Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-14-2002, 08:39 PM   #1
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Lightbulb Axle Replacement (Single Axle 60s Trailer)

When I purchased a 1961 Bambi the axle was in very poor shape. The brakes were missing and one bearing was seized to the spindle. The only answer was a new axle.

So time for a new axel and brake assembely from Henschen ($450 + shipping + service). The new axel has a 5 lugnut configuration, so I am going to have to buy new wheels also.

From what I was told, this new axel will really improve the trailer's towability. It will also restore the trailer to it's original height since the old rubber parts sagged with age. The new plastic bushings will not deteriorate as quickly.

My Bambi is currently getting repaired at American Way RV. I will ask if Charlie can email some pictures of the process so that I can post them on here.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 12:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Duratorque axle replacement

My duratorque axles are showing their age, according to the article at Inland RV it is time to replace them. I know I can source the axles at Henshen. Has anyone changed their own or is it best left to the pros?
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2002, 08:29 PM   #3

61 Bambi rims and hub

We just bought a 61 Bambi and have it at a friends about 35 miles away. I want to bring it home but the rims are so rusty we can't trust them. We have spent hours at junkyards with templates to get the right rim. We finally found Nissan rims with a slighly smaller center hole. We are having a machine shop shave the outside of the hub a small amount, so these rims will fit. We will evantually replace the duratorque axle with a new one.
Old 03-02-2002, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Nissan wheels will not handle the weight of your trailer. Used wheels that do not have a known history is not a good choice. Should they fail, and the Nissan wheels will, you will have a liability problem that you will never live down. BE SAFE!! Especially if you take your family with you. Put new wheels on that trailer. We have many replacement sizes. Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 07:42 PM   #5
hex

Question More

Is Inland-Andy right on this? He sure got my attention!

Also regarding Inland-Andy's axle info page http://inlandrv.com/articles/dura-torque-axle-92001.htm
I am wondering what others think.
Are the axles serial numbered? How does one know the manufacture date on the axle?

The 6Ply vs 8Ply and Steel -Wheel circumference crack info is Bizarre to me. But what isn't??

Are there alternatives to the Henschen brand?

thanks,
hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 02:49 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Hex,

It's not likely that the Nissan wheels will do the job over the long haul. Especially on a single axle trailer cause the loads seem to be more per wheel. The alternative would be a wrecking yard for RV's and pick up some RV wheels there. Check the links and you will find one that I left for AZ RV. Or look in the yellow pages or contact your local RV dealer for references.

The rating on the tires that you are contemplating should match the load you are pulling. Weigh the trailer (with water and gear) then get tires that can handle the load plus a margin. ie: If the unit weighs 8000 #'s and the trailer has 4 tires, then you want tires that can handle 2000 3's plus a margin say another 200 #'s. Or 2200 each tire.

Alternative axle! Anything you want to do. Henschen will fit, and will do the job. Other axles? Don't know. However if you find something let us know your experience.

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-17-2005, 04:50 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Has anyone tried the RV salvage yards, I was lookin for a antena and cherokee RV salvage was my first choice,Do a Google search on RV salvage yards, there are lots of them,Scott
scf31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I have only been to Arizona RV Salvage.

For me they are:

Local.
Friendly.
Very helpful in suggestions when I need that.
And will let me know if they don't have something which is usefull too..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-18-2005, 12:01 AM   #9
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66TradeWind
 Has anyone changed their own or is it best left to the pros?
If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to change out your own axles. Henschen axles should take you about 3 hrs each if you have the right simple equipment. Dexter axles will take longer as they need some minor mods to add a shock bracket and some hole drilling in your frame. Mine ran about 6 hrs but I spent a lot of time correcting the original factory alignment which was off by 1/2 ". In any case your measurements must be really accurate to get a nice install.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 05:00 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creampuff
If you are mechanically inclined you should be able to change out your own axles. Henschen axles should take you about 3 hrs each if you have the right simple equipment. Dexter axles will take longer as they need some minor mods to add a shock bracket and some hole drilling in your frame. Mine ran about 6 hrs but I spent a lot of time correcting the original factory alignment which was off by 1/2 ". In any case your measurements must be really accurate to get a nice install.
I installed mine with no problems. Of course, I have an unfair advantage, as I was able to put the trailer on a drive-on lift, and replace the axle while standing up under the trailer. It took about the same amount of time, but it was a lot easier standing then laying under it on the ground, getting chewed on by the local insects.
Terry
Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana

Check out this thread:
The Minuet is at the Axle Doctor!
axleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by axleman

Check out this thread:
The Minuet is at the Axle Doctor!
Right down the road from you is Dexter. http://www.dexteraxle.com/
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 09:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over59
Right down the road from you is Dexter. http://www.dexteraxle.com/
Get Dexter to custom make an axle.
I originally went to the Dexter dealer down the road from me and guess what? If it doesn't have a Dexter number they wouldn't order it for me.
Figure it out.
Another Dexter dealer said they would do it but they gave me an estimate of $450 to do it. They were also 150 miles from me.
Think about it.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:22 PM   #14
Rivet Master

H.G. Wells

I can't wait for Mandolin Dave to join
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by VONZIPPER View Post
We just bought a 61 Bambi and have it at a friends about 35 miles away. I want to bring it home but the rims are so rusty we can't trust them. We have spent hours at junkyards with templates to get the right rim. We finally found Nissan rims with a slighly smaller center hole. We are having a machine shop shave the outside of the hub a small amount, so these rims will fit. We will evantually replace the duratorque axle with a new one.
If you are buying new wheels many trailer supply stores have proper wheels or gogle trailer wheels many sites will come up, also you need to no offset of rims that your trailer used, and car wheels are no no for trailer use.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
Ha Ha! Check out the date on this old thread! It was the first one on the Forums!
Old 03-19-2017, 06:04 PM   #17

1971 27' Overlander
Tucson , Arizona
Duratorque Replacment

We are in need of rehashing this thread, that is if this is the right thread to do so. Just bought a 71' Overlander and we are wanting to take it on a trip in May. We were in the process of overhauling the brakes and have discovered that the duratorque axles have lost their torsion strength. They are currently at about -2~3 degree position. Is it worth it to finish the break job so that we can take it on out trip or replace axles now? Also, not sure if there is a shop in town that would have what we need thus ordering them from out of town might be required. My google foo has come up with ordering from here http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Axles...x-axles-106274.

Is our thinking on the right track?
StandSlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:40 PM   #18

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandSlow View Post
We are in need of rehashing this thread, that is if this is the right thread to do so. Just bought a 71' Overlander and we are wanting to take it on a trip in May. We were in the process of overhauling the brakes and have discovered that the duratorque axles have lost their torsion strength. They are currently at about -2~3 degree position. Is it worth it to finish the break job so that we can take it on out trip or replace axles now? Also, not sure if there is a shop in town that would have what we need thus ordering them from out of town might be required. My google foo has come up with ordering from here http://airstreamsupply.com/New-Axles...x-axles-106274.

Is our thinking on the right track?
Everyone's situation is a little different. If you've already bought the parts for the brake & bearing job and have a trip you really want to make soon, that may be the option for you. I traveled for nearly 2 years on stiff old axles and didn't know what I was missing. I popped a few rivets on the inner skins and in retrospect I had a weird rough ride in the truck, too.

I bought axles made by Rockwell American here in Texas, which are available from various vendors. There are a couple of different manufacturers of suitable torsion axles as well, of course. I chose axles already equipped with new bearings and brakes and spindles drilled out with grease zerks to make it simple to grease the bearings regularly.

I wrote it up in this blog post a long time ago.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:54 PM   #19
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
It would be better to start a new thread.

The thread you used isn't topic specific and yes that is because it came from a time when the forum was very new.

A new thead for your topic will get replies that are specific to the want you have. Using this thread will encourage others to go off topic because this thread has several posts on different topics.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action