Old 10-05-2017, 05:32 AM   #57
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
1966 24' Tradewind
Columbus , Ohio
axles

So I couldn't for the life of me get a hold of Colin so I turned to Inland.

The order got lost.

They were very apologetic.

The order arrived 6 weeks later with axles rated 7,000 lbs. But they're for a '66 TradeWind and only needed to be 4,500 lbs.

Inland "I've been doing this for 51 years. How long have they been doing this?" won't take a return. That is now in dispute with the cc company.

Ordered another set through the axle shop who's doing the work.
Now they're here and being installed next week.

Moral of the story, order your own axles. If you trust your shop or your measuring skills. Ask the forum, there're people here that can help you.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation, time, money.

Old 10-05-2017, 06:41 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
following along to see how this works out. 7K vs 4.5K is quite a bit is difference in axle cap. is there a difference other than the cap. of the two axles?..

would 7K provide too harsh a ride vs 4.5K? my guess the brake hub is larger etc.

hope you get it worked out with Andy, they seem like stand up guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtmanor View Post
So I couldn't for the life of me get a hold of Colin so I turned to Inland.

The order got lost.

They were very apologetic.

The order arrived 6 weeks later with axles rated 7,000 lbs. But they're for a '66 TradeWind and only needed to be 4,500 lbs.

Inland "I've been doing this for 51 years. How long have they been doing this?" won't take a return. That is now in dispute with the cc company.

Ordered another set through the axle shop who's doing the work.
Now they're here and being installed next week.

Moral of the story, order your own axles. If you trust your shop or your measuring skills. Ask the forum, there're people here that can help you.

Save yourself a lot of aggravation, time, money.

TUG2.net check it out for good rental deals
2003 F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L PowerStroke
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #59
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
There seems to be a lot of error in the axle business. The first time I needed axles (2006), I ordered directly from Axis. They put the brackets on the wrong way (switched back to front) and had to send me another set. There was no excuse for the error as they had my old axles there at the factory to copy. On the second set they sent me, one of the axles had a different angle of drop on one end as compared to the other. It was obvious at a glance, yet they spent hundreds of dollars on shipping and import duties to send it to me. So they had to send me another axle to replace that one. If you're keeping score, they had to send me 5 axles before I had a pair that I could use.

By the next time I needed axles (different trailer, 2009), Axis was no longer taking orders directly from customers so I went through Colin. Again Axis messed up by putting the brackets on the wrong way, and the weight rating was 200 lbs lower than ordered. I spoke to someone there and they admitted it was their mistake, not Colin's. Colin was good to deal with and even with Axis's error I received the axles within a reasonable time.

I know there have been many posts here from people who have had good experiences ordering axles, but if doing it again I would get everything in writing and double-check every specification so I have something to back me up if things go wrong.

1946 Spartan Manor
1954 Va-Ka-Shun-Ette
1964 Overlander
1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper
1974 Sovereign
2005 F-350 SRW 4x4 crew cab long box
TAC ON-5
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:27 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
My axle came from Colin & was a smooth transaction.
The problem was the welded on shock mounts. There were 2 lefts as opposed to a L&R.
I made it work but really look them over before accepting it.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:09 PM   #61
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by carl2591 View Post
following along to see how this works out. 7K vs 4.5K is quite a bit is difference in axle cap. is there a difference other than the cap. of the two axles?..

would 7K provide too harsh a ride vs 4.5K? my guess the brake hub is larger etc.

hope you get it worked out with Andy, they seem like stand up guys.
"stand up guys" ...? my interaction with him has been less than stand up.. lots of info on forums here ..
Old 10-07-2017, 03:59 AM   #62
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
Sorry about this experience. If a vendor is going to use this thread to troll for business and continually try and sell the forum members axles, He must also expect the forum members to post reviews of his services EVEN things get messed up.

Thats just my honest opinion.

Regardless of who's fault this is ?? You now own a $1200 dollar set of axles that are useless. What are you suppose to d make a coffee table out of them??

VTS Please start selling Axles!- We would gladly give you are $$$$
Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Our local "big rig" supply store could have gotten my axle for me, same brand I got from Colin. The only catch was I had to fill out a form with the axle down angle, load rating etc... I had no clue about this.
They offered to measure it for me if I brought the trailer to them. The floor & frame was in such bad shape I didn't want to tow it over there.
Anyhow you don't have to go thru Colin or Andy. You can shop locally for axles.
I'm sure if you called the axle company directly they would tell you who their dealers are in your area.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
1966Florida

Some valid context in your post however,

They (Colin and Andy) don't use this forum and troll this thread constantly trying to seek us out to sell us axels.

We seek them out because of their vast incredible expertise and our lack of knowledge of the various vintages and axels.

As is sometimes the case with crafts persons maybe it's just their office abilities that are lacking.

Yes I have ordered from both locations.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
I have decided to order my axles locally. I have a parts house that specializes in (boat) trailers but also carries car parts I have dealt with for over 30 years. When I bought bearings for my 25 and for my ProPride from them I discovered they buy from Redneck Trailer Supply, who is a Dexter Distributor. The axles will be delivered to their shop no charge. They will install them for me. I will be there to supervise from an Airstream perspective. Hopefully they won't charge extra if I help.

I will probably do my disc brake upgrade at the same time.

I haven't fully made this decision yet, but I'm thinking about leaving the shocks off. I have had one member here tell me they did and the ride was fine. Dexter says shocks are not required. I can believe that the spring characteristics of the rubber based torsion axle are different enough that maybe shocks are not needed. HAs anyone had a bad experience that was attributed to not having (or having bad, but not frozen) shocks?

Thanks,

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:07 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1965 24' Tradewind
1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
Mesa , Arizona
Al and Missy,

I read, here on the forums I believe, that shocks are not required on cars either but they sure do make the ride smoother....

Seeing as how we put a lot of breakable (not fancy or fragile) things into the trailer we may as well make the ride as smooth as possible, for the stuff.

Not like we'll ever know the difference in ride as were not going to do a Lucy and bounce​ around in the back.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:16 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittenstiehl View Post
Al and Missy,

I read, here on the forums I believe, that shocks are not required on cars either but they sure do make the ride smoother....

Seeing as how we put a lot of breakable (not fancy or fragile) things into the trailer we may as well make the ride as smooth as possible, for the stuff.

Not like we'll ever know the difference in ride as were not going to do a Lucy and bounce​ around in the back.
What I was saying is that conventional leaf and coil springs and the coil springs in struts have a different characteristic and need the damping effect of a shock absorber. I know how a car performs without shocks, but the manufacturer of the axle (Dexter) says shocks are not needed with their axles. Airstream puts them on, so I'd like to think there is a reason for them, but maybe it's just a holdover from when Airstreams had leaf springs. One member I queried about how he got his axles and how did he get the shock brackets installed responded that he did not fit the shocks and can't tell any difference in the handling.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2017, 08:56 PM   #68
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
My opinion is that the shocks are going to give the trailer a smoother ride and keep the tire more controlled against the pavement. Have you ever been on a washboarded gravel road in a car with bad shocks? The vehicle can get squirrelly. Try it again with new shocks and it will be a much better experience. You can certainly get by without shocks but it is part of the Airstream designed suspension - to make a smoother ride.

Btw Dexter axle can be ordered at any Dexter dealership to any spec you want, you just have to know what to order.
Hensley with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM   #69
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
Orlando , Florida
"They (Colin and Andy) don't use this forum and troll this thread constantly trying to seek us out to sell us axels."

Since I have owned my trailer (4+ years now) I have seen Andy on these forums multiple times trying to convince new Airstream owners to replace there axles and buy axles from him.

Thats why I went with Colin he did not give me a hard sell and was very nice and knowledgeable on the phone but I didn't hear from Colin for eight additional weeks so that didn't work out well either.
Old 10-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #70
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, Andy hasn't been on the Forum for years. Before his " banning", he offered anyone who asked his opinion an all things Airstream.

Did everyone agree with him all the time? No.

Did he misuse the Forum to sell products? No.

Did he give me honest advise on axle replacement, including appropriate capacity, need, and compatibility? Yes.

He should be retired and living full time in Hawaii but he goes to work most days. If you call Inland, someone WILL answer the phone and, if he is around, you can ask to talk to Andy.

I have never had anything but fine dealings with his company.

Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote