Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-17-2002, 11:43 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
How many axles replaced

Just curious as to how many people have had to replace their Henschen axles vs. how many have not, if yes, how old was the unit when they needed replacing? Please give model and year. Let's see how the numbers add up. Maybe someone could set up a poll?
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 01:36 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

great question

I just bought mine and have not replaced them, but I am concerned after reading the article over at Inland's site about how to tell if they are in need of replacement. Mine don't have a negative angle on the trailing arms of the axle, but are horizontal (unloaded trailer). This leads me to believe they have lost some of their resiliency and shock absorption qualities and amy soon need to be replaced. Plus mine are the pre 74 kind which have been found not to hold up as well as newer axles.
What are possible sources for the axles? Used or salvaged a possibility?
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:35 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Mine are borderline......

and I hate that word. After all the talk on this subject I checked mine and realized that a "swap" will be in order in the near future. Hey, 40 yrs. , what more can you ask! Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Historically, used or salavged axles, are not a wise investment. First, if you have a tandem axle, you must replace both of them.
Secondly, the brackets probably won't fit correctly. If they are cut off and rewelded, which can be done, but, the rubber is destroyed from the heat, leaving a useless axle.
Thirdly, if they come off of a rollover, they are most likely to be out of alignment.
And fourth, is the weight rating correct?
Decisions, decisions. Goes along with owning an Airstream.
Always a question.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 12:34 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Hey Andy....

I saw the pics of axles on your site and noticed that the mounting holes on the axles where perpendicular to the axle tube. Mine ('62 Overlander) are horizontal to the tube. Can new ones be had like mine or will fabrication be in order? Thanks, Oscar
Silver Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 03:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Oscar.
Airstream and/or Henschen, back then, used several different mounting arrangements.
Starting I think in 65 or 66, a standard was established and is still used today, for the mounting brackets.
In your case, adding the axle mounting plates, as used today, will solve the problem, or you can drill new mounting holes, if there is enough material to work with.

Andy
inlandrv.com
airstreamparts.com
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 05:17 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sage advice Andy. No decision to make is there? When I save enough quarters to make a purchase they will be new. I'd like to replace everything except maybe the wheels. Axle, plates, shocks, hubs, bearings and tires. I figure 2 grand plus labor for tandem axle.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 01:21 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Austin , Texas
I replaced my axle when I got my Argosy this summer. I bought my unit thinking it would be cool to have a "Lowrider Argosy"until I nearly tore the rear bumper off on my side drive. Something was wrong. It sat way too low and after reading Andy's axle page I diagnosed mine as being scrap. The ends of the axle arms were almost touching the underside of the floor. I think the axle was shot for years before I bought it. The new one is rated for 4,000 lbs., a 1,000 more than the old one which gives me a good feeling when I load all my gear.