Old 11-25-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
Kit
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
El Prado , New Mexico
Question Flat tire...

Ok folks...anyone have this happen...?

I had a flat on my new to me '72 Argosy and new to me owning a trailer of any kind...pumped the tire up and took her to the tire repair place...got tire fixed and pumped up....tire wouldn't go back on. Too fat to get under the metal ....they had to deflate the tire put it on and repump it up to 65lbs...

So I travel alone...and the tire gets flat...my only recourse, aside from cutting away the metal which the tire folks suggested!!! , is to deflate the spare, install it and inflate it again...?

Are there any tires that fit without deflation? the tire company said that I have the thinnest tires available these days.....or do I need to get a better air compressor?

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Do you still have the original axels? If so, then they are probably shot. When you jack the trailer up, does the tire raise off the ground almost immediately, or does the wheel drop? You want the wheel to drop some as you jack up the trailer – that means you still have springiness in the axel. I had pretty much the same issue with Little Girl (72 Sovereign), in that since the axels are pretty shot, getting the wheels and tires off to change them was difficult since the axel was not dropping enough for the tire to easily clear the shell. The only reason I could actually get the tires off was because the rivets around the wheel well were already no longer attached to anything, so the shell flexed out enough.

Chris

Old 11-25-2009, 03:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit View Post
do I need to get a better air compressor?
Yes.

Tire pressure drops for a couple of reasons among them colder air, leaking valve stems and leaking tires. The latter two reasons may not mean they are no good because some air will escape especially with some brands. It's a good idea to check tire pressure frequently on trailer tires and do it in the morning when it is cool or cold.

A good air compressor is a necessity to make sure you have the proper air pressure. Make sure it can pump a lot more than 65 lbs. and doesn't run off a cigarette lighter socket (not enough amps for 65 psi). The smaller pumps can take forever to pump up a tire, so one rated at 65 or 75 lbs. are at maximum and may get really slow. I found a good compressor at Costco for about $65 and it works very well. It has a gauge and attaches to the battery terminals.

Gene
Old 11-25-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
Yep, the axle is shot.Been there done that. Dave
Old 11-25-2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I had a heck of a time changing the wheels on our Trade Wind.....then I installed new axles. I gained 3 1/2" to 4" in height. Wheels 'fall' off now.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:03 PM   #6
Kit
1 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
El Prado , New Mexico
Thanks...this is a great forum!

Does anyone know someone in Northern NM who could check and/or replace the axels?

I live in Taos, about 75 miles north of Santa Fe...

And thanks for the tip on the costco compressor...will check it out...
Old 11-25-2009, 10:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Yakima Valley , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
Call Andy at Inland RV (www.inlandrv.com) and he can spec you new axles that are an exact bolt in fit (2 bolts per side per axle) and can be done in just a couple hours.

We had to replace axles on our 69 tradewind, and recently installed a new one on our 63 safari. It was so bad on that one we couldn't get the tires off, even fully deflated.
LOOKING FOR A COUNTER HEIGHT KREFFT REFRIGERATOR!!
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks...this is a great forum!

Does anyone know someone in Northern NM who could check and/or replace the axels?

And thanks for the tip on the costco compressor...will check it out...
You can check the axle out yourself, in about 30 seconds.

Read the article about axles, in the Airstream Central web site, which is a part of this Forums.

Many owners change out the axle/axles themselves, as there is nothing to adjust or alter.

The hardest part is jacking up your single axle Argosy, taking the wheels off, remove the shocks, disconnect the wires, remove 2 each 5/8 bolts from the axle mounting plate, and the axle will fall on the ground.

Reverse that process, and it's done.

You should also change out the shocks, which are a special horizontal type, when you replace the axle.

Andy
Old 11-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
This is the article that Andy is referring to. The Dura-Torque Axle. You can also find a similar article at Airstream, Inc :: Home here http://service.airstream.com/files/l...22708290a0.pdf. Please take your time and learn about the different options in axles. Read here http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437/.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:28 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
There's an Airstream dealer in Albuquerque. So far as I know it has not been maligned on the Forum.

Gene
Old 11-26-2009, 11:43 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
There's an Airstream dealer in Albuquerque. So far as I know it has not been maligned on the Forum.

Gene
I have bad feelings about Holiday RV.

A couple of years ago I brought my 71 to their lot because I needed a statement of value for insurance. Same one as in my Avatar. They basicly kicked me off the lot because it was vintage. I was in the middle of restoration and it was not all shined up, but not a piece of junk either. Told me "I won't put my name on" a statement about my 71. I felt they were embarrassed to have it seen by the public next to their new streams. On another ocassion they told me they will not work on any Airstream over 10 years old. Another time they were more than willing to replace a segment with a repairable dent for a couple grand.

Oh. Almost forgot. Ditto on the axles. Can you post a photo of how she sits on the wheels.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:59 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Check out the FCU (4 Corner Unit of the WBCCI) in your area. They will be alot of help for you. They even have a rally each spring on maintaining and repairing your trailer. They are a really nice group of people. Along with everone else, your axle is shot and will need replaced. I had the same issues with my 21' Globetrotter, a new Dexter axle solved the problem. You will also get all new brakes with a new axle.

Kip

http://www.airforums.com/forums/dto_...binfo&cid=1000
Old 11-26-2009, 12:47 PM   #13

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Yes it looks like she's riding a bit low based on the hubcap to wheel well spacing. Nice spare tire mounting/cover!

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AFTER01.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	91512  

"You wouldn't worry so much about what others think of you if you realized how seldom they do."

Eleanor Roosevelt

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:

It's not rocket science. It's easy to check the axles by looking at the position of the torsion arm. It should have a downward angle. Horizontal may be OK or marginal. Upward is bad. Next, jack the axle off the ground. Watch where you put the jack. As the trailer body is jacked up a few inches the wheel should remain on the ground for a while. If yours don't that is the reason for your tire changing difficulty and the axle is shot. Also check you are using the right tire. The original tires should have been 7:00 15 which is a narrowish bias tire. A lot of owners have switched to radial 225 75R 15 which is a bit wider an a little harder to get on the lugs. But in any event even with new axles it's a bit tight.

Photos would help.

I live about 2 1/2 hours south of you.