Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Grease seal P/Ns

Viewers taking in today's traffic have probably figured out my hands have been greasy today

While I question the workmanship with what I have found, the fact remains that I will replace the grease seals on what appear to be the original Kelsey-Hayes, 12 inch electric brake drums.

Working on the streetside only, I found the forward wheel's single lip seal was stamped Kelsey-Hayes 42385 on the metal ring.

The aft wheel's single lip seal was stamped National 442109 on the metal side, and S-5152 was cast into the inner side of the rubber seal.

While the name Kelsey-Hayes is no longer around, I figure National probably is. Since I will probably have to mail-order any parts I need, does anyone have another seal vendor/part number to offer, or any other words of wisdom in dealing with my '67 Overlander?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Viewers taking in today's traffic have probably figured out my hands have been greasy today

While I question the workmanship with what I have found, the fact remains that I will replace the grease seals on what appear to be the original Kelsey-Hayes, 12 inch electric brake drums.

Working on the streetside only, I found the forward wheel's single lip seal was stamped Kelsey-Hayes 42385 on the metal ring.

The aft wheel's single lip seal was stamped National 442109 on the metal side, and S-5152 was cast into the inner side of the rubber seal.

While the name Kelsey-Hayes is no longer around, I figure National probably is. Since I will probably have to mail-order any parts I need, does anyone have another seal vendor/part number to offer, or any other words of wisdom in dealing with my '67 Overlander?

Thanks,
Tom
I can't speak for your 67 but, on my 87, I found a fairly good selection of sizes at O'Reilly auto parts. They have a line of american made german owned, and a chinese knockoff. Can't remember brand name.

Also found exact replacements at Luckey B trailer supply in Cookeville, Tn and on line at www.luckyb.com. They are all chinese. Bearing races are plain steel vs. alloy. Dexter brand. Lucky B people are fairly knowledgeable mainly due to how standardized the trailer industry is on 10" or 12".

Did your seals have a stainless steel coiled spring to hold them tight to the axle? These are superior quality seals and becoming hard to find. Airstream had the good ones when I looked in Lansing. These seals don't need changing but, every few years if they have the springs.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
National and Chicago Rawhide are 2 biggies in the seal world. If you have a number any decent parts or trailer place should be able get these if they don't stock them

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot1
...Also found exact replacements at Luckey B trailer supply in Cookeville, Tn and on line at www.luckyb.com. They are all chinese. Bearing races are plain steel vs. alloy. Dexter brand. Lucky B people are fairly knowledgeable mainly due to how standardized the trailer industry is on 10" or 12".

Did your seals have a stainless steel coiled spring to hold them tight to the axle? These are superior quality seals and becoming hard to find. Airstream had the good ones when I looked in Lansing. These seals don't need changing but, every few years if they have the springs.
Thanks for the info!

To my surpise, neither of the two seals I have removed had coiled springs ensuring a tight fit. The seals had weeped a small amount of grease into the brake shoe area, but nothing I was alarmed about.

I know Cookeville. I heard there was an Airstream dealer opening up on Commercial Drive. Been there yet? My wife and I will stay in Cookeville as a stopover on the World's Longest Yardsale trek next month. If you have been to the new dealer, is it worth stopping at?

Thanks,
Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:07 PM   #5
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Grease seal part #

The seal #'s that I have used are:

3M? 29031
Auto Zone 012038
Timkin 442109
Dexter 010-054-00

Some had a spring and some did not. All except the Dexter did well. I don't know about the Dexter cause I haven't repacked the bearings since I have installed them.

>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 07-18-2004, 08:36 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Any NAPA auto parts store has them, with the springs.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcwilliams
Thanks for the info!

To my surpise, neither of the two seals I have removed had coiled springs ensuring a tight fit. The seals had weeped a small amount of grease into the brake shoe area, but nothing I was alarmed about.

I know Cookeville. I heard there was an Airstream dealer opening up on Commercial Drive. Been there yet? My wife and I will stay in Cookeville as a stopover on the World's Longest Yardsale trek next month. If you have been to the new dealer, is it worth stopping at?

Thanks,
Tom
I have stopped a couple times. He has a good selection of trailers(no 30' or 34' slides) and 3-4 motorhomes. I have checked a couple times on misc parts and have been referred to the Heritage Ford location to use their computer to order. Same owner.
I talked to one of airstream techs at Lansing and he said he had been to Cookeville one time to train their service people plus they have been to Jackson center. It sounds like they are slowing getting there. They still haven't built a service building on the Commercial drive site.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 AM   #8

1963 22' Safari
Mascotte , Florida
The national seal #412920 is an exact replacement for the Kelsey-Hayes 42385 and it has the spring that holds it tight to the axle. I got them at our local Advance auto parts.
Muckgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 28
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckgyver View Post
The national seal #412920 is an exact replacement for the Kelsey-Hayes 42385 and it has the spring that holds it tight to the axle. I got them at our local Advance auto parts.
Welcome to the forum, but you are posting to an 8 year old thread.