Old 10-07-2013, 11:51 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
Help: I need a Dexter axle part number.....

I bent an axel last summer on my 1999 23 foot Safari. I have tried several times to find out what axel I need on this forum without success. I have talked to Andy and Colin Hyde and they both told me that I should replace both axels. They both were very helpful and said they could sell me the axels that I need. But this would be a very expensive option for me and if I can get the Dexter part number I could order the axels from a San Antonio outfit, get free shipping and save several hundred dollars. I'm pretty sure my trailer has Henschen axels, they have a plate on 'em that says Dura torque 3000. The Airstream parts people gave me their part number, (7300207H) for the Dexter axels that they now use, I guess, but apparently neither Airstream or Dexter has a cross reference to translate the Airstream number into the Dexter number. Or at least they won't tell me what it is. Any help would be much appreciated...Charlie

Old 10-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by raincrow View Post
I bent an axel last summer on my 1999 23 foot Safari. I have tried several times to find out what axel I need on this forum without success. I have talked to Andy and Colin Hyde and they both told me that I should replace both axels. They both were very helpful and said they could sell me the axels that I need. But this would be a very expensive option for me and if I can get the Dexter part number I could order the axels from a San Antonio outfit, get free shipping and save several hundred dollars. I'm pretty sure my trailer has Henschen axels, they have a plate on 'em that says Dura torque 3000. The Airstream parts people gave me their part number, (7300207H) for the Dexter axels that they now use, I guess, but apparently neither Airstream or Dexter has a cross reference to translate the Airstream number into the Dexter number. Or at least they won't tell me what it is. Any help would be much appreciated...Charlie
This is kind of like going into a shoe store and trying on a pair of shoes, then ordering them from Amazon because you can save some $. Kind of.
If you go to the Dexter website you can locate directions on how to measure your existing axles and then provide that information to a supplier who will then order the axle for you. If you mis-measure then you have an axle or two that won't fit and you're out the cost of the axles and shipping.
I took my trailer to a local RV repair company that has experience in replacing AS axles and let them measure, order and install. That way if there was a screw up it was on their nickle and not mine. And I'm glad I did it, because there was a screw up, and now somebody (not me) has an axle sitting around that can't be used.
Andy and Colin have spent a lot of time and money developing their data base, and if you order from them, you can be assured that the axle they sell you will fit. If it doesn't, they will make it right.
So the question you need to ask is if you trust your measurements enough to maybe save a few bucks. If I were in Andy or Colins' position, I wouldn't give away that information, no legitimate business would.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
How do you know you bent the axle?
They come from the factory with an arch or bend in the middle.
Did you hit something to cause the damage?
Old 10-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
I was told I bent it because the new tire I put on one side wore almost completely bald within about 1000 miles. I did hit a small curb coming out of a gas station. I was very surprised that bent the axel or spindle, or whatever because I was only going about 2MPH. But it did dent the wheel enough so that the tire went flat. What is your opinion?
Old 10-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Riverside , United States
Dexter 10TF35-545E is the Dexter axle number, there will be additional letters depending on the spindle type, brake type, NL Never Lube SA self adjusting, and the bracket dimension, orientation and down angle would be added to the order sheet.
Greg
Old 10-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I may be mistaken and will stand correction, but I think these axles can be aligned. Of course one can be damaged beyond repair, but if it was mine I'd exhaust the possibility of an alignment before buying a new axle. You seem not too far from some larger cities so ask around.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Dexter axles are pretty much custom order. First thing you need to decide is a #10 or heavier #11 axle. then axle rating. Next you will need a bunch of different maeasurements and how exactly you want your axle configured. There are posts on this on the forum. It's a little complicated and if you goof you are stuck with an axle that does not fit. If this is something that is a little too scary go to an Airstream or Dexter dealer.

Yes, axles can be straightened but finding someone who knows how, or is willing to do it is harder than finding milk on a boar hog. But no one can straighten a bent spindle.

Aligning axles is a different animal. Does the trailer track straight or is it crabbing when towed?
Old 10-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Are you sure the rim is not the problem? Suspend the axle and tire, spin the tire and look for runout.
It would take a lot of force to bend the spindle or the axle.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
Thanks Twinkie, I'll try that. But what do you mean by runout? If I can solve the problem without spending a couple of grand it would be great. At some point you think WTF and just buy new tires when they wear out.......
Old 10-07-2013, 09:57 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Does the tire/rim move in and out relative to the frame or wheel well of the trailer. In other words. Does it wobble in and out?
Old 10-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
I really appreciate your help Twinkie. I did what you said and could not see any wobble in the wheel. I took the tire off and looked closely at the axel and other parts that project beyond the frame and everything looked straight to me.
After getting conflicting advice on here and from various calls to different people I have pretty much decided to buy a new tire have it balanced and mounted and just monitor the wear. This will cost $100+- compared to $2000+ to replace both axels. Maybe the tire was the problem. It was the spare and looked new but it could have been several years old (I just bought the trailer in January). Thanks to everybody for their help.....
Old 10-14-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It woul dbe most helpful if you reported back your results in say 30 or 60 days assuming there is usage.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 10-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1999 23' Safari
blanco , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Action View Post
It woul dbe most helpful if you reported back your results in say 30 or 60 days assuming there is usage.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
I will report the results of my experiment, but it could take several months because I don't get out much...Charlie
Old 10-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by raincrow View Post
I really appreciate your help Twinkie. I did what you said and could not see any wobble in the wheel. I took the tire off and looked closely at the axel and other parts that project beyond the frame and everything looked straight to me.
After getting conflicting advice on here and from various calls to different people I have pretty much decided to buy a new tire have it balanced and mounted and just monitor the wear. This will cost $100+- compared to $2000+ to replace both axels. Maybe the tire was the problem. It was the spare and looked new but it could have been several years old (I just bought the trailer in January). Thanks to everybody for their help.....
I need a little more info to help you.Looking at the frame or axles you may not be able to see any damage. It doesn't take much to cause a tire to wear very badly. I am talking 3/8" will be enough to wear out a tire.If you had a bent rim it would probably cause the trailer to bounce a slow speed and probably clear up the faster you go. I don't think replacing the tire and wheel is not going to fix your problem. You stated your tire was worn bald in 1000 miles. Was it worn all the way across the tread? Only on the inside or outside of the tire? That will tell me whether it is camber or toe problem that is out. Most likely it can be aligned and fixed. Find a local alignment shop that can fit larger trucks on their rack and they should be able to align it. You DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO AN RV SHOP TO GET THIS DONE. No it is not hard to find an alignment shop to do this. I live in a small town in east TN. and there are 3 shops there that I can get a trailer aligned at.