Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Hayes Axles

Howdy all,

I'm looking at an Airstream that has had new axles put on it. The are manufactured by Hayes. They look decent to me. I went to Hayes website and they appear to be a large manufacturer that makes lots of axles. I've also known guys with Hayes (Al-Ko) axles on their utility trailers. These axles were installed three years ago.

Does anybody have any opinions of Hayes? Are they OK? Usually all you see are Henschen or Dexter. Just wondered what you all knew.

Thanks,
Old 06-20-2007, 05:49 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Not to badger, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGolden
... I'm looking at an Airstream that has had new axles put on it. ...
Are you still planning to build a Super-Frame for your current Airstream?

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Well, I had got all set up to do it when....in talking with some guys on here and a bunch of PM's I started really taking a look. Turns out my old one isn't sagging. I've got a wee bit of separation, but the frame is OK.

They put my lower trim line on the street side slightly at an angle, low at the back. I thought that was showing my frame was sagging. But if you sight down the main trim band (big blue one), it's arrow straight.

So, I can't really justify the new one anymore. It'd be cool, but I don't think it needs it.

I've had several guys inquire about buying my trailer, and I've been looking at some others (all silver...but not all Airstream ) and am having some heretical thoughts of selling it and getting one ready to rock now.

Besides, my wife yelled at me to "...get rid of the turd in the driveway and get one we can go camping in now!"

You know how it goes....

I still think its a good design though.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Howdy all,

I'm looking at an Airstream that has had new axles put on it. The are manufactured by Hayes. They look decent to me. I went to Hayes website and they appear to be a large manufacturer that makes lots of axles. I've also known guys with Hayes (Al-Ko) axles on their utility trailers. These axles were installed three years ago.

Does anybody have any opinions of Hayes? Are they OK? Usually all you see are Henschen or Dexter. Just wondered what you all knew.

Thanks,
Hayes indeed makes torsion axles.

But they have the same problems as Dexter, namely, nothing standard to fit an Airstream.

I would suggest you check the size of the brakes, and the axle ratings, as well as the starting angle. Generally speaking, Hayes axles have a starting angle less than the original equipment or far in excess for an Airstream. They do not show anything in between.

Do you still have adequate clearance between the top of the tires and the wheel well covers?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I'm going to look at it tomorrow...I'll let you know.

I talked to the RV place that put them on. They installed them in Dec. 2003. They told me they called Airstream to see what they could get for the owner, but were told they couldn't buy Henschens. So they asked for the specs. They then got a set from Hayes that matched the specs as closely as possible. They said they think it has 12" brakes on it, but I will verify when I look at it.

I've seen photos of the trailer (a Sovereign) and it appears to sit about right.

They're 3500lb axles. I thought that was a tad light, but they said that's what Airstream told them. I guess a sovereign is a little lighter than my Excella, so they probably do gross about 7000lbs.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:34 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm going to look at it tomorrow...I'll let you know.

I talked to the RV place that put them on. They installed them in Dec. 2003. They told me they called Airstream to see what they could get for the owner, but were told they couldn't buy Henschens. So they asked for the specs. They then got a set from Hayes that matched the specs as closely as possible. They said they think it has 12" brakes on it, but I will verify when I look at it.

I've seen photos of the trailer (a Sovereign) and it appears to sit about right.

They're 3500lb axles. I thought that was a tad light, but they said that's what Airstream told them. I guess a sovereign is a little lighter than my Excella, so they probably do gross about 7000lbs.
Jim.

3500 pounds is a slight upgrade from the original 3200 pounds.

Excella's are 4000 pounds.

Airstream tells callers that they cannot buy "direct" from Henschen, and to call us.

Andy
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

If they are new, why change without trying them out, if they are not to your liking then invest in new ones. I would try Dexter it will save you $$$$$.
Excella3287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:48 AM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excella3287
If they are new, why change without trying them out, if they are not to your liking then invest in new ones. I would try Dexter it will save you $$$$$.

I don't believe he wants to change them out. I believe he is just asking for opinions about the Hayes axles on this trailer. Because he hasn't bought the trailer yet. So he wants data before he commits to buying it.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 06-25-2007, 06:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
I looked at the trailer but passed on it...

On the axles, they did look new, but the swing arms were angled up probably 10-15 degrees. The trailer appeared to sit at about the right ride height though, and on level concrete with the trailer level I measured the tongue height at the ball at about 19.75".

It had 10" brakes on it. When I hooked it to my truck to move it across the yard, I couldn't get the brakes to work.

The shell on it was perfect though, and it was well taken care of.

Anyway, were I to put new axles on it, I'd want the bigger brakes.

Andy, it was December '03 that they put these axles on. I'm only repeating what the RV shop told me, but they said they called Airstream and that Airstream wouldn't sell them the proper axles, but gave them the specs to go by. I don't know why they wouldn't have simply called you. It would have made life easier on them. They did have to do some modifications to the brackets to get it to fit up. It looked like a neat install though. Just, to me, not enough brake on a trailer that big.

cheers,
Old 06-26-2007, 09:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I looked at the trailer but passed on it...

On the axles, they did look new, but the swing arms were angled up probably 10-15 degrees. The trailer appeared to sit at about the right ride height though, and on level concrete with the trailer level I measured the tongue height at the ball at about 19.75".

It had 10" brakes on it. When I hooked it to my truck to move it across the yard, I couldn't get the brakes to work.

The shell on it was perfect though, and it was well taken care of.

Anyway, were I to put new axles on it, I'd want the bigger brakes.

Andy, it was December '03 that they put these axles on. I'm only repeating what the RV shop told me, but they said they called Airstream and that Airstream wouldn't sell them the proper axles, but gave them the specs to go by. I don't know why they wouldn't have simply called you. It would have made life easier on them. They did have to do some modifications to the brackets to get it to fit up. It looked like a neat install though. Just, to me, not enough brake on a trailer that big.

cheers,
Interesting note about Hayes.

They no longer sell to retail customers.

In fact, they no longer sell to companies such as us.

They stated that "we are too small for them." They require a minimum of $100,000.00 per year accounts, or else. Nice way to kiss an account off after 20 years.

WOW.

Must be nice to have nothing but multi million dollar accounts for customers.

Andy
Old 07-11-2007, 09:12 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Hayes!

Hayes is owned by Al-Ko Kober, the largest producer of axles in the World!
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Hayes axles

Hayes indeed, is the largest manufacturer of standard spring suspended axles but a very small manufacturer of torsion axles.

As of this date July 11, 2007, according to their Ontario California plant, they do not deal with retail trade.

Additionally, they do not make a torsion axle that will fit an Airstream, without numerous changes, that they are not interested in doing, unless a large quantity of axles are ordered, like 50 to 100.

If interested, the retail customer must go through a Hayes dealer.

Andy
Old 07-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
What brand now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Interesting note about Hayes.

They stated that "we are too small for them." They require a minimum of $100,000.00 per year accounts, or else. Nice way to kiss an account off after 20 years..................................
Do you still sell the same brand?

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 PM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastrob
Do you still sell the same brand?

R
We sell the GKN Henschen axles, only.

We have a contract with Henschen as well as with Airstream that gives us the exclusive right to sell those axles.

We do not have to design each and every axle that someone may order, as you must do with other manufacturers of torsion axles.

We also strive to keep Airstream and Argosy trailers as original whenever possible.

Andy
Old 07-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Right!

Andy is correct about Hayes not making many torsion axles!

Al-Ko however, is the largest producer of torsion axles in the World. Dexter is the largest in the U.S.A. however outside of the U.S Al-Ko is the king! Hayes is a small piece of Al-Ko Kober.

Additionally, Inland is exclusive on Airstream axles by GKN Henschen for Airstream units 20 years old and older.

Cheers,
Henry
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:28 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Hayes is fine.
I think this thread sort of went off-topic.
If the axles ride fine then they are good to go.
How do they look from underneath? Do they look to be only a few years old? Anything that looks abnormal?
Is there anything that would make you question what you were told about the age of the axles?
Just keep in mind, a torsion axle is a torsion axle. They have been around for many, many years. It is far from cutting-edge technology. What you put on it to fit a specific application is irrelevant. Any local axle shop can take care of these things; usually they can improve upon them.
If I were you I would worry if I were being told the truth about the history of the axles.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
They looked brand new and in fine condition. And I called the RV place and spoke with the service people there and they had all the records of the install. I had no reason to doubt him.

Want to see a real suspension? Check this out: Six wheel independant, an swingarm for each axle, six spring packs and six shocks. Slick!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension4.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	41078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Suspension5.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	41079  

Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
They looked brand new and in fine condition. And I called the RV place and spoke with the service people there and they had all the records of the install. I had no reason to doubt him.

Want to see a real suspension? Check this out: Six wheel independant, an swingarm for each axle, six spring packs and six shocks. Slick!
HOOCHIE-MAMA! That sure is a purdy set up!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 11:57 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:

HOLY COW!
That is AWESOME!
One heck of a set-up man!
SWEET!
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 03:14 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:

SWEET.............
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote