Old 05-03-2004, 01:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
How will we know what the wheel rating is before we change tires?

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2004, 06:37 PM   #16
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
How will we know what the wheel rating is before we change tires?
Ingrid, look at the tires that are on the wheels now. They will have a letter rating, B is standard load, C is extra load, and of course, D and up can carry more weight.
I had C tires (the originals!) on my trailer when I got it, and I put C's back on, for just the reason Andy told you about. The extra pressure, stiffer sidewalls and tread area, and rougher ride, can cause a catastrophic wheel failure along the center circumference of the wheel.
Somewhere on the tire should say Load Range C, Load Range D, etc.
Terry

Old 05-03-2004, 06:42 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Yo, Silver!
Ingrid,
Just a thought....

We just purchased a 1959 Overlander yesterday, and when I took the tires to be replaced, they found that they had inner tubes inside of them. It turns out that the big chain store doesn't do inner tubes, and was at a loss as to how to help me. It may also be that the tire tech didn't realize that you could save those inner tubes and float down the river in them....

The tires on the trailer were 15-7's, and the previous owner knew that it had been sitting for close to 25 years. I'm thinking that these might be original rims, and originally they had tubes in them. I haven't seen anyone mention inner tubes here though, so it was a bit of a surprise.

My thoughts after talking with my father-in-law/retired mechanic is that I should be able to switch to a modern tubeless tire, but I might have to put an inner tube in it, as the rim might not be capable of creating a good air seal without a tube.

Tomorrow I'm going to try a more specialized/farm/trailer tire dealer who carries tubes.

I'll post my results here, though I'm thinking others must have come across inner tubes before....

Rob
Rob, all the old units with split-rims had tube-type tires. The single piece wheel, in addition to being safer to work with, don't have an open seam that can leak air, and can get the tubeless tires. The split rim, by the way, was outlawed many years ago, although I occasionally see them come into my shop.
Also, if you got bias tires, be sure to get tubes suitable for bias, and the same for the radial. It is more important for the radial to have radial tubes.
Terry
Old 05-04-2004, 10:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Pinkflamingoes.

Unfortunately, the wheel ratings are usually stamped on the inside of the wheel. Not a good system, but that's the way it is.

If you plan on extended travels, check the wheels carefully.

If they are rusted or pitted, you may wish to replace them.

If you replace them, it's a small price for great security.

Andy
Old 05-04-2004, 12:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Ah well, it won't the the last time we have to do some crawling around the trailer...we definitely are putting new tires on it, maybe new wheels if necessary. The owner has told us the tires are only capable of holding air at this point. He seems be concerned for our safety as well...willing to help and investigate anything we need. Seems to be typical of airstream owners! Great bunch of people.

ingrid
Old 05-04-2004, 06:23 PM   #20
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
ingrid

follow ricks advice, he had no problems with the goodyear dealer down the road from him.

i plan on taking my trailer there next time i need tires.

john
Old 05-04-2004, 07:56 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
thanks I will do that. Rick's been really helpful.

ingrid
Old 05-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #22

1959 26' Overlander
Scituate , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to Hi-Yo, Silver! Send a message via Yahoo to Hi-Yo, Silver!
Found tires...

First, thanks Argosy for the info on the split rims. The dealer I went to thought that some of them had been outlawed also, as to whether he could replace them or not. Luckily for me, mine are serviceable.

I now have new tires on my rims, of a Load Range C variety.

Advice to Ingrid and others on tires for split rims/with tubes. I did eventually find tires that would work along with inner tubes to go in them. It turns out that these can most easily be found at commercial tire places. There is one place in Wis. that I can think of though that might be good to check out. It's calle Fleet Farm. It is kind of like a Kmart/Home Depot/Farm store. I don't know for certain if them carry inner tubes and tires to go with, but you might try to find out.

One other thought, if you are thinking about just getting new rims/wheels, you might want to ask the seller if they could take one of the old rims to a dealer to find out what size and bolt patter the wheel is. I was thinking about possibly getting new rims, but I didn't have the time to wait to find them--plus for what we are going to use if for right now, it won't be moving a lot.

And yes, Ingrid, it is our first Airstream, and I just finished spending three hours polishing one side......

Later,
Rob

Disclaimer.....

The views expressed above are mine, and they might be wrong, or they might be right, but there they are the sum of my current knowledge.....