Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Winston Salem , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Oh! That's new to me. The few I've worked on have the grease seal held in by friction and you drive it in. Next question—who last worked on the bearings and when? There shouldn't be such a failure on a seal unless it's installed improperly or left in much too long. You are fortunate you caught it now because it could have been a lot worse. Check the bearings and the races to make sure they are ok. Those parts are cheap.

Gene

well the axle and the drum was brand new, everything came factory installed to me , i found out during a 20 mile test drive , so i am not sure what went wrong
yup, checked everything and it looked good , so i guess i just caught it in time
michael13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
If that grease seal was that messed up ,is there grease all over the shoes? If so you need new shoes. Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyride View Post
If that grease seal was that messed up ,is there grease all over the shoes? If so you need new shoes. Dave

No grease on the shoes, i wiped/cleaned everything with mineral spirits, just to be sure, but when i opened it up is was clean
Old 06-15-2009, 05:51 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Still hot....... i do think even more than before

Do i have to let it cool down before opening it up???????

To much grease maybe ????????

or could it be that i have the wheel to loose????????? i read the thread about the bearing adjustment ?

any help is aprechiated
Old 06-15-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
It is possible that a piece of the seal spring may have been eaten by the bearing. I would inspect the bearing carefully as well as the race.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:15 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Might be your controller

If the wheels spin freely when off the ground, and the bearings are greased and adjusted properly, the tires are inflated properly, there should be no excessive heat build-up.

Have you given the wheels a spin while connected to your tow vehicle?

Could there be something wrong with your brake controller? It happened to me a couple of years ago. Started off one morning, got on the highway and the trailer brakes came on all by themselves. I had to disconnect the trailer electrical to get off the highway. I replaced the controller and the problem went away.
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
If the wheels spin freely when off the ground, and the bearings are greased and adjusted properly, the tires are inflated properly, there should be no excessive heat build-up.

Have you given the wheels a spin while connected to your tow vehicle?

Could there be something wrong with your brake controller? It happened to me a couple of years ago. Started off one morning, got on the highway and the trailer brakes came on all by themselves. I had to disconnect the trailer electrical to get off the highway. I replaced the controller and the problem went away.

The wheels spin freely when connected to the TW and it seems that the controller works fine ( brand new) and stopes the wheels when the brakes are engaged

since i have no experience it could be that i went a bit overboard with the grease

and need to adjust the bearings
Old 06-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
YUP thats the little bugger. That spring is on the back side of the seal and it holds the seal edges to the spindle and keeps the grease in and the water and dirt out. Hopefully. I have replaced alot of those. Well they were just a smidge larger, BIG TRUCKS ya know. 45 yrs I changed alot of em.
Micheal YA DID GOOD!
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:28 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
YUP thats the little bugger. That spring is on the back side of the seal and it holds the seal edges to the spindle and keeps the grease in and the water and dirt out. Hopefully. I have replaced alot of those. Well they were just a smidge larger, BIG TRUCKS ya know. 45 yrs I changed alot of em.
Micheal YA DID GOOD!

thanks for the encouragement. stil can't figure out why the thing gets to hot
Old 06-15-2009, 07:43 PM   #30
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael13 View Post
thanks for the encouragement. stil can't figure out why the thing gets to hot
1-Bearing adjusted too tight

2-Bearing adjusted too loose

3-Brakes adjusted too tight

4-Brakes not releasing (dragging)

5-One tire taller than the others

6-Trailer not level when being towed

7-The other tire on that side is low on air pressure
Old 06-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
The spring coming off of the seal generally means it was improperly installed. If the seal was installed wrong maybe the new guy at work assembled that wheel. If so every thing else is suspect. Remove the hub & drum, clean the hub bore with brake clean (airisol can-Auto Zone-3 bucks) till your wife will eat out of it. On the outer side of the hub is a small race, on the inner side of the hub is a big race( race- what the wheel bearing fits into) look at the races, there will be a shoulder under the race that is machined into the hub. the shoulder is what the race is seated to, if there is a gap(use a feeler gauge to check for a gap) between the either race and shoulder that race is not pressed in far enough. If that is the case the bearing will not seat because the race will move inward as pressure is applied. a machine shop can press the race if nessisary. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:00 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, when you installed the complete axle assemblies, You had to connect the brake wires; Re-check your wires and connections. Possible that this is the only brake working, therefore it gets hot?
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 AM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, when you installed the complete axle assemblies, You had to connect the brake wires; Re-check your wires and connections. Possible that this is the only brake working, therefore it gets hot?

I can hear the brakes on each wheel engaging and tested them by spinning the wheel and applying pressure on the brakes
Old 06-16-2009, 06:17 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I have never heard of too much grease in a hub.Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
look what i found, sorry folks i have to rant a bit , first the spring and now a bent bearing

this is what i found after a thorough cleaning and more time to inspect the bearings

OK all better now

for right now i will take a bearing out of my old axles and replace the bent one

and go for another test drive

Later
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY0231.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	466.5 KB
ID:	82433  
Old 06-16-2009, 08:25 AM   #36
Community Organizer

2005 22' Safari
South Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
look what i found, sorry folks i have to rant a bit , first the spring and now a bent bearing

this is what i found after a thorough cleaning and more time to inspect the bearings

OK all better now

for right now i will take a bearing out of my old axles and replace the bent one

Later
"Made in Thailand"?

"We have just religion enough to make us hate, but not enough to make us love one another." Jonathan Swift
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #37
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Michael, bearings are cheap. Use a new one. The factory should reimburse you anyway.

If too much grease is used, as someone posted on another thread, heat won't dissipate. I guess someone might fill the entire area between the bearings with grease and maybe that would be a problem but I'm just repeating what someone else said somewhere else. Maybe this is how rumors start.

It looks like that's not the problem, though the photo didn't get posted.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #38
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:

OK all better now

Later
Mike.

Please keep me posted as to the end result answer.

I have directed the office to send you a new bearing and grease seal, today, via UPS, next day air.

I was not aware that you had already talked to Greg yesterday.

Please use caution when removing a hub. They must be pulled straight off. If it is allowed the drag, or catch, on the spindle, the grease seal can be damaged.

Please PM me if you have any other questions.

You can also call our office, if you wish, and ask for Greg. He is the shop foreman.

I may not be instantly available, since I am on vacation in Hawaii.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:46 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Mike.

Please keep me posted as to the end result answer.

I have directed the office to send you a new bearing and grease seal, today, via UPS, next day air.

I was not aware that you had already talked to Greg yesterday.

Please use caution when removing a hub. They must be pulled straight off. If it is allowed the drag, or catch, on the spindle, the grease seal can be damaged.

Please PM me if you have any other questions.

You can also call our office, if you wish, and ask for Greg. He is the shop foreman.

I may not be instantly available, since I am on vacation in Hawaii.

Andy
Thanks Andy
so, as i was doubting my skills, i have called a local RV service to check the hub
they agreed to have a look at it first thing in the morning.

as i was pulling into their lot and touching the hubs ....... all of them cool as an ice cube well, as cool as it can get

just to be sure i asked them to double check it- i will be traveling with family, better save than sorry- hopefully tomorrow afternoon

cheers everyone
Old 06-16-2009, 06:02 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Ya done good Michael! My guess is someone dropped that bearing before it was installed in the hub.

And, you can never put too much grease into a hub, it will simply come out the seal. Matter of fact lots of farm implements are designed with a grease fitting in the hub and the recommendation is to pump grease in until it starts to come out the seal. Admittedly, farm implements operate in extremely dirty/dusty conditions which warrant the need for such maintenance. But rest assured, one cannot have too much grease in the hub.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote