Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-19-2019, 04:47 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Brockville , Ontario
Hi Action,

I guess in 1961 they must have used some and then made it official in 1962 - the article you reference describes both as the first year. Certainly the axles on my 1963 are bolted on, thankfully. Interestingly, they still have a negative angle, and may still have some life in them. I still intend to replace while access is easy. At the moment I have the axles nicely exposed with the floor up and bellypan off. I've been soaking the bolts to loosen them, and it looks like they'll move easily.

I believe my Sovereign spent much of its life sitting in the same place in Quebec. There is very little evidence of years spent rolling down the road, although while gutting the interior I did find some postcards from mid-60s locations on the Montreal-Florida route.

Sadly, I also think at some point a large amount of ice slid onto the roof from an adjacent barn. I've got things mostly back into acceptable shape, and the pieces are starting to go back together now.
Strangmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
There is a link that I didn't find. And searching this forum may turn up a very old thread.

I believe the switch was a running change. So the switch wasn't done on the start of a model year. I do know the first ones were welded on. Many of those trailers from that period are no longer on the road. It is easier to get a new trailer than it is to cut off an axle assy from a 50 60 year old trailer that may have other issues.

Good luck with your restoration.

I am a firm believer in staying with the original design. Changing from leaf to torsion or from torsion to leaf is possible. However it is rather expensive and the possibility of errors are far greater.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action