2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hello again uwe,

yes independent suspension ,and smoother ,forgot about that for some reason .Those over rated axles in the beginning of your install hopefully will be read about here on the forums ,alot of people are upgrading to the heavier axles in anticipation of possibly? carrying more weight ,they will run into the rough ride you had . sound like the dexter is good though.I bet more than a few axles were installed too heavily rated for the airstream to handle .

Scott
For my needs, a 3000lb pair ( up from a 2600lb pair) was excellent. I used the same rating on my Overlander.

Old 04-15-2006, 10:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello markdoane,

What airstream do you have? the 3500lb would be small for a trdwnd.My 1960 has a 5200lb hadco in it .The coach weighs 3510lbs dry,the axle would be at its capacity already ?Your photos do show yor old one is indeed smaller.

Scott of scottanlily

Old 04-15-2006, 11:03 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Hello markdoane,

What airstream do you have? the 3500lb would be small for a trdwnd.My 1960 has a 5200lb hadco in it .The coach weighs 3510lbs dry,the axle would be at its capacity already ?Your photos do show yor old one is indeed smaller.

Scott of scottanlily
Both of the trailers have tandem axles. 3000lb x2. The 71 had a gross weight of 5800lbs. Not sure on the Overlander, but it's very close in size.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #18
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Hello markdoane,
What airstream do you have?
Scott of scottanlily
It's a 1959 Tradewind. The listed weight is 3170#.

If you can tell that it's smaller than a 1960, then I guess your eyes are pretty good.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #19

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
My axel was done just in time for the 2004 Rocky mtn VAC rally (our first trip with it). So that makes it late summer '04.

As for the Henschen being a bolt in /no hassle replacement, that was not true in my case. Because of the mounting bracket on the Caravel, the axel would still have needed a mounting bracket extension fabricated, along with shock brackets welded on, I believe, which is why I didn't buy it. Look up old Caravel threads about mounting those axels and you will see the same problem mentioned. My RV Shop was not comfortable with doing any welding on the new axel, and they refused. Which is also why I didn't want to do it myself, since i don't weld.

So they recomended Dexter axels which they have installed many of under other brands of trailers, and I went with that. They still had to fabricate a mounting bracket, but they were more confident working with the axel they had ordered, and stood behind their work and garenteed it. They were not comfortable with me bringing in my own axel, asking them to do the same work, and stand behind it, since they didn't know anything about the axel I was bringing in. That and they didn't understand why I would pay $800 for an axel when they could get me one for $350. I couldn't argue with that. The labor was going to be the same either way.

So for my case, buying a Dexter was my only choice if I wanted someone else to install it. I could have paid the same price and installed it myself, but I didn't want to.

Stefrobrts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:58 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello steprobrts,

I can understand the bringing in your own parts.They can warranty the whole job . I do remember that the caravel requires that bracket refab to get it to work.I would not have thought that the axle for your airstream would be anywhere near 800 dollars . Are all the henchen axles that much no matter the size ? I have to agree your deal sounds better .It is the axis axle that ,as I have been reading here on the forums , requires everything to be rehabbed to get it installed.And its 350 dollars average price.

Scott
Old 04-16-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey markdoane,

I can,t see it from here ! I saw your axle replacement on a much older post of yours and its on your profile .I thought you had a tradewind .I know what is in my 60 a hadco 5200lb. And looking at your photos ,the old axle and spindle is smaller than your dexter 5200lb .I also know my spindles are larger like the dexter in your photo .It uses those(hard to find) neoprene axle seals ,they look like more common wheel seals but are a larger size at the seal surface .I wish my eyes were better than they are believe me!

Scott of scottanlily
Old 04-16-2006, 12:23 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
In the beginning!

Scott,

I feel that I am a bit responsible for bringing Axis to the table (or to Airstream owners). As the Director of Business Development for Axis Products, I saw several things that enticed me to want to provide bolt in replacements for Airstream owners at a cost less than the "Exclusive Henschen" that sells for $800.00 complete (brakes and drums) plus shipping. When I was at Axis I had many happy customers that all started with Lou Patterson. I successfully provided axles that were not a hassle to install, for $279.00 plus shipping. Inland did not like this as you can imagine - thus the fireworks began. The count when I retired in August 2005 was about 57 happy customers. After I retired Uwe placed an order - I was not present to oversee his order. They made several errors with Uwe's order and I felt a bit responsible. Thus, I communicated with him in detail about this and the way things had gone. Meanwhile the PM's kept coming for axle help. After careful thought and talking with several folks that had received product after my retirement I feel Axis had dropped the ball on the Airstream program without me. Thus I DO NOT recommend the Axis Products axle any longer. I recommend Dexter to anyone that wants my opinion. There are a limited number of torsion axle providers in the USA. Dexter, Henschen, Axis, Al-Ko and Reliable are the main players. Dexter is the largest producer of trailer axles in the USA. Al-Ko Kober is the biggest in the world. All torsion axles sell for around $279-$400 retail. If you research the forums extensively you will find that Henschen (when you could buy them from the factory) fell in the price range that I just stated.

I had no way of knowing what Axis would do after I retired - I provided a 30-day notice and attempted to make a clean hand-off. This has not proven to be the case. To all of my past customers - a sincere thank you. To all future Axis prospective customers - read the forums and think about my words above.

Best Regards,
Henry
(AKA: Axleman & AxlemanII)
Old 04-16-2006, 01:08 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello axleman ,

thanks for you response about the axis product. I commend you on your integrity first and formost! You were involved in helping provide airstream owners with a choice and a good value .There is nothing wrong with that. You also know that you did a first rate job while you were there and in no way can or should you feel any regret for a product that the company really does not desire to continue to bring to the table .Im sure that readers here see your sincere committment to them regarding axles. and input from yourself on the forums .

Thank you much,

Scott
Old 04-16-2006, 01:50 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Stand-up to the end!....!

Henry -

Thanks for your forthright post about your past with Axis, your present - not with Axis, and your future - your recommendation.

All you can do is be upfront about your past and your present. The future will have to take care of itself!

Thanks for being straight-up!

That is all we can ever ask of our fellow man.

See Ya!

Axel
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 AM   #25
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Hey markdoane,
. . . And looking at your photos ,the old axle and spindle is smaller than your dexter 5200lb . . .
Scott of scottanlily
Ok, I thought you were referring to the size of the Tradewind. They did gain a lot of weight between 1959 and 1960.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I replaced mine in early 2003 with 3500# Henschens, purchased through Inland RV. I bought the bare axles, and re-used my bearings and hubs. I did replace one set of brakes on the front axles with complete Dexter assemblies. Shocks were replaced. I re-packed with Amsoil synthetic grease.

So far no problems, many camping trips in Ohio, and Pennsylvania, the move to Florida, and many trips in Florida heat, with no problems. Installation went extremely well, I did everything all by myself, on a gravel parking lot to boot!

Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote