Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Help on tires: '67 Tradewind 24' double axle

Hi,
We're getting ready to go pick up our 1967 Tradewind 24' double axle in a few weeks. I found it because of this forum! Never thought when I signed up that we'd own one so soon! Everything has gone great, the owner up front and honest, actually seems a little worried that we're not ready for the condition that it's in...but we've done our homework thanks to this place and we're getting what we want: Size, length, floorplan, axles, condition, shell...

OK so, help on tires? Owner says they're only capable of holding air, that they need new for the tow, which is fine, but we need some advice on the new tires. Hubby's driving to Wisconsin for the trailer, from California (it's The One) and although the owner has done the research and there is a Goodyear place near him that sells tires, we want to make the trip as short and painless as possible so we want to know as much as we can.

What was used were 15 x 7. Price isn't the issue - yet. We'll worry about that when we know our choices.

Any help would be really appreciated. After this post I'm going to post some pictures in the airstreamhopeful gallery.

Thanks everybody!
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamhopeful
Hi,
We're getting ready to go pick up our 1967 Tradewind 24' double axle in a few weeks. I found it because of this forum! Never thought when I signed up that we'd own one so soon! Everything has gone great, the owner up front and honest, actually seems a little worried that we're not ready for the condition that it's in...but we've done our homework thanks to this place and we're getting what we want: Size, length, floorplan, axles, condition, shell...

OK so, help on tires? Owner says they're only capable of holding air, that they need new for the tow, which is fine, but we need some advice on the new tires. Hubby's driving to Wisconsin for the trailer, from California (it's The One) and although the owner has done the research and there is a Goodyear place near him that sells tires, we want to make the trip as short and painless as possible so we want to know as much as we can.

What was used were 15 x 7. Price isn't the issue - yet. We'll worry about that when we know our choices.

Any help would be really appreciated. After this post I'm going to post some pictures in the airstreamhopeful gallery.

Thanks everybody!
Everyone will tell you to go with Goodyear Marathons, ST225-75R15. Either load range D or E. I would go with the D's on your trailer. They are kind of pricey, but they are good tires.
That is also almost the same size that your old tires are, within maybe 1/4" or so. You will also get better ride, and a touch better fuel mileage, with the radials. Happy trailering, and watch out for overhead obstacles.
Terry
Old 04-23-2004, 10:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thanks for that, the owner suggested those but asked me to post to see if there were any other recommendations. Now we can shop around for prices, especially CA vs. WI!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
You might want to check the Tire Rack on-line to comparison shop & keep a dealer honest. I would not assume a Goodyear service store or dealer will have the ST 225/75R15 D marathons in stock on short notice. Don't let them put short valve stems in if you are going to have wheel covers.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 08:13 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Unless you are getting wheels to go with those tires there are logistics involved. Like a place near the trailer open the day you are there which will have the tires on hand and be able (willing) to change them for you. It would be ideal if they were a place that can check the wheel bearings for grease also. Check with owner about ball size if you haven't already.
If you buy new wheels and tires from you friendly local dealer and take them with you then you are ahead of the game. I had to order them but that's what I've settled on when I go to pick up a 59 overlander next week.
I am taking a 6 to 7 plug adaptor, 67 should have a 7 already. Tools to change the tires, blocks to put the trailer onto to change the tires, wrench for the retaining nut to pull the hub to check and pack the bearings, grease, new cotter pins, torque wrench (about $40 at Sears) to get the wheels tightened correctly. A Temporary lighting kit in case the trailer brake lights don't work, wire nuts to directly connect the brakes if feasible. ( I have a 4 way plug already on my truck). And duct tape. And a big sign for the back.
Depending on how many miles are on your truck you may want to have the transmission serviced. You should be about due at 3 years old if it was never done. Looks like you will be doing the mountians to get home. Before I started towing with my truck I took it into the dealer service department (I lucky to have a great one) and had it checked out. I figure that if I take excellent care of my truck it will take care of my trailers. Good luck.
PS WD Hitch is worth every penny. Even with my 17 foot it make a hugh difference.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Congratulations!
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 04:07 PM   #7
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
I have 4 near new Carlisle 7.00x15's on Original Airstream rims sitting on a shelf. I'll sell them at a very reasonable price.
The tires have 95% of thread left, and the wheels were sandblasted and powdercoated black. They are the kind that take the baby moon hub caps. ( no have)
Having used both the Carlisles and the Marathons, I'd say the Marathons balance better, but do not necessarily tow better. They are also a smaller diameter than the 7.00x15's. I like the idea of the Marathons on alloys, because of the weight savings.
tirerack.com has them for about $ 70.00 each. My local Goodyear dealer matched their price.
Here is a link for a good source for trailer tires and wheels:
http://www.rjays.com/Wheels/hi-spec-wheels-01.htm
Old 04-24-2004, 11:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Uwe;
Thanks for that offer, but I think since you're in Southern CA and I'm up here in Northern CA, the cost of getting them up here, shipping or driving to get them, would eliminate any savings I would have on the tires, don't you think?

Psychpw:
Husband says he had the transmission serviced at 50k miles on the truck. We can probably call the dealership near where the trailer is and find out whether they'd be willing/able to change tires on the trailer. I'm not sure if we'll need or want new wheels at this point.

ingrid
Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Hi,

I just purchased a 1971 Safari from a guy in Milwaukee, drove out and pulled her back to the Bay Area. Great trip. Two weeks, 5400 miles and 14 states. The tires on her were old Duralon's and after the first day's drive I got nervous, called a few dealers and had 5 (spare also) new Marathons mounted at Heartland Tire in Rochester, Minn. just off I90. They are a Goodyear dealer, had them in stock and had me out the door in two hours for about $540 mounted/balanced for LR-D. Had several in stock. Good folks. Fair price. Ask for Ken.

-john
71_safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2004, 11:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Did it take two weeks because of the work on the trailer? Or is that typical? Husband wants to make the trip as short as possible to get home for work. He's a contractor and we're in the middle of the busy busy busy season.

Any advice on the trip? I've been told to wait a month for better weather. We need to wait until June anyway so that should work out.
Old 05-02-2004, 10:59 PM   #11

1959 26' Overlander
Scituate , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Hi-Yo, Silver! Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-Yo, Silver!
What about inner tubes.......

Ingrid,
Just a thought....

We just purchased a 1959 Overlander yesterday, and when I took the tires to be replaced, they found that they had inner tubes inside of them. It turns out that the big chain store doesn't do inner tubes, and was at a loss as to how to help me. It may also be that the tire tech didn't realize that you could save those inner tubes and float down the river in them....

The tires on the trailer were 15-7's, and the previous owner knew that it had been sitting for close to 25 years. I'm thinking that these might be original rims, and originally they had tubes in them. I haven't seen anyone mention inner tubes here though, so it was a bit of a surprise.

My thoughts after talking with my father-in-law/retired mechanic is that I should be able to switch to a modern tubeless tire, but I might have to put an inner tube in it, as the rim might not be capable of creating a good air seal without a tube.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a more specialized/farm/trailer tire dealer who carries tubes.

I'll post my results here, though I'm thinking others must have come across inner tubes before....

Rob
Hi-Yo, Silver! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 11:04 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
hmmmm. I have done quite a bit of reading and haven't come across any mention of tubes either. I'll be watching this thread.

congratulations on your purchase! Is it your first Airstream?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
Old 05-03-2004, 08:25 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Pinkflamingoes.

DO NOT change your tires to D or E, unless the wheels have had that rating tire on it before.

Most any wheel will fail, according to the manufacturers, if it was in service with a C for an extended time, as an example, and then changed to a D.

The wheel will split along the circumference.

Additionally an E tire will give your trailer a ride that it won't like, which will result in shock failures.

All Airstream and Argosy trailer like a "soft" ride, because they flex.

An E ride might be great at Disney, but not for an Airstream.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 11:38 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Thank you Andy,
I'm going to have to stop in for a hello when we head down on our C ride down to buy an E ticket at Disneyland. I've heard too many good things about you not to.

ingrid
Old 05-03-2004, 12:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
How will we know what the wheel rating is before we change tires?

ingrid
Old 05-03-2004, 05:37 PM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
How will we know what the wheel rating is before we change tires?
Ingrid, look at the tires that are on the wheels now. They will have a letter rating, B is standard load, C is extra load, and of course, D and up can carry more weight.
I had C tires (the originals!) on my trailer when I got it, and I put C's back on, for just the reason Andy told you about. The extra pressure, stiffer sidewalls and tread area, and rougher ride, can cause a catastrophic wheel failure along the center circumference of the wheel.
Somewhere on the tire should say Load Range C, Load Range D, etc.
Terry
Old 05-03-2004, 05:42 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Yo, Silver!
Ingrid,
Just a thought....

We just purchased a 1959 Overlander yesterday, and when I took the tires to be replaced, they found that they had inner tubes inside of them. It turns out that the big chain store doesn't do inner tubes, and was at a loss as to how to help me. It may also be that the tire tech didn't realize that you could save those inner tubes and float down the river in them....

The tires on the trailer were 15-7's, and the previous owner knew that it had been sitting for close to 25 years. I'm thinking that these might be original rims, and originally they had tubes in them. I haven't seen anyone mention inner tubes here though, so it was a bit of a surprise.

My thoughts after talking with my father-in-law/retired mechanic is that I should be able to switch to a modern tubeless tire, but I might have to put an inner tube in it, as the rim might not be capable of creating a good air seal without a tube.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a more specialized/farm/trailer tire dealer who carries tubes.

I'll post my results here, though I'm thinking others must have come across inner tubes before....

Rob
Rob, all the old units with split-rims had tube-type tires. The single piece wheel, in addition to being safer to work with, don't have an open seam that can leak air, and can get the tubeless tires. The split rim, by the way, was outlawed many years ago, although I occasionally see them come into my shop.
Also, if you got bias tires, be sure to get tubes suitable for bias, and the same for the radial. It is more important for the radial to have radial tubes.
Terry
Old 05-04-2004, 09:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Pinkflamingoes.

Unfortunately, the wheel ratings are usually stamped on the inside of the wheel. Not a good system, but that's the way it is.

If you plan on extended travels, check the wheels carefully.

If they are rusted or pitted, you may wish to replace them.

If you replace them, it's a small price for great security.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Ah well, it won't the the last time we have to do some crawling around the trailer...we definitely are putting new tires on it, maybe new wheels if necessary. The owner has told us the tires are only capable of holding air at this point. He seems be concerned for our safety as well...willing to help and investigate anything we need. Seems to be typical of airstream owners! Great bunch of people.

ingrid
Old 05-04-2004, 05:23 PM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ingrid

follow ricks advice, he had no problems with the goodyear dealer down the road from him.

i plan on taking my trailer there next time i need tires.

john