Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-25-2015, 12:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master
 
J. Morgan's Avatar

 
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,038
Images: 11
Leave that bit a little loose in the chuck,,,

It will suck when it slips, but this is better than getting twisted up by a drill.

#JustSayin...
__________________

__________________
The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 12:12 AM   #16
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar

 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,840
I just used a 5/8 Roto Brooch or sometimes called a Blair Cutter in a 3/8 phnumatic drill, real easy it only took a few minutes, even if you are only drilling out a crescent shape to line up the holes
__________________

Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:56 AM   #17
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Best money I've ever spent on cutting tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerowood View Post
I just used a 5/8 Roto Brooch or sometimes called a Blair Cutter in a 3/8 phnumatic drill, real easy it only took a few minutes, even if you are only drilling out a crescent shape to line up the holes
A few years ago I took Kip's advice and bought the Rotabroach cutting kit. It makes cutting 5/8" holes in steel a non issue.

The first time I installed axles on my '72 Ambassador, (yes I have installed axles on her twice) I used a 1/2" drill and a big ol' 5/8" drill bit. I got it done, but broke a few bits along the way and nearly broke my wrist.

I would recommend anyone changing axles to get a set of Blair Rotabroach cutters. It is $63 well spent.
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 AM   #18
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by korgen View Post
I just want to give a shout out to Colin Hyde Restorations in the New York area who I ordered my axles through. I didn't have to take any measurements, I just told him the year and model and he knew exactly what I needed. That gave me a lot of peace of mind. He has ordered hundreds of torsion axles for Airstreamers and spent some time searching out the cheapest shipping for me. They fit perfectly though I did have to drill some holes.
There are only three sizes. Tell me the year and I can tell you the size. Axles are treated as such a mystery, they are not. The only thing that varies is the carrying capacities.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:28 AM   #19
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
a step bit will drill the hole in 30 seconds or less...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #20
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
A Rotabroach will drill it in 20 seconds or less.
__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 AM   #21
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
There are only three sizes. Tell me the year and I can tell you the size. Axles are treated as such a mystery, they are not. The only thing that varies is the carrying capacities.
If you would give a part number for each size and list the models that they fit it would be a great reference.
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 08:54 AM   #22
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
A part number? When one orders you give measurements. Airstream axles are completely unique and used only by them. The bracket to bracket measurement is needed, hub face to hub face measurement. How many pounds it carries, Reverse brackets. I always select easy lube bearings and electric brakes. I also only do 22.5 degrees down. My shop does not do the high rider 4x4 look. You also need to know low profile or high profile bracket. It is very easy. Even though there are just three sizes, I always verify with a tape measure. Some times, someone thinking they know better, alters something. They might have ordered just by giving a serial number. The person on the other end automatically gives them low profile and they needed high profile, they then go in and cut the notch so the axle sits against the frame rail. It happens often. Sometimes they order too small and the mounting plate was bent in and shimmed to make it work.
btw, if you order #11 brakes, you are opening up the mounting notch no matter what. Axles over 4000# are all 3" tube, not the 2 3/4" used previously. To not have to cut out you must go with #10 drums.

I know you requested I list the sizes. I am not going to do that. As soon as I do, someone who has done one axle job will straighten me out. As a professional who does this every week, I tire of being straightened out by people who do this for a hobby. I swapped four axles last week alone. One of the axles was a welded on axle on a 1961. It required major surgery and fabricating two axle mounting plates. It broke my person record for longest axle swap, 18 hours total.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master
 
A W Warn's Avatar
 
2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
A part number? When one orders you give measurements. Airstream axles are completely unique and used only by them. The bracket to bracket measurement is needed, hub face to hub face measurement. How many pounds it carries, Reverse brackets. I always select easy lube bearings and electric brakes. I also only do 22.5 degrees down. My shop does not do the high rider 4x4 look. You also need to know low profile or high profile bracket. It is very easy. Even though there are just three sizes, I always verify with a tape measure. Some times, someone thinking they know better, alters something. They might have ordered just by giving a serial number. The person on the other end automatically gives them low profile and they needed high profile, they then go in and cut the notch so the axle sits against the frame rail. It happens often. Sometimes they order too small and the mounting plate was bent in and shimmed to make it work.
btw, if you order #11 brakes, you are opening up the mounting notch no matter what. Axles over 4000# are all 3" tube, not the 2 3/4" used previously. To not have to cut out you must go with #10 drums.

I know you requested I list the sizes. I am not going to do that. As soon as I do, someone who has done one axle job will straighten me out. As a professional who does this every week, I tire of being straightened out by people who do this for a hobby. I swapped four axles last week alone. One of the axles was a welded on axle on a 1961. It required major surgery and fabricating two axle mounting plates. It broke my person record for longest axle swap, 18 hours total.
Thanks!
I'm just trying to learn what I can.

I've studied the measurement sheets the manufacturers have on their websites. I know I would have to provide those. I understand different load capacities, different types of brakes, down angles, etc.

What does reversed brackets mean? And is this something special for Airstreams?

Will you elaborate what you meant by "only three sizes"? Is it the combinations of different measurements between brackets and/or hub face?
__________________
Alan
2014 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 5.3L maximum trailering package (yes, I'm towing the 34')
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar

 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,840
When I find that stepped Roto Brooch I will be able to drill the holes in 15 seconds or less
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #25
Rivet Master
 
Aerowood's Avatar

 
1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,840
For those that want to order there own axles the procedures for measuring are really pretty straight forward as outlined in the Dexter site. Just remember to order reverse angle mounting brackets. All this means is the mounts are just welded on reverse from the way Dexter welds on the mount angles in their stock configuration

If you order from your local Dexter dealer in your area ( mine is Redneck Trailer Supply) then you do not have to pay for shipping.

Of all the things I've done on my GT this ranks very high in the easy and fast category. Basically what I'm saying here is don't over complicate it
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #26
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
Thanks!
I'm just trying to learn what I can.


Will you elaborate what you meant by "only three sizes"? Is it the combinations of different measurements between brackets and/or hub face?
Bracket to braket measurement is the same as outside of frame rail to outside of frame rail. The frame size does not change with every trailer, it is consistent. Therefore the axles sizes are fairly consistent also.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:39 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
 
Frank's Trailer Works's Avatar
 
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 5,547
Images: 2
So, this Rotobroach... it is a metal cutting hole saw? Is that what I am gathering?
what makes it cut better and faster? Is it the bit or the tool or both. You guys found my weakness for a new tool...
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM   #28
Top
Always learning
 
Top's Avatar
 
1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 2,779
Images: 24
Blog Entries: 2
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Get it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank's Trailer Works View Post
So, this Rotobroach... it is a metal cutting hole saw? Is that what I am gathering?
what makes it cut better and faster? Is it the bit or the tool or both. You guys found my weakness for a new tool...
Blair Equipment 11090N Rotabroach Cutter Kit - Hole Saws - Amazon.com
__________________

__________________
Lance

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
An axle is an axle is an axle? Globie64 Axles 45 01-01-2012 02:25 PM
'90 Limited 34' (Axle and shock replacement) URGENT HELP PLEASE Elf1 Axles 2 02-21-2010 09:20 AM
Is a bent axle a "dead" axle?? Jason1101 Axles 11 12-12-2007 05:40 AM
Single axle or double axle. Which is easier to tow? dottie dawglips Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 11 10-06-2007 11:37 PM
Good Axle/ Bad Axle blucloud Axles 2 05-23-2004 05:15 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.