Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Gene, there is no perceivable difference, none.

Not a lick of difference in well over 6,000 miles.

It might be that I have done a lot of towing with a lot of different vehicles, and I might not trust your conclusions.

You are entitled to your opinion Gene, but unless you have actually pulled my trailer it might just be an uninformed opinion.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 05:47 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Give us a review once you're done Michael. No idea why my shop quoted so much labour, perhaps there was some confusion on their part (with me trying to describe what I wanted, this is entirely possible!).

I may call some other spring/axle shops for additional estimates. Not sure if I'll do the upgrade yet, just investigating the possibilities.
Will do, it is going to be a few weeks before I have the cash. Hopefully by the end of Feb.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Lift kits for duel axle trailer are under $200 US direct from Dexter. I was quoted max 3 hours labor for install. My shop charges $90 hour for this type of job. Total about $500 for the project. After talking to Dexter today to discuss what kit was needed I placed my order. Going to be nice to clear the curb getting in and out of my yard. Tired of banging up my driveway. I already have a suitable draw bar for the hitch so no extra expense there.
I'm placing my order tomorrow. I want the extra clearance and am comfortable it will work well, given my personal experience with my 19' Bambi.

Thanks for all of the debate and spirited discussion!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 PM   #64
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
You are right about the added tread of LTs over Marathons . I measured the diameter difference of LTs to Maxxis and it is one inch, sides by side as close as you can see. However, after the swap, the height variance of the whole rig: TV, Hensely, and TT all still look level. That little extra 1/2 " of clearance will help, but I do wish it were little more.
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 02:41 PM   #65
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
That too.

A high quality extension for the hitch receiver to raise it will cost around $150. This will lengthen the hitch assembly and make the assembly less stable. It is better to be closer to the axle than further away.

If you are still within warranty, there may be a problem with that too.

Gene
Most "inserts" are able to be flipped 180 for added height. there is no need for an extension unless tailgate clearance is the priority.
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 AM   #66
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Will do, it is going to be a few weeks before I have the cash. Hopefully by the end of Feb.
Hi Michael,
Checking in to see if you have installed the lift kit yet. I have our kit in the garage and taking delivery of our 23FB next week. I would like to install the kit in May, but am interested in seeing how it looks as a finished project.

Thanks!
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 05:57 PM   #67
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Steamy -

I am following this thread with interest, and look forward to boondocking with more security and not dragging at gas stations etc.

I see several options of kits on the Dexter website - and they only seem to differ in height. Which to pick, or does it depend in the axle option...and if so that brings me to my question...how do I find out what option I have?

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 07:00 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Sounds like a good thing to do in conjunction with new axles ... glad to read it's possible for tandems.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 08:13 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyggeln View Post
Steamy -

I am following this thread with interest, and look forward to boondocking with more security and not dragging at gas stations etc.

I see several options of kits on the Dexter website - and they only seem to differ in height. Which to pick, or does it depend in the axle option...and if so that brings me to my question...how do I find out what option I have?

Chris

Hopefully there should be a label on your axle. You might have to climb under and explore for it. Mine is on the front upper section of the tube.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Thanks, Michael. I will check that out, best to rely on the actual unit than documentation in this case.

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
Old 07-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #71
1 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Bozeman , Montana
How about getting the increased down angle on new axles? Colin mentioned it when we discussed new axles and I am interested. Has anyone purchased /installed axles with the increased down angle? Instead of 22 degrees they come at ?38 degrees? I cant remember the exact angle but he said it translated to a 1" height increase.
treeair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:56 AM   #72
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeair View Post
How about getting the increased down angle on new axles? Colin mentioned it when we discussed new axles and I am interested. Has anyone purchased /installed axles with the increased down angle? Instead of 22 degrees they come at ?38 degrees? I cant remember the exact angle but he said it translated to a 1" height increase.
32 degrees provides about a one inch gain.

You can also extend the frame downward using rectangular tubing and the welding the axle bracket to that tubing, making sure that the axle alignment is correct.

Then you can add, within reason, several more inches of clearance.

But, keep in mind, the axle tubing itself cannot change very much.

Andy

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Thanks for all the info. Aside from all theory's and opinions this has been a very helpfull thread. Actual real life use looks to be positive and usefull information. As with any modifications that are made that would potentially change the handling of a vehicle one would weigh the pro's and cons and make the informed choice to do this. Not one post on here as convinced me that this would not be a good choice to do since I for one am getting tired of straighting out those skid plates on the back of my 30' Excella every time I leave my house.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Chatham , Virginia
Thanks for all the info. Aside from all theory's and opinions this has been a very helpfull thread. Actual real life use looks to be positive and usefull information. As with any modifications that are made that would potentially change the handling of a vehicle one would weigh the pro's and cons and make the informed choice to do this. Not one post on here as convinced me that this would not be a good choice to do since I for one am getting tired of straighting out those skid plate on the back of my 30' Excella every time I leave my house.
bigfoot390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 AM   #75
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Thanks, Michael. I will check that out, best to rely on the actual unit than documentation in this case.

Chris
OK....so I'm a bit confused. I looked under my tralier last night and found out that I have Henschen #7350475-0355KS i.e. 3500# axles made by Henschen and not Dexter.

From what understand from forum searches is that Henschen is the OEM for Airstream and I can't get replacements except from Airstream. OK. So the installations listed above would be for the Henschen axles...

Does this mean than the Henschen axles have the same interface and I can use the Dexter kit?

I would really like to get the extra clearance, but not at the cost of a new set of axles for a trailer that is only 10 years old. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
Old 07-23-2015, 10:04 AM   #76
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Henschen was an axle manufacturer that has closed. I believe it was owned by Airstream and located quite near AirStream in Jackson Center, Ohio.

In any event Dexter is what Air Stream uses now and if ordered correctly the Dexter axle will fit your application.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #77
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
Henschen was an axle manufacturer that has closed. I believe it was owned by Airstream and located quite near AirStream in Jackson Center, Ohio.

In any event Dexter is what Air Stream uses now and if ordered correctly the Dexter axle will fit your application.

>>>>>>>>Action
Action.

Airstream never owned any part of Henschen.

The last owner of Henschen was an English company.

They wanted to sell Henschen but decided that they could make more money by closing Henschen down and selling it's equipment.

Sad way of doing business, but whose to say.

Andy
Old 07-24-2015, 09:10 AM   #78
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Excella 500
Mount Vernon , Is For Lovers
Colin Hyde has axles made that are closer to the original Henschen design. His service is superior to the "other" suppliers hands down. His prices will probably beat Dexter's. https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/
Sylver Slypr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #79
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylver Slypr View Post
Colin Hyde has axles made that are closer to the original Henschen design. His service is superior to the "other" suppliers hands down. His prices will probably beat Dexter's. https://sites.google.com/a/colinhyde...ions.com/home/
Many owners want to update the specs on new axles, basically because tow vehicles today have a much higher profile than the cars that were used back then.

Also many owners want to increase the weight rating for new axles.

10 inch brakes should never ever be substituted for 12 inch brakes.

Lastly, recent laboratory tests of the 2 major brands of axles show a great difference in the rubber rods, the quality of the axle shaft, the amount of welding, and the alignment.

But, as always, it's a buyers choice.

Rarely, if ever, is there a single product that satisfies everyone.

Even diamonds don't make that list.

Andy
Old 07-24-2015, 11:12 AM   #80
3 Rivet Member

Using #10 Axle

Quote:
OK....so I'm a bit confused. I looked under my tralier last night and found out that I have Henschen #7350475-0355KS i.e. 3500# axles made by Henschen and not Dexter.

From what understand from forum searches is that Henschen is the OEM for Airstream and I can't get replacements except from Airstream. OK. So the installations listed above would be for the Henschen axles...

Does this mean than the Henschen axles have the same interface and I can use the Dexter kit?

I would really like to get the extra clearance, but not at the cost of a new set of axles for a trailer that is only 10 years old. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
OK just a note I contacted Dexter axles and my trailer would use the #10 axle and thus the 2 5/8 inch lift kit. Higher lift kits are not interchangeable according to Dexter as they have different hole patterns.

I still like the idea of 2 5/8 extra inches...it will provide increased clearance for both the rear end and front which will allow me to use a shorter hitch shank and avoid bottoming out there as well.
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"