Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-27-2010, 09:51 AM   #71
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
How often should an Airstream be moved to exercise the axles? My '71 Safari's axles need to be replaced, which I'll do this coming Spring. I don't know the history of my AS other than what the previous owner relayed to me when I bought it from him, so I don't know if it sat in place for years with little or no movement before he bought it.
__________________

__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:04 AM   #72
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pickerdd View Post
How often should an Airstream be moved to exercise the axles? My '71 Safari's axles need to be replaced, which I'll do this coming Spring. I don't know the history of my AS other than what the previous owner relayed to me when I bought it from him, so I don't know if it sat in place for years with little or no movement before he bought it.
There are no stats to provide an exact positive answer to your question.

However, experience can offer one.

Move the trailer at least once a year for 15 or 20 miles, or more. Storing the trailer on jack stands helps, but again, that does not provide the necessary exercise, for the rubber rods.

Also keep in mind, that the life of the rubber rods can be extended, but never forever. Average life of the rubber rods, with frequent exercising, seems to be about 25 years of use. Non use, can ruin the rubber rods in as little as 3 years, again based on experience.

Andy
__________________

__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 AM   #73
3 Rivet Member
 
Harry W's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Scottsdale , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 131
If you install new Henschen axles, be sure to check the alignment. Don't assume that it is correct (as I did).
__________________
Harry W
4CU Charter Member
AIR # 13858, WBCCI # 2420
Harry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #74
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
If you install new Henschen axles, be sure to check the alignment. Don't assume that it is correct (as I did).
The torsion axles are aligned, when manufactured.

However, motor freight carriers can and often do unbelieveable damage.

Certainly, checking the alignment is a good thing to do.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:41 AM   #75
Rivet Master
 
Dave Park's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 972
I was looking at the google satellite images of Jackson Center a while ago, and I noticed the former GKN/Henschen factory to the northeast. I'm not surprised they closed. The roof of their factory was pitch black.

They probably couldn't make a profit because of the cost of running the AC so hard all summer.

The Airstream factory roof is bright white.
__________________
TX-16
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:01 PM   #76
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
 
Inland RV Center, In's Avatar
 
Corona , California
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 16,499
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Park View Post
I was looking at the google satellite images of Jackson Center a while ago, and I noticed the former GKN/Henschen factory to the northeast. I'm not surprised they closed. The roof of their factory was pitch black.

They probably couldn't make a profit because of the cost of running the AC so hard all summer.

The Airstream factory roof is bright white.
The Henschen plant's roof was typical industrial heighth, like 24 feet or more.

I have been in that building on a "hot" Jackson Center day, and it was much cooler than outside. Also their working hours took advantage of the cooler hours of the day.

Andy
__________________
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #77
Rivet Master
 
Dave Park's Avatar
 
2005 22' Safari
Hyde Park Place , Ohio
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 972
Darn. I forgot the smiley so people would know it was a joke :P
__________________
TX-16
Dave Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
There are no stats to provide an exact positive answer to your question.

However, experience can offer one.

Move the trailer at least once a year for 15 or 20 miles, or more. Storing the trailer on jack stands helps, but again, that does not provide the necessary exercise, for the rubber rods.

Also keep in mind, that the life of the rubber rods can be extended, but never forever. Average life of the rubber rods, with frequent exercising, seems to be about 25 years of use. Non use, can ruin the rubber rods in as little as 3 years, again based on experience.

Andy
Thanks Andy. I appreciate the info. It's amazing how many trailers sit still for the majority of their lives. If nothing else our Moe will (and does) get plenty of exercise moving between the storage facility and our house when I'm working on it, which seems to be most of the spring and summer.

I'm looking forward to getting the new axles installed this coming Spring. It should make the trek out to Kansas in September much more comfortable.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays,
__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:16 PM   #79
3 Rivet Member
 
pickerdd's Avatar
 
1971 23' Safari
Marietta , Georgia
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry W View Post
If you install new Henschen axles, be sure to check the alignment. Don't assume that it is correct (as I did).
Thanks Harry - will do. I appreciate the heads up.
__________________

__________________
- David
1971 23' Airstream Safari - "Moe"
2017 Ford F350 4x4 6.7 CCLB - Silver/Black - "Max"
pickerdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Michigan is far away....Winter is closing in Melody Ranch Off Topic Forum 0 08-18-2009 04:28 PM
TORNADO - 5 miles away and closing clancy_boy Off Topic Forum 19 10-22-2007 11:53 PM
GKN Axle Service and Maintenance Manual Inland RV Center, In Commercial Listings 0 08-23-2007 05:37 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.