Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2019, 05:14 PM   #21
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrTwinkie View Post
Are the bearing and seals AS specific or if I pull them to the numbers off them can I take them to someplace like NAPA and have them cross reference them?
Also what about the shacks, wondering if I pulled one if I could measure the extended length and the collapsed length along with the eyelet size then have a parts tore order a set of 4 with the measurements. Would be nice to find small air shocks to fit the unit, one I could get factory ride height back and 2 I could use them to level side to side in extreme situations that I don't have enough leveling blocks. LOL. Air shocks is just an after thought though.
For shocks, get the ones sold by Airstream. No good will come from adding air shocks, air bags, or helper springs, and no, you can't get the factory ride back by doing this. All you will succeed doing is wasting time and money, and damaging your trailer.
Old 02-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #22
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlvrTwinkie View Post
Are the bearing and seals AS specific or if I pull them to the numbers off them can I take them to someplace like NAPA and have them cross reference them?

However the bearings and seals are not AS specific. And carrying an extra set with some grease and tools while traveling is prudent.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-28-2019, 07:12 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
DRATS on the shocks. As for the bearing and seals, that's good to know that they are pretty much standard. And yeah it is a good idea to carry extras with you on any type of trailer be it a TT, utility trailer or a boat trailer. I always carry a "small" tool box with me. Small enough I could tear down and do an in frame rebuild on the engine of the TV if needed. One reason I like my GM vehicles.
SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:57 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 22' Sport
High River , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
For reference:

Nev-R-Lube= sealed non serviceable bearings.

EZ Lube = standard bearings with a zerk fitting so you can pump enough grease into the hub to blow the inner seal, and contaminate the brake shoes.

Lol! I had a trailer with EZ Lubes, and I never liked them. I serviced every two years, because I wanted to pull the drums to check the brakes. And yes, I had a set of contaminated linings one summer.

I repacked in the conventional manner.

I prefer cotter pins to the EZ Lube retainers as well.
AlbertF is offline   Reply With Quote