Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2004, 01:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
double axle repair ramp?

I'm looking for ramps to pull the trailer up onto, but ours is a double axle. Do double axle repair ramps exist? If so where? If not why not? I've been looking everywhere. Kragen, West Marine, nothing.

like these, except longer for two wheels.

help!

pf
Attached Images

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Those would be easy for any welder.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 03:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

There is no such thing as a double axle ramp.
What you need to do is to place a solid platform of wood the same height as the ramps in your illistration. then place your ramps against the wood and pull the trailer all the way on.
You can find 6 X 6 lX 12ft umber at Lowes or most any home center. You will need to cut it in hafe with a hand saw or a chain saw if you have one.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 07:21 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Thanks

I as much after looking for a while. We figured building extensions might end up being more expensive than buying double axle ramps, but you've answered the question. We were pricing that exact dimension of lumber and wanted to double check before we did any buying.

Off to Home Depot.

pf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG
What you need to do is to place a solid platform of wood the same height as the ramps in your illistration. then place your ramps against the wood and pull the trailer all the way on.
You can find 6 X 6 lX 12ft umber at Lowes or most any home center. You will need to cut it in hafe with a hand saw or a chain saw if you have one.

ingrid
Old 09-07-2004, 07:58 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
I carry 9 (triple axel) pieces of 2x8. The are cut long enough to fit between the wheels. The ends are cut on a 45 degree angle so that the trailer can pull onto them. The second piece is shorter than the one on the ground, simply because of the shape of the tire, it fits on top of the first piece. Then I have a third piece that is shorter still that fits on top of the second. I can use these blocks to raise the wheels so that I can change tires or I can use them to level the trailer on uneven lots. For a dual axel trailer you would only need 6 pieces of wood. The beauty is that you can cut 2x8's with a skill saw set at 45 degrees. Hope this helps, its cheap and it works.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 12:04 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
I carry 9 (triple axel) pieces of 2x8. The are cut long enough to fit between the wheels. The ends are cut on a 45 degree angle so that the trailer can pull onto them. The second piece is shorter than the one on the ground, simply because of the shape of the tire, it fits on top of the first piece. Then I have a third piece that is shorter still that fits on top of the second. I can use these blocks to raise the wheels so that I can change tires or I can use them to level the trailer on uneven lots. For a dual axel trailer you would only need 6 pieces of wood. The beauty is that you can cut 2x8's with a skill saw set at 45 degrees. Hope this helps, its cheap and it works.
That sounds great. Would you happen to have pictures you can attach so I can see just what you mean?

ingrid
Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Ingrid,

Maybe the photo I am posting will help you to get the idea of what you need. I just made it fast like so it is kind of crude, but I think you should get the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ramps.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	8719  

John G
Old 09-14-2004, 06:07 AM   #8
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Quote:
http://bondorseals.com/more_info/alu...wheel_ramp.htm

Look here, I am certian there are alternatives.
I have seen a modular setup made of hard plastic similar to the setup in the diagram below.

The magic of Google search.

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 04:20 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Here is a description of my ramps. They are made from 2"x8" lumber. My previous ones were made from 2"x6" but I didn't like the way they supported my tires. I made 3 sets of them because I have a 3 axel trailer. I use them to level the trailer as well as to jack the trailer to change a tire. When changing a tire I put all 3 blocks forward of the tire and pull up on the ramp. The tire to be pulled has no blocks under it. I have found that I need all 3 blocks to get the tire high enough to spin freely. The blocks are 18", 12" and 9" respectively. They have a 45 degree angle cut on both ends to assist the trailer in climbing the ramp. I hope this makes sense. They work for me.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	EndViewBlocks1561.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	8733   Click image for larger version

Name:	PlanViewBlocks1560.JPG
Views:	200
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	8734  

Name:	SideViewBlocks1559.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	8735  
Old 09-14-2004, 06:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
yep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel
Here is a description of my ramps. They are made from 2"x8" lumber. My previous ones were made from 2"x6" but I didn't like the way they supported my tires. I made 3 sets of them because I have a 3 axel trailer. I use them to level the trailer as well as to jack the trailer to change a tire. When changing a tire I put all 3 blocks forward of the tire and pull up on the ramp. The tire to be pulled has no blocks under it. I have found that I need all 3 blocks to get the tire high enough to spin freely. The blocks are 18", 12" and 9" respectively. They have a 45 degree angle cut on both ends to assist the trailer in climbing the ramp. I hope this makes sense. They work for me.
Yep, makes sense all of them. The ones we can purchase are too much money but now I know they DO exist!

I just wanted to be sure I was interpreting you right. I think we may have some 2 X 8's hiding in my husband's lumber stack. Thank you!

ingrid
Old 09-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
If you don't have one lying around pick up a 2 x 8 x 8'. It will take 6' to make 6 blocks as described. Use the remaining lumber to make a pad for the jacks all 5 of them. Please don't forget the wheel chocks. We have a lock that goes between the tires and I don't leave home without it.

Best of luck,
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
Yep, makes sense all of them. The ones we can purchase are too much money but now I know they DO exist!

I just wanted to be sure I was interpreting you right. I think we may have some 2 X 8's hiding in my husband's lumber stack. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by smily
http://bondorseals.com/more_info/alu...wheel_ramp.htm

Look here, I am certian there are alternatives.
I have seen a modular setup made of hard plastic similar to the setup in the diagram below.

The magic of Google search.

Smily
Ok, there is such a thing then, but starting price $347.30 extending to $1113.20 besides shipping cost. No thanks!
Comparatively, the price of the ramps like PF posted above is around $40.00 and the price for a 12 ft 6x6 at lowes is $38.00
That is less than $100 dollars and all you have to do is cut the 12 footer in half and then you have what you need.
I will stay perfectly happy with making them out of wood.

You could probably have a set made http://bondorseals.com/more_info/al..._wheel_ramp.htm like those at a welding shop and come out for around $200 dollars too.

To Note: the ramps pictured in PF's post above are made of the hard modular plastic, but I've never seen them made any longer.

John G
Old 09-15-2004, 06:01 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
YepII

Quote:
Ok, there is such a thing then, but starting price $347.30 extending to $1113.20 besides shipping cost. No thanks!
Comparatively, the price of the ramps like PF posted above is around $40.00 and the price for a 12 ft 6x6 at lowes is $38.00
That is less than $100 dollars and all you have to do is cut the 12 footer in half and then you have what you need.
I will stay perfectly happy with making them out of wood.

You could probably have a set made http://bondorseals.com/more_info/al..._wheel_ramp.htm like those at a welding shop and come out for around $200 dollars too.

To Note: the ramps pictured in PF's post above are made of the hard modular plastic, but I've never seen them made any longer.
...plus I only posted those pix in my first post because I wanted to make sure someone knew what the heck I was even talking about, I am out of the loop on trailer terminology.

We're definitely doing the wood ones. I'll take pictures and post when we're done, and keep all that money in my pocket! Thanks everyone. I love these forums. JohnG, thanks for the drawing. The sooner I get these done, the sooner I can remove the belly pan.

ingrid
Old 09-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Good Luck Ingrid, I hope it all works well for you. Look forward to your pix....

John G
Old 09-16-2004, 04:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
It could be just wishful thinking, but there's a brand new stack of 2 x 8's in our driveway. I think the ramp is going to be built soon!

I was just preparing a nag in my mind for him when I saw it. Good thing I married a mind-reader.

ingrid
Old 09-16-2004, 08:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
I just picked Mr. Chatty's brain (it took an ice pick and a sledgehammer to get him to open up) and here's what he has planned:

Stack 'em up, screw 'em together, cut an angle, flip one over.

ingrid
Old 09-17-2004, 08:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkflamingoes
I just picked Mr. Chatty's brain (it took an ice pick and a sledgehammer to get him to open up) and here's what he has planned:

Stack 'em up, screw 'em together, cut an angle, flip one over.
Sounds like he's on the right track. Tell hime that is will be easier to cut the angle before he screws them together. Unless you have a chainsaw and are good at using it.

John G
Old 09-17-2004, 10:43 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
How to keep the pyramid together?

John, when pulling (or pushing) your trailer up the stack.... how do you keep the stack from coming apart as the wheel goes up the stack. It looks like they'd slide apart. Is there some kind of non-skid between them?
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:02 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
John, when pulling (or pushing) your trailer up the stack.... how do you keep the stack from coming apart as the wheel goes up the stack. It looks like they'd slide apart. Is there some kind of non-skid between them?
Marc
I think you are making reference to Rick's (Tarheel) post. I was wondering the same thing. It looks like it would just come apart and also looks like you could overshoot it too easy. I think I would be too nervous to try those type.

My ramp is a piece of reinforced steel ramp that I just lay down onto the top of the 6 ft 6x6 that has a stop block screwed on the end. I have a short one for a single wheel too in case I get a flat tire on the road. Mine work great.

John G
Old 09-20-2004, 12:47 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy
Marc
Yeah me three, or maybe he just had some examples for the picture for me.

Re: the cutting of our ramps: I'll definitely mention it to him. But he was a lumberjack for years before he barely escaped that world with his life. He's got all the tools for cutting at angles, and it seems this angle would have to be very gradual, hence longer to cut, hence harder to cut.

He's a man of few words, but I'll try to see what he says...

ingrid