Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2015, 01:59 PM   #21
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy1 View Post
Hope this satisfies the attorneys.
The disclaimer should be in 25 point type in red with large fluorescent green arrows pointing to it. If all the recipients have not signed the disclaimer in black ink, they will be deemed to not be covered by the disclaimer. It should also state that each recipient should consult independent counsel. For this legal advice, I shall be submitting an outrageous and opaque bill. Please remit certified funds by yesterday or further action shall be taken.

I'm here to help.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 02:41 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Thanks Gene! send me your engagement letter.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:26 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinTin View Post
Let us know AS's response Steamy1!!
The response from AS was something along the lines of it would not have any effect on the overall warranty except for the area that was modified would not be covered. In other words, (help me out Gene) it there were a failure at the trailer frame and the axle connection, it would not be covered.

So there you have it, but don't take this as absolute fact.

I want to do this but will go and talk to the local trailer shop about it before ordering the kit.
Steamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 03:37 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Quote:
This line of thought could be extended to virtually any alterations, additions or upgrades to the original equipment. Please keep in mind that the lift kit is made and offered by Dexter, the manufacture of the axle. By the way, Dexter said it is the #10 Torflex Lift Kit for the 23FB axle. For those that have an interest.

Disclaimer: although I am an owner of an Airstream, the opinions and comments posted on this website are my own and should not be considered as expert advice on any particular subject. Anyone contemplating similar modifications should do their own research and evaluation of the products and consult with experts as they deem appropriate to make their own decision.
Hope this satisfies the attorneys.

I sure do appreciate your sense of humor, Steamy, with your disclaimer! Wonderful.

I look forward to reading more of yours and others experiences on this and other topics.

Love this forum for everyone's thoughts and opinions! Then each person makes up his/her mind. So valuable. Really fabulous.

Chris
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #25
:SPACE A" S/O 11 Air19745

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
Has anyone done the lift kit mod to a 35' Classic. It would sure help when backing up on to a high crown road at an intersection or, when boon docking, for that matter. All I know is that when you drag a rear frame a quarter panel repair job costs $6,000. And, that doesn't help. The LT tires are one inch taller so a lower kit might be better. If that is the case. I would think with the right metal they could be locally fabricated. Sounds like a simple spacer to me. Is it?
guskmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:26 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2002 25' Classic
Kalama , Washington
Great looking install. The only other possible consequences worth considering might be the additional roof height if stored inside and leveling jacks or tongue jack extension ranges. Three inches of tongue height wouldn't be difficult to adjust the shank for.
nwclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:36 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Nice thing about my ProPride hitch setup is height adjustment on the stinger is just a big torque wrench and a few minutes of grunt force away. Recovery from the exercise period my be considerably prolonged.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #28
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
The response from AS was something along the lines of it would not have any effect on the overall warranty except for the area that was modified would not be covered. In other words, (help me out Gene) it there were a failure at the trailer frame and the axle connection, it would not be covered.
Of course, a claim under Airstream's warranty might be denied and then you can go to court, or threaten to. But if Dexter is selling this, then Dexter has a responsibility too and they would be the ones to make a claim against. Product liability is in addition to any warranty (Dexter may have a warranty on this, but they probably try to limit it substantially as most manufacturers do). If you were to sue, then you sue Dexter, Airstream, the installer and your mother-in-law (maybe she once said "that trailer looks too low"). The good thing about multiple defendants is they fight each other and may prove your case for you.

But more important is that you don't want to have to make any claims, so it is up to you to decide whether this makes sense.

Someone above said LT tires add an inch. This is a very common misunderstanding of plane geometry. Not all LT tires are 16", but if they are, and the OEM tires were 15" (some OEM's on smaller trailers are 14"), they add approximately 1" to the tire diameter, but raise the trailer only 1/2" nominally. But, the OEM Marathon 15" tires do not have as deep a tread as the 16" Michelin LTX Load Range E tires usually used for the conversion. Marathons have 10/32" tread and the Michelins are 15/32"—thus add 5/64" to the 1/2". That's the hard way to find out the answer. The easy way—diameters of tires that fit on a standard wheel are not always the same—the wheels are 15" and 16", but the tires can be a bit different. So the best thing is to check tire diameter (then you can forget tread depth) on manufacturer's websites.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Pardon me?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:28 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I raised my trailer 3", upside is lots less dragging donkey, downside is nothing IMO.

Gas mileage for me is unchanged, as is handling. The change in the center of gravity made no difference for me whatsoever.

It should be noted that even raised, the center of gravity of my trailer is still lower than most every SOB.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:33 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
Canmore , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I raised my trailer 3", upside is lots less dragging donkey, downside is nothing IMO.

Gas mileage for me is unchanged, as is handling. The change in the center of gravity made no difference for me whatsoever.

It should be noted that even raised, the center of gravity of my trailer is still lower than most every SOB.

Did you use the Dexter lift kit?
TinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
How to gain more clearance

No, I made my own setup that allowed me to strengthen the frame fore and aft of the axle attachment.

My old trailer needed to be straightened and reinforced in this area so I added a 3"x3" by about 8' angle on each side.

In essence it is similar to the kit except it is welded in and much longer.

I welded these in while I had the trailer jacked up very near the rear of the trailer thereby removing forty years of sag.

Old 01-25-2015, 06:12 PM   #33
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post

It still shortens the time/distance involved in trailer sway initiation. That you do not find it objectionable is another thing. I would have made the same choice, but three inches is a change that doesn't sound like much yet is.

TT weight on axles, TW, choice of trailer tires & their pressure plus your hitch all help offset potential problems with this modification. Belt and suspenders.

As to mpg it is with crosswinds that now have more access to the TT underside that it would show. There will be more lateral stresses on TT tires. No way around that.

I would agree that in practice your summation that the differences are hard to perceive would be my hoped for outcome.

I have seen vintage kin trailers that rolled and were destroyed. TV rolled. Raising the TT body, on leaf springs, with bias tires, with a friction bar hitch and pulled by a slightly raised heavy Suburban was enough on the day trouble came. I think of it as tolerance stack.

Sort of like tire pressures opposite of recommendation. Too low on TT and too high on TV. I've seen that around here.

Then, years down the line on the wrong road on the wrong day . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I've seen 5'ers that sat so high I wondered if any little bump would upset them. That's one of the reasons why we're not considering 5'ers.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:50 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
It still shortens the time/distance involved in trailer sway initiation. That you do not find it objectionable is another thing. I would have made the same choice, but three inches is a change that doesn't sound like much yet is.

TT weight on axles, TW, choice of trailer tires & their pressure plus your hitch all help offset potential problems with this modification. Belt and suspenders.

As to mpg it is with crosswinds that now have more access to the TT underside that it would show. There will be more lateral stresses on TT tires. No way around that.

I would agree that in practice your summation that the differences are hard to perceive would be my hoped for outcome.

I have seen vintage kin trailers that rolled and were destroyed. TV rolled. Raising the TT body, on leaf springs, with bias tires, with a friction bar hitch and pulled by a slightly raised heavy Suburban was enough on the day trouble came. I think of it as tolerance stack.

Sort of like tire pressures opposite of recommendation. Too low on TT and too high on TV. I've seen that around here.

Then, years down the line on the wrong road on the wrong day . . . .

It made no difference regarding an inclination to sway whatsoever, even after it was raised and before the Hensley.

The surface area that would play any part in crosswinds was essentially unchanged, it was simply the same surface area 3" higher.

The best way to avoid accidents is to not drive a vehicle beyond its safe limits, no matter what these limitations are.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:02 PM   #36
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The area under the trailer. Volume. It allows more interaction with the difficulties found in the air between TV and TT. As well, the most difficult area of all, and that is at the tail.

Note I did not say at any point it has become a danger. Lowering it would not be a noticeable difference either. Except that the trailer would be that much more resistant to any forces acting on it.

The factory setting is not a random choice. There are models which can be used for prediction.

When we lean hard on those we start to get outside of predictable behavior. Same as with tire pressure. We narrow the envelope. It is not a free lunch, nor fair to say that it is.
Old 01-25-2015, 08:18 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas

There is a tendency among many to over analyze things that amount to nothing.

Frankly, for me the fact that every bump or street entrance and egress is not a potential challenge adds a ton to overall safety.

When I rebuilt my trailer, I discarded a lot of factory build stuff.

Old 01-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I haven't found that those are a challenge, much less that they are unsafe. The longer the trailer, the fewer the places one may go. If that constitutes over-analysis it is because of understanding boundaries. It is not a shot in the dark.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:12 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Frankly I don't much like dragging donkey getting in and out of half of the gas stations across this great nation.

I suppose there are places that my 31 footer should not go, but Gas stations shouldn't be one of those places.

It is real simple from where I sit. My trailer was too low for my tastes so I raised it up.

I have stated that this caused me no negative consequences, I said this because I believe it to be true.

If you choose not to believe me then I guess I will have to get used to being a liar in your eyes. I can live with that.

Old 01-26-2015, 04:52 AM   #40
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It isn't black and white, is the point. It is making one trade off in favor of another.