Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-18-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA
WOW, bashin' Dexters??

Airstream had a reason to switch to Dexters. Does anyone remember the reason?? Henschens would not stand behind the warranty and left them holding the bag............
That is not true.

No one is bashing, just stating the facts, instead of guesses.

The disagreement was not between Henschen and Airstream, but it WAS between Lakin and Airstream.

Henschen is now owned by GKN, and is stronger than it ever was in history. They have added several millions of dollars in equipment, with more on the books.

Airstream and Henschen people, did, and still do go to lunch together.

There NEVER was a problem between Henschen and Airstream.

But as always, gossip continues, along with unfounded guesses, both of which are a long way from the facts.

I sincerely hope this thread does not get off target, from it's original intent.

As far as replacing Dexters with Henschens in warranty, Dexter won't pay the bill.

Andy.
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:11 PM   #22
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Sounds like somebody has more money that good sense. Why on Earth would anybody want to fork over $3000 (or more) to replace an item that is completely covered under warranty?

Jim
Jim.

Replacement axles are a long way from your $3000.00 quote.

The bare axles are replaced, period. The brakes and hub and drums are transfered.

However, in some of the cases at that dealership, owners have opted to change to disc brakes too.

The disc brakes that dealer uses is the same that we have used for years, namely Kodiak and Actibrake, which is what Airstream chooses to use too.

Way to many problems with Dexter disc brakes continue to be reported.

Andy
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
One would think that Airstream would step up to the plate on this one. A customer buys a product has what I would consider a significant issue, and the customer has to fork over the $$$ because from the sounds of it, the factory knows there is an issue. Even though they would replace with another Dexter, if the issue is true, seems like a fairly big leap of faith, considering they recalled and paid out to have the Henschen axles re-lubed via a recall for some of the 04s.

Maybe it's just me, but that doesn't sound right. At the very least, the factory should reimburse the customer for the labor if not the part or the whole thing. Seems only right, considering it's a premium product, carrying a premium price tag......with what I think are fairly good margins.....
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:14 PM   #24
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic
If as Andy says above replacement Henshens for my 71 should just bolt in there is less chance of the axles being installed out of alignment causing crabbing and/or excessive tire wear?
Contrary to a few opinions, Henschen axles simply slide into place and are automatically aligned from the 1969 models and up.

Any difficulty removing an old torsion axle would have to do with rust, not the manufacturer.

Andy
Old 12-18-2007, 09:29 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
That is not true.

No one is bashing, just stating the facts, instead of guesses.

The disagreement was not between Henschen and Airstream, but it WAS between Lakin and Airstream.

Henschen is now owned by GKN, and is stronger than it ever was in history. They have added several millions of dollars in equipment, with more on the books.

Airstream and Henschen people, did, and still do go to lunch together.

There NEVER was a problem between Henschen and Airstream.

But as always, gossip continues, along with unfounded guesses, both of which are a long way from the facts.

I sincerely hope this thread does not get off target, from it's original intent.

As far as replacing Dexters with Henschens in warranty, Dexter won't pay the bill.

Andy.
You are right NO MORE GOSSIP!

You have 2 options Dexters, and Henschens. Both make a good product and you will be happy with either. The Henschens cost more but are easier. The Dexters cost less and take an extra hour or so on the install. Both stand by thier products. I can get support from my local TruckPro for my Dexters and would have to go through Cali. for the Henchens since the only dealer is Andy.
TN-TUNDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:38 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN-TUNDRA
You are right NO MORE GOSSIP!

would have to go through Cali. for the Henchens since the only dealer is Andy.
Inland RV Center, Inc, "is not" a Henschen dealer, but they "are" the Distributor for Henschen axles.

Inland RV Center, Inc, has several dealers throughout the country, that are as supportive to their customers, just as much with Henschen axles as they are with anything else in their service departments.

Andy
Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #27
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Jim.

Replacement axles are a long way from your $3000.00 quote.

The bare axles are replaced, period. The brakes and hub and drums are transfered.

However, in some of the cases at that dealership, owners have opted to change to disc brakes too.

The disc brakes that dealer uses is the same that we have used for years, namely Kodiak and Actibrake, which is what Airstream chooses to use too.

Way to many problems with Dexter disc brakes continue to be reported.

Andy
Andy, I’m basing that $3000 estimate on a tri-axle Airstream. I’ll bet that Texas Airstream dealer couldn’t install those for much less than $1000 per axle. There’s the cost of the axle, shipping, labor for the install, taxes and shop fees to consider. Any modification made to either the axle or the trailer frame (because non-OEM parts are being used) will only add to the cost. And as you point out, none of this includes other new parts (e.g. disk brakes) added as an after market item.

Back to the original question posed by the thread starter. The axle itself can be bought starting around $400 and going up from there. There are several manufacturers out there, Hens and Dexters are not the only choices. Volumes have been written here about this subject. Generally speaking, OEM is more expensive to purchase. Generally speaking, Non-OEM’s are cheaper but require more work. And, generally speaking, a person with moderate mechanical skills can change them out.

Just my 2 cents.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1971 25' Tradewind
Surprise , Arizona
I am amazed at the amount of knowledge that this forum has, had it not been for this forum I would have jacked on my axles to change the tires or just put on the tires that I could get at Discont tire. You all have saved me much heartache and I'm sure $$$. I hope to be here a long time.
azfiredog300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:40 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Automatic Axle Alignment

Quote:
Contrary to a few opinions, Henschen axles simply slide into place and are automatically aligned from the 1969 models and up.
My new Henshen axles have been on my 78 Land yacht for maybe 2500 miles and there is significant tire wear. Alignment is scheduled for Jan 7 at Oasis RV in Tucson. Their comment was "That sometimes happens". So, watch for abnormal tire wear with your new axles.

Just another opinion.
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote