Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
There are only three sizes. Tell me the year and I can tell you the size. Axles are treated as such a mystery, they are not. The only thing that varies is the carrying capacities.
If you would give a part number for each size and list the models that they fit it would be a great reference.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:54 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
A part number? When one orders you give measurements. Airstream axles are completely unique and used only by them. The bracket to bracket measurement is needed, hub face to hub face measurement. How many pounds it carries, Reverse brackets. I always select easy lube bearings and electric brakes. I also only do 22.5 degrees down. My shop does not do the high rider 4x4 look. You also need to know low profile or high profile bracket. It is very easy. Even though there are just three sizes, I always verify with a tape measure. Some times, someone thinking they know better, alters something. They might have ordered just by giving a serial number. The person on the other end automatically gives them low profile and they needed high profile, they then go in and cut the notch so the axle sits against the frame rail. It happens often. Sometimes they order too small and the mounting plate was bent in and shimmed to make it work.
btw, if you order #11 brakes, you are opening up the mounting notch no matter what. Axles over 4000# are all 3" tube, not the 2 3/4" used previously. To not have to cut out you must go with #10 drums.

I know you requested I list the sizes. I am not going to do that. As soon as I do, someone who has done one axle job will straighten me out. As a professional who does this every week, I tire of being straightened out by people who do this for a hobby. I swapped four axles last week alone. One of the axles was a welded on axle on a 1961. It required major surgery and fabricating two axle mounting plates. It broke my person record for longest axle swap, 18 hours total.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
A part number? When one orders you give measurements. Airstream axles are completely unique and used only by them. The bracket to bracket measurement is needed, hub face to hub face measurement. How many pounds it carries, Reverse brackets. I always select easy lube bearings and electric brakes. I also only do 22.5 degrees down. My shop does not do the high rider 4x4 look. You also need to know low profile or high profile bracket. It is very easy. Even though there are just three sizes, I always verify with a tape measure. Some times, someone thinking they know better, alters something. They might have ordered just by giving a serial number. The person on the other end automatically gives them low profile and they needed high profile, they then go in and cut the notch so the axle sits against the frame rail. It happens often. Sometimes they order too small and the mounting plate was bent in and shimmed to make it work.
btw, if you order #11 brakes, you are opening up the mounting notch no matter what. Axles over 4000# are all 3" tube, not the 2 3/4" used previously. To not have to cut out you must go with #10 drums.

I know you requested I list the sizes. I am not going to do that. As soon as I do, someone who has done one axle job will straighten me out. As a professional who does this every week, I tire of being straightened out by people who do this for a hobby. I swapped four axles last week alone. One of the axles was a welded on axle on a 1961. It required major surgery and fabricating two axle mounting plates. It broke my person record for longest axle swap, 18 hours total.
Thanks!
I'm just trying to learn what I can.

I've studied the measurement sheets the manufacturers have on their websites. I know I would have to provide those. I understand different load capacities, different types of brakes, down angles, etc.

What does reversed brackets mean? And is this something special for Airstreams?

Will you elaborate what you meant by "only three sizes"? Is it the combinations of different measurements between brackets and/or hub face?
Old 07-25-2015, 12:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
When I find that stepped Roto Brooch I will be able to drill the holes in 15 seconds or less
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
For those that want to order there own axles the procedures for measuring are really pretty straight forward as outlined in the Dexter site. Just remember to order reverse angle mounting brackets. All this means is the mounts are just welded on reverse from the way Dexter welds on the mount angles in their stock configuration

If you order from your local Dexter dealer in your area ( mine is Redneck Trailer Supply) then you do not have to pay for shipping.

Of all the things I've done on my GT this ranks very high in the easy and fast category. Basically what I'm saying here is don't over complicate it
Old 07-26-2015, 02:57 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Thanks!
I'm just trying to learn what I can.

Will you elaborate what you meant by "only three sizes"? Is it the combinations of different measurements between brackets and/or hub face?
Bracket to braket measurement is the same as outside of frame rail to outside of frame rail. The frame size does not change with every trailer, it is consistent. Therefore the axles sizes are fairly consistent also.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
So, this Rotobroach... it is a metal cutting hole saw? Is that what I am gathering?
what makes it cut better and faster? Is it the bit or the tool or both. You guys found my weakness for a new tool...
Old 07-26-2015, 10:21 AM   #28
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Get it.

Quote:
So, this Rotobroach... it is a metal cutting hole saw? Is that what I am gathering?
what makes it cut better and faster? Is it the bit or the tool or both. You guys found my weakness for a new tool...
Blair Equipment 11090N Rotabroach Cutter Kit - Hole Saws - Amazon.com

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:27 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Yes, it's a high quality metal cutting hole saw, they are available thru McMaster-Carr under hole saws. They cut a very round hole. Unibits are also very handy for opening up holes, but when a Unibit is used to open up two misaligned holes you remove material from both surfaces. With a Rotobroach you will only remove material from the aft surface. Either approach works, it doesn't really matter which method or tool is used, you just want to get the job done in the most efficient manner available to you.

Unlike most of the members here, I didn't have to go out and buy a bunch of expensive special tooling to work on my Airstream as I already had them for my day to day pay the mortgage job.
Old 07-26-2015, 10:57 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Here ya go
http://www.mcmaster.com/#4093a81/=y809ql
McMaster-Carr
Old 07-26-2015, 02:46 PM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
thank you for the links but I ordered a set first thing this morning. I only need a half of an excuse to buy a new tool...
Old 12-17-2015, 09:49 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
1970 27' Overlander
Boerne , Texas
My new axles are slightly wider than the old ones. Any suggestions on how to widen the notch on the frame? have the welder burn it? grind it? Cut with a cut-off wheel?

Greg
Greg1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:38 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I assume your referring to the axle tubes. I have used an angle grinder to do this job in the past.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 08:40 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
Salt Lake City , Utah
I recently did this using a reciprocating saw with metal blade and then grinder to finish up. Just make sure you modify the rear of each notch. Also a good idea to pick a constant point somewhere and check the finished job for squareness and alignment.
youngpeck is offline   Reply With Quote