Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2005, 08:34 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Henschen Axle Part Number (s)

Does anyone know what the new Henschen axle model number would be to replace the:

Old duro-torque Axle Assembly (21') 4500lbs #01094....that is listed in the 1973 Service Manual?

Looking for both a complete or bare - replacement price comparison and where to purchase (sorry Andy - other than from InLand) just does not make sense to order from way over in CA when we live one state away from where they are made. I could use the shipping costs for gas to go pick it up my self.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Don't know if this will help but there should be a tag attached to the axle. Also not for sure on this but I think Andy or an Airstream dealer is the only way to buy one. I had to buy the one's for my Overlander and my Caravel from Andy, but they were shipped direct from Henschen to my home. I researched the other options but in the long run it just made more sense for me to buy from Inland because he can spec all of the necessary design information. It's pretty much a bolt in process. The only snag I hit was when I replaced the axle on the Caravel, the shock mounting plates came separate from the axle, needing to be welded on, which was fine because they would not work and had to be modified in order to be installed like the originals.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:16 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My experience exactly except had to cut the brackets and reattach. I was satisfied with the result, the process was a little challenging. I think they ship from Ohio. You could try to get a Dexter Axel and mod it for the shocks "after" clearing it with the factory engineer. They are very good about getting back to you if you have a question. Either way you will be best served by having a shop do the work. Jump up and down at the shop about not using their forklift on your trailer and not lifting it from the end(s).
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I believe you can get Andy to tell you what you need, he can place the order and you should be able to pick up at the factory - might save you time. I know that Henchen will not help you and will refer you to Andy unless you can get the exact specs yourself.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I believe you can get Andy to tell you what you need, he can place the order and you should be able to pick up at the factory - might save you time. I know that Henchen will not help you and will refer you to Andy unless you can get the exact specs yourself.

Ken
Just had a nice chat with Andy - Henschen inquiry forwards automatically.
(Very informative and Helpful - thanks Andy!).

I was under the impression that Axles were shipped out to CA and then back to customer (hence bigger expense) but that is not the case. Shipping is handled directly from the factory as Ken mentions.

As we would be doing a complete change (in otherwords does not make sense putting a brand new axle on old serviced brakes and drums).

So here is another question How does the Dexter replacement axle compare?

I have read in other threads that the brakes and drums that are with the duro-torque axle system are not interchangeable - so you have to change out the whole set which we will be doing - so how do they compare?

Quality, stability, longevity of the axle as well as price, quality and accesibility of brakes, drums to match?

And my final request - is there anyone out there who lives close to the NY/Ontario border on the east side of Lake Ontario - that might like to have a visit and talk Airstreams for a day?? (and don't mind receiving a fairly large package by freight.) We may just drive to Ohio but wanted to see what the freight costs are - once we get a handle on the price and quality comparisons between the two products.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Shipping is COD. It is shipped to the shipper's dock. You pay extra to have it then delivered local and the wieght is an issue. These are heavy. The shipper calls you and tells you you have x days to pick it up between the hours of 6pm and 10pm or some such thing. If the factory is within reach you may be better off going to get it. In fact why not find someone there to put it on and you'll avoid customs going home? Maybe an Airstream dealer. Get a tour of the factory. Make new friends.
When this started I just wanted to camp.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Paul

Boy do I know that one - thats all I wanted to do is camp - now I'm completely tearing apart a trailer - two year project - more working on trailer than camping hmmmmm oh well - we ARE have fun!

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:02 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
I hear you on "Just wanting to camp".

I went through this too. Andy is the only distributer for the Airstream axle, but you can do a will call and pick them up. I'm stashing the dollers away to have enough to pick up a new pair for The Wreck. It will be a three day weekend trip for me with my flat bed trailer.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 01:21 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Buckhorn , Ontario
Just getting the prices requested now - on shipping up here direct across the border, shipping to somewhere in NY or MI and then of course consider the price of driving to the factory to pick it up ($240 bucks right now with the gas prices) remember ours are almost double what yours is even at 2.05 a gallon. We were .87/L today.

Wish we could chance it but with our luck MoonBeam would break in half on the way down. The axle is as stiff as a board with no flex what so ever. Took us a while to figure it out....When you are newbies.....Forums really are not the greatest place to research.

Torsion arm - yep we figured that one out (diagrams, posts, explanations) yep they all made sense - it is sitting almost parallel - not down like it should be but not up where it is really bad..... - hey she still has some life...... great we can go on holiday (3000+ mile round trip) without changing the axle. NOT

It does not matter where the torsion arm is sitting if the axle rubber has petrified!!!! that is 36 year old rubber band - that has not had a lot of use - more sitting than anything.

Lessons learned and we all have to learn them in our own way. So MoonBeam is staying in her storage spot until we get her a new girdle!!!! and some pretty suspenders...

Old 03-17-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
It will be great when done. I'm going home now to start getting "The Bat Cave Express" ready to take the shell off. Got my new rivet drill gizmo Tuesday.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Isn't there a Henschen distributor in Canada?
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 09:44 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Yes Ken - I'm with you. You'll get to see the fruits of my labor at the VAC Rally in Colorado Springs if you go. New axle, appliances, cabinets, tires, wheels, fantastic fan... The compounder is going to be pounding this weekend.

GT6921 - the new axle will make world's of difference. I looked into the Dexter option too, however, their weight rating was 3,500lb which according to my research was too much for my rig. Toss into that having to spec torsion arm angles, spindle insets or offsets, mounting plate dimensions, well, it was just easier to buy it from Andy because he knows the system and the application. Are you installing the axle yourselves? I don't know if yours is a 10" or a 12". My overlander had two 12" axles and those things were brutal to lift and move around. The caravel has a 10" and with the drums and brakes off, I could move it easily myself. I posted pictures on the photo section of when I replaced mine if you want to see a rough overview of the process.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote