Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM   #85

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
Does not seem to be a low rider in this picture with the old axles.

Any word from Dexter on the axle's that you received?

Don
We don't seem to be a low rider, but it has dropped a small amount in the last year. The interior of the trailer seems to take a pounding so we decided to go for new axles.

As far as the axles status, the discussions are supposed to ongoing between the dealer and Dexter to see how the de-rating got dropped from the order. Hopefully I'll get good news Monday- keep your fingers crossed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0269sm.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	54848  

HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 07:55 PM   #86
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
I will keep my fingers crossed that Dexter will step up and make this right. Great looking Airstream.

Don

Old 02-27-2008, 09:03 AM   #87

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Status

No real news as of now but due to the # of PM's I thought I'll go ahead and post a status.
In summary, my new axles (I should bold the word "my") were delivered with two differences from what I need. One difference being dimensional with a 61 3/4" bracket width verses the required 61 3/8". The second being the weight rating being 5200lb/axle verses 3600 lb/axle that I would like.

I believe I could fit the axles with the dimensional issue but the weight rating is a show stopper for my tandem trailer.

From my investigation/conversations with Dexter and the dealer, the best I can tell the dimensional error originates between my notes and the notes of the dealer, the weight error is between the dealer and Dexter.

Dexter has made it clear they built exactly as ordered and have no responsibility and will not (or can't) rework the existing axles. The outcome is I will need two new axle tubes w/o hubs or brakes. The question is who will absorb the cost. Here is where I wait for a response from my dealer.

The best thing of this mess is the fact that all of the information gleaned from Airforums and the members regarding specifying a Dexter axle has been 100% accurate . No updates have been made to my original notes of what I thought I needed based on this forum and the members.

Thanks ya'll!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:59 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Wow - Dexter and your dealer are putting you in a bad spot. They need to pony up to the mistake one the weight rating.
Maybe you need to have a statement from Airstream stating the facts about having the correct weight rating on the axles and the detrimental effects it would bring to the trailer. Either way you ordered the correct axle weight rating so the dealer and Dexter may need to split the cost.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:44 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1973 31' Sovereign
Danielsville , Georgia
Quote:
Wow - Dexter and your dealer are putting you in a bad spot. They need to pony up to the mistake one the weight rating.
To my knowledge, the Dexter factory does not manufacture axles without a signed axle order form. This is to be filled out correctly by the dealer (or end user), whichever applies. As long as the blanks are filled out, and it falls within specs, it will be produced. Without proof, I'm real reluctant to blame the factory over this one.

Quote:
Maybe you need to have a statement from Airstream stating the facts about having the correct weight rating on the axles and the detrimental effects it would bring to the trailer.
What would they do with that? Dexter does not care what the axles are being used on, as it really doesn't (and shouldn't) matter to them. If the axle is spec'd and ordered properly, the application is irrelevant. (They are a huge axle manufacturer.)

Quote:
Either way you ordered the correct axle weight rating so the dealer and Dexter may need to split the cost.
You've got to prove this one with the signed order form, which the dealer should have a copy of, as should the factory. Where is it and what does it say???

I think this is where the truth lies.

Ordering Dexters for an Airstream does require a bit of homework, careful planning, attention to detail in placing the order, and some modifications to install. As in all risk/reward situations, the reward must outweigh the risk. I'm not sure it always does when it comes to axles.

My experience with Dexter last March was wonderful, but I was extremely cautious with my measurements and ordering procedures. (Another forum member helped me get a better price, but frankly I was more concerned with making sure the axles were correct than with saving $35 on the axles.) The axles were perfect, and everything was just as ordered.

After the whole experience, I posted my pictures and casually mentioned my experience to a few forum members, but purposely kept mum on axle threads for fear of the controversy over the Dexter/Henschen debate. (I don't care to ruffle feathers.)

But the desire to keep a low profile was overcome in time by the desire to help others in this endeavor. I have shared what I have learned with others on a few threads and through many PMs.

Now I'm feeling tempted to go back to mum again.
PizzaChop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1970 31' Sovereign
Collierville , Tennessee
My Dexters turned out perfectly even had the shock bracket. Thanks to you Pizza! I am very happy with them. Thank you for the help otherwise I wouldn't have known where to start. I went to the dealer and they called dexter and ordered them while I was there. I had to verify almost all the info a couple of times and the person at Dexter didn't know about the shock bracket but it was ordered with it and came installed. I now try to help anybody else with info on what they need BUT it is a CUSTOM order. I didn't pay anything until they came in and then I double checked the ticket to make sure it was correct and then paid them. I hope you can find some proof on what you ordered then you should have a case. Hope all goes well!
Old 02-28-2008, 05:44 PM   #91
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Maybe I am old-fashioned, or just old. But I still believe in the principal that the customer is always right. Being in business for many years I have had to accommodate customer's when at times I felt that they were actually wrong. That's business. In this case 2 of the 3 parties are Dexter. Dexter the company and Dexter the local distributor. As I understand there are 2 issues with the axles. One difference being dimensional with a 61 3/4" bracket width verses the required 61 3/8". The second being the weight rating being 5200lb/axle verses 3600 LB/axle. Also as I understand the measurement issue could have been the fault of the customer or the Dexter local distributor. But I also understand that the weight issue more than likely is due to the Dexter local distributor.

The measurement issue should not be a factor now. Only the weight rating issue counts and ithat s what should be addressed. Since Dexter can't change the weight rating without rebuilding the axle they can correct the measurement at that time.

The approach with Dexter is not to blame them but to appeal to their customer good will policy to make things right for the customer. They are the only ones who can say both yes and no to this issue. This won't be the 1st time that they had to say yes and their cost to make a new axle is low. Also since the hubs and brakes on the old axle can be used on the new axle they are only looking at the axle itself.

I would think that you have to talk with Dexter direct. The local distributor might not be able to make the case. You may already be doing this and are waiting to post the resolution to the problem once everything is finalized.

Good luck

Don Hardman
Old 02-29-2008, 07:37 AM   #92
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Maybe somebody already mentioned this, but has Dexter checked to see if they shipped you somebody else's axles? And some other customer possibly got yours? I can kind of underestand the width measurment issue; people make mistakes in paperwork. But, 5200 lbs is a long way from 3600 lbs.

Just a thought.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 10:51 AM   #93
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
...has Dexter checked to see if they shipped you somebody else's axles? And some other customer possibly got yours? I can kind of underestand the width measurment issue; people make mistakes in paperwork. But, 5200 lbs is a long way from 3600 lbs.
Jim,

If I recall correctly, Vern ordered a #11 axle which is listed with load ranges between 4000-6000lbs. This was to be "de-rated" to 3600lbs ...which seems to have been lost in translation somewhere along the way.

I hope we hear of a satisfactory resulution to this soon.

Good Luck Vern!
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #94
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by byamcaravanner
Jim,

If I recall correctly, Vern ordered a #11 axle which is listed with load ranges between 4000-6000lbs. This was to be "de-rated" to 3600lbs
How do they "de-rate" an axle?

Don
Old 02-29-2008, 11:30 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh
How do they "de-rate" an axle?

Don
Good question... softer rubber rods, I assume. Maybe someone who actually knows will chime in.
http://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:12 PM   #96
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I think they just use shorter rods.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #97

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
status

Well, progress has hit a stalemate and the course I'm taking would not be approprate to document in this format, so...

I'm gonna let this thread lie dormant for a while until I can get axles to go under my 'Stream. I'll then resume the discussion with the stuff that I think is cool.
"What's required to get one of these to bolt under our beloved 'stream?"
"how does the ride change?"
"do shocks make a difference?"

If anyone has been watching and is concerned about getting axles that they can't use, take this bit of advise. Do not take delivery without getting a copy of the order confirmation your dealer is required to sign and re-send to Dexter.

If this document is correct, I suspect you will be very pleased with your new axles.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:03 PM   #98
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
To get better braking.

The purpose of the de-rated heavy axle is to get a larger brake drum.

One orders a heavier axle series to get the larger brake drum, (12" I believe) then gets the axle de-rated to a lower weight capacity so the trailer isn't beat up with the heavy springing. Ordering the lighter axle one would get a 10" brake drum.

So the axle may be OK if it is of the larger series with a lower weight rating. And it may be 3/8" off in length. So many things to consider.

>>>>>>>>>>>>Action