Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-02-2011, 01:32 AM   #1
JDL
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
T , Oregon
Henschen replacment axles

Thinking about getting a replacement axle for my 19' CCD. Want to get a new 4500 or 5000 pound one. Talking with Inland RV.

Looks like Henschen is gone?

What has anyone heard about the current replacement axles good or bad?

Thanks

jd
JDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Do you think your axle has gone bad? Seems early compared to other posts related to axles. What are symptoms that you are trying to correct? (Interested, because we have the same year and size, except not CCD.)
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Hello JD and Phoenix,
It would seem like an early failure for your axle but I have read that it is possible for the torsion axle rubber to harden with inactivity in just a few years. I suggest you talk with Colin Hyde of Colin Hyde trailer restorations. He is a distributor of Axis axles. Axis bought some of the leftover Henschen equipment. Axles from Colin Hyde are about half of what Inland charges. $430 vs $750.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #4
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Hello JD and Phoenix,
It would seem like an early failure for your axle but I have read that it is possible for the torsion axle rubber to harden with inactivity in just a few years. I suggest you talk with Colin Hyde of Colin Hyde trailer restorations. He is a distributor of Axis axles. Axis bought some of the leftover Henschen equipment. Axles from Colin Hyde are about half of what Inland charges. $430 vs $750.
Thanks to you and Phoenix,

Yes the axles are marginal - the trailer sat for 2 years.

What I am really asking is are the current axles the same quality as the old Henschen axles? Its unclear to me who is making them now? or is Colin Hyde producing them for Inland RV? Inland RV is much closer to me so that is also a consideration.

Thanks!
Old 02-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Give us some pix...we have a fetish about that and you could help.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDL View Post
Its unclear to me who is making them now? or is Colin Hyde producing them for Inland RV?
All those axles are now manufactured by Axis, to the same specifications, no matter who you buy them from. They are all manufactured in Indiana, again no matter who you buy them from.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Sorry, I have no personal experience with axles. However, please update this thread when you have completed repairs (or decide not to do it), as I am interested in the outcome. --Thanks.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:54 PM   #8
_

. , .
hi jd'

got any pie!

even sitting for 2 years shouldn't kill one 6 year old axle.

some of these units sit at least that long on dealer lots.
________

2004-5 was ~ when a/s switched to dexters on some of the safari/int' models...

what is on your unit?
________

is the plan to use the same/original rating or go a bit higher?

lots of options 4 a newer bambi.
________

ANY a/s shop can order axles for your unit.

so either of the 2 shops IN oregon could order and install...

((guessing U won't do the actual wrenching))

the henschens=quality statement is not absolute.

they made changes and UNchanges and REchanges in production over the years,

and some of those changes were not improvements.
________

it's sorta like pie,

some are great and some are less so.

even 2 year old pie (frozen) might be better than no pie.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Even a 2 year old pie.

Man, do youy have a way with words. Now Im hungry.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:31 PM   #10

2006 19' International CCD
Indian Harbour Beach , Florida
I actually just got done putting a new axle on my 2006 19' ccd. I changed mine because the passenger side wheel bearings came apart and destroyed the spindle. I had to do a near-roadside axle replacement. I was also 700 miles from home. And yes i greased the bearings and checked them before the trip, but obviously i missed something. Back to the axle. My trailer had a Dexter axle. I chose to order a replacement from an airstream dealership to make sure that it fit perfect. I am sure i could have saved money by ordering it directly from Dexter but the axle not fitting was not an option. And besides there is nothing easier than just giving your trailer vin number and getting the exact replacement axle. It took 2 weeks to receive the new axle and it took four hours to get it hooked up to the trailer. Granted the old axle wasn't old but it failed the drop test. It only dropped an inch and a half when i jacked it up. The new axle rides much better than the old one. Double check your axle it might be a Dexter, I would think the '05 and '06 would have the same axle? Let me know if you want to know some of the problems you will encounter when replacing the axle on our model of trailer.
coylecamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I bought three 3500# axles from Axis through Andy at Inland in November, and did the installation in December. You can find a thread with pics under Henschen Axle Install.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:38 AM   #12
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
I love this forum...

OK more info for those of you with axle fetishes - The arms are parallel to the ground (zero angle) (and the trailer is completely empty. (I mean no water, winterized empty...) )

overlander63 - Yes Talked to Collin today. AXIS axles are the replacement for Henschen. Apparently quality is as good or better than Henschen.

2airishuman - Long time no see. I have pie from my friend Sherry. Come and visit us at the secret alien landing site some time. The pie positively glows in the dark

1. Currently I have a 4300 pound Henschen. I checked the plate.

2. I want about a 4 inch lift - Want to go to a 4500 or 5000 pound axle. Also want to go to a 35 degree down angle but I hear that is no longer an option with AXIS. Is 5000 going to be too stiff (or too much lift) if my average weight is about 3900 while towing?

---------------

Ok - A huge thank you to Colin Hyde. I spent almost an hour on the phone with him and he has been installing AXIS axles for years. This man knows axles and loves Airstreams. (You can hear the passion when you talk with him.) If I was anywhere near the East Coat I would go to him. He knows his stuff. So if anyone has any axle or repair needs, talk to him.

Lastly, Colin confirmed that when Henschen closed down some of the equipment went to AXIS. So again AXIS seems to be the way to go. (AXIS must have gotten a good deal on the equipment.)

Colin Hyde trailer restorations
Old 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Hey JD! Those pies starting to bounce around in the trailer? How much is your trailer weighing these days.. I'd weigh it and then go from there. I think you might be surprised how much your trailer weighs... I bet it's pretty close to 5000 already. (For comparison sake, my Argosy weighs about 4500 on the CAT scale).

Just one other option... you can phone Uwe at http://www.area63productions.com and order a Dexter from him. I bought a 4500 Dexter with discs.

Colin's a good guy too... so many options out there. 5" more clearance? I could sleep under there for the next rally!

Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
_

. , .
hi marc...

the truth is jd' may have been carrying way2much pie in bambi...

which leads 2 sagginaxleitis.

now the average double crust apple pie weighs 4 lbs,

so when jd' is hauling the basic rally ration of 100 of those fruit filled treats,

there's very little carry capacity left for napkins, a la mode offerings and whipped cream.

he could switch to hauling pumpkin, but even that may be a challenge...

it seems the record 4 big pumkin pie was ~2000lbs back in 05.

that's ONE pie folks.

Name:   BIGpp.jpg
Views: 1156
Size:  14.6 KB

the same group managed to break their OWN record in 2010,

with an ~ thirtysevenHUNDRED pound pie.

so jd' would need to an a 2nd axle to bambi (and a larger zipdee awning) just to haul this one.

and guess where the record was set? (caution a/s content ahead)

about 25 miles west of the mothership in new bremen ohio...

at their annual P'fest.

New World's Record At Bremen PumpkinFest - News Story - WHIO Dayton

so when ordering that axle be sure 2 let the factory folks know U will be haulin' pies...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:41 AM   #15
JDL
3 Rivet Member

T , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
Hey JD! Those pies starting to bounce around in the trailer? How much is your trailer weighing these days.. I'd weigh it and then go from there. I think you might be surprised how much your trailer weighs... I bet it's pretty close to 5000 already. (For comparison sake, my Argosy weighs about 4500 on the CAT scale).

Just one other option... you can phone Uwe at http://www.area63productions.com and order a Dexter from him. I bought a 4500 Dexter with discs.

Colin's a good guy too... so many options out there. 5" more clearance? I could sleep under there for the next rally!

Marc

3Ms75Argosy,

Thanks! this is now the 2nd recommendation I have had for http://www.area63productions.com . They are in Orange, CA. My home town and where my folks live.) I will be down there in April. I will give him a call / send him an e-mail. I hear he does AXIS axles too.

Also, I will double check the weights. But the ones I posted where from the state truck scales in Oregon.

See you soon.

2airishuman - Is this a subtle hint you want Pumpkin Pie? I would gladly add a 2nd axle for the extra CCC.

Tags
axis, henschen, axle, dexter axles