Old 07-31-2016, 03:14 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Henderson , Kentucky
How do I tell if axles need replacing?

Hey great info, but how did you know your trailer needs axles?

I have 76 Argosy 26 rolls true, no uneven wear on tires or finding strange issues I can detect so what do you look for? I searched for answers but could no find a clear opinion, maybe expert dimensions checked but if trouble shooting what can I feel, see or check or look for or what does newbie measure? Thanks. Don't need overly technical explanation, but 23 pages of axle issues got me thinking, uh, what about mine.

Old 07-31-2016, 05:09 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
diamond bar , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post

I have 76 Argosy 26 rolls true, no uneven wear on tires or finding strange issues I can detect so what do you look for? I searched for answers but could no find a clear opinion, maybe expert dimensions checked but if trouble shooting what can I feel, see or check or look for or what does newbie measure? Thanks. Don't need overly technical explanation, but 23 pages of axle issues got me thinking, uh, what about mine.
I'm a newbie that replaced his axles. I had similar questions. I came to the conclusion after reading many posts. Time and lack of use plays a major role on how long they last. Mine are 40 years old and the last 10 it did not move.

When I lifted the front axles by driving on ramps, the rear did not even droop. I continued to pull forward and the fronts where about the same. I pulled the axles out I discovered the shocks were rusted/seized in place. So, that may have contributed to the axles not moving but later with some force, I was able to get the shocks moving.

If they are originals then time is against you.

Old 08-02-2016, 09:27 AM   #3
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
The axle is likley good. It is the rubber torsion spring inside the axle that is likley no longer any good.

Lift trailer and measure the axle drop or wheel drop. If it drops 3" you are good to go. Less than that there are issues to needing replacement.

>>>>>>>>Action
Old 08-02-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
You know you need new axles when the stovetop grilles end up on the floor after towing a short distance. Visual and physical test: is the axle arm pointed at a down angle: Yes=good, no=bad. Jump up and down on the rear bumper. Do the wheels move up and down in the wheel wells? Yes=good, no=bad. Neither is probably definitive, but will give you a good starting point.

I have a new 3500 axle sitting on the driveway next to my '67 Caravel waiting to be installed. Simply too hot in Austin, TX right now to work on the outside of the trailer much. I ordered a bolt and shock kit with the OEM axle from Inland RV. Good thing I know how to weld and have the equipment as you have to weld the shock brackets to the axle arm.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:40 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

almena , Wisconsin
Axles

With the trailer sitting level(take a carpenters level and set it on the floor lengthways to check this)get underneath the trailer just to the rear of the axles. Look for the steel flat pieces that are on the ends of the main part of the square axle that bolts to the frame. These are about 3 in x 10 in. The Wheelend which is where the axle stub, hub, bearings and brakes are located are on the other end of those flat pieces. Now, these need to be at a positive angle. Which is when as they come from square tube they need to be angled down. If they they are angled down even 10 degrees or so you are good to go. If they are angled upward the axles need to be replaced. There is no fixing them!
Old 08-02-2016, 03:37 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky76Argosy View Post

I changed axles on my '67 last December. The old axles never sagged and always had a slight down angle when normally loaded but the down angle did not change much when unloaded. Things inside the rear of the trailer were obviously bouncing around even though I was running only 43psi tire pressure. I decided I did not want the hassle of having to change a failed axle somewhere besides home. Now forgive me for giving a word of advice. If you decide to change, make sure you know what you are getting. I went with Dexter 3,500lb axles instead of 2,800lbs as was original to keep the same size brakes. For some reason all the manufacturers had gone from 12 to 10 inch brakes on the replacement axles for my trailer. I spoke with a number of very experienced vintage owners and restorers who had done it both ways and all agreed that the 10 inch brakes would have 10 to 20% less braking power than the 12 inch. Having experienced two TV brake failures, one in mountainous terrain, and safely stopping with mostly trailer brakes I needed to not mess with that. I want all the brakes I can get.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:30 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
Austin , Texas
Yep, 10" brakes are original. I was asked if I want to upgrade to 12" brakes when I purchased the axle. I declined and purchased a bare axle. 10" brakes are adequate for my 2500 lb Caravel.
Old 08-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
Yep, 10" brakes are original. I was asked if I want to upgrade to 12" brakes when I purchased the axle. I declined and purchased a bare axle. 10" brakes are adequate for my 2500 lb Caravel.
The original brakes on my '67 Overlander were 12" on 2,800 lb Henschen axles. When buying new axles last year, I did not want to drop down to 10" brakes which is apparently now standard on axles less than 3,500 lbs at least for Dexter and the brand Colin Hyde sells so I went with the heavier Dexter axles. If you work at it a little bit you can purchase Dexter Axles directly from one of their distributors but be prepared for a delay as they work through the production schedule. I bought mine thru Inland RV as the delivery time was shorter.

BTW, if anyone needs a good trailer repair/rebuild shop to install new axles under an Airstream or any other trailer, I can put you in touch with one right here in upstate SC. These guys do all kinds of trailer/truck body/frame repairs and modifications.
Old 12-03-2016, 06:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
guess i might need to replace the axles on my 2005 classic 30 ft. When i was under there this afternoon to jack up and put on my jack stands for the winter i took a picture of axle with load and no load.

seem they are level no load and angled some what up when sitting on the tires loaded.

the chain is for security. lock lug nut on as well. better safe than sorry. it wraps around axle and through both wheels on one side a big long thing for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_133450_001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	276333   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161203_134038.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	276334  

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:27 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
Austin , Texas
If these are dura torque axles, lift frame by placing jack below the vertical plates visible in your photos. As you lift the torsion arm should angle down as you lift, if there is no movement and your axle stays in one position, that means that rubber pieces inside axle tubes have hardened and no longer provide bounce

Sent from my iPhone
David & Diane
Old 12-03-2016, 07:04 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Usually when the arms are pointing upwards the axles are done. That means the spindle that holes the wheel is higher than the pivot point which would be the end of the square tube. The wheels should drop some when you jack up the trailer. If the trailer is not sitting so low you are constantly dragging something, and if stuff is not flying all over your trailer when you tow then you are probably good. If you have lots of loose rivets and things coming loose from vibration then you are probably ok. Out of balance tires can cause problems as well. My 81 axles seem to still be working but I am sure they are not like new.

Perry
Old 12-04-2016, 06:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
so if there is little or no bounce, what happens? Things bounce around? Sometimes this is true, sometimes not. What actually fails when the axle "fails"...if the rubber is hardened after years, the axle will stop the wheels from turning? I have original axles on my trailer ,, and its an expense I would only undertake if I was going on a coast to coast trip. For our use, and we do use it, the trailer rides fine as long -- as the WHEEL BEARINGS are lubed-- I see no problem.
Axles= big expense not always justified.

OK Can of works is no open for discussion.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 07:02 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am running 235/75-XL15 car tires and they ride much better than trailer tires and don't seem to have the low speed rating and blow out issues that trailer tires have. These tire might be the reason my old axles are not causing issues. Most of the time there are still small objects on the kitchen counter after a trip so I am not real worried about shaking the trailer apart.

Perry
Old 12-04-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have a few things that sit out on our drives, and none have ever hit the floor.
I am careful to set our microwave from the counter onto the bedroom floor though. I also check the lube on the bearings twice a year.
I am surprised at all the people that replace their axles as soon as they get their trailer.
I believe there are more important steps to take to make the trailer useful.
But if you are an axle update person, call Colin Hyde and jump in there.
My above type was Can of Worms..open for discussion...

AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is online now   Reply With Quote