking with more security and not dragging at gas stations etc.

I see several options of kits on the Dexter website - and they only seem to differ in height. Which to pick, or does it depend in the axle option...and if so that brings me to my question...how do I find out what option I have?

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Sounds like a good thing to do in conjunction with new axles ... glad to read it's possible for tandems.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:13 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
Steamy -

I am following this thread with interest, and look forward to boondocking with more security and not dragging at gas stations etc.

I see several options of kits on the Dexter website - and they only seem to differ in height. Which to pick, or does it depend in the axle option...and if so that brings me to my question...how do I find out what option I have?

Chris

Hopefully there should be a label on your axle. You might have to climb under and explore for it. Mine is on the front upper section of the tube.

Old 07-13-2015, 10:50 AM   #70
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Thanks, Michael. I will check that out, best to rely on the actual unit than documentation in this case.

Chris

2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote