Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #1

2019 22' Sport
SHEBOYGAN FALLS , Wisconsin
How important is the lift and what is the downside

Most of these posts talk about how to do a lift on the Sport 22FB, and make it sound like having the lift is very important. We're getting a new Sport 22FB this spring, will be staying mainly at state or private parks with only minimal boondocking, and am trying to be sure we have everything "right" at the beginning. Is it really necessary to have a lift? For those of you without a lift, do you wish you had the lift in place? Should we be having the dealer install a lift? Are there "cons?" Do you have to modify the stabilizers jacks to account for the extra height? I'm likely "overthinking" everything about our new trailer, but, heh, that my personality! Thanks for the advice.
RogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Downside - higher center of gravity and may be less stability towing at higher speeds.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
And makes your trailer look more like the white box units.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
I see no reason that you would need to do this.
The trailer is factory engineered as is for optimal performance as it comes.
Try it first, and you probably won't need to.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
I lifted my 23' fb Intl and now that I am picking up my 27' I will do the same. I disagree on looking like all the other SOB trailers. It is only 3" and unless I told you, you would not notice.

Why did I do it? The extra clearance was necessary so that I could park in my extra driveway by my house. If you don't have a need don't do it.

There are many on these forums that have done it also.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
You'll know..

Many of us who have the lift swear by it. I've done many mods to our trailer including lithium, solar, wireless, and lots else. But the most important one is the 4" lift. Why? Because I live and camp in the west. My preferred spots are down dirt roads and fairly often I have to negotiate dips and ruts. Before I had the lift, I worried constantly that I'd cut it too close and rip out the plumbing or the stairs, etc. You'll know if this is you, in fact my hunch is you already do.

Given what you've said, I'd say wait for a bit. Doing it later offers no loss.

-Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:40 PM   #7

2019 22' Sport
SHEBOYGAN FALLS , Wisconsin
Thanks to all for the advice. I probably will wait and "see if I need the lift" as long as I'm not likely to do permanent damage before adding a lift. It sounds like a lift can always be added later. I'll be careful where I'm taking the trailer. Do the stabilizers jacks need modification or blocks beneath them if you do add lifts?
RogK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Boise , Idaho
Stabilizers

With my 4" lift, I do need some additional blocks under the stabilizers. Especially if I am uneven front to back on the ground (one side will be extra high). I just bought another set of lynx levelers and use 2-3 rather than 1 like I used to before.

Adam
afk314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Welcome Aboard!! 🥂👍

Go camp for a Season...if you bottom hard more than thrice consider it.
We travel the dirt in the Adirondacks a lot and never damaged anything.
'Cept when we ran the side of the AS into the railing on the exit bridge of the NYSDEC Campground.🥵

Bob
🇺🇸