Old 11-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
It would be an issue to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
...Shock Mounts on BACKWARDS - no real issue, ...[snip]...33033 Monroes work great for shocks.
If you mean the axle arrived that way, you are a more benevolent soul than me. Welding must be done carefully on this type of axle or the the rubber innards will get smoked. I would have returned the axle.

Are the 33033 Monroes rated for horizontal service?

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:01 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW
If you mean the axle arrived that way, you are a more benevolent soul than me. Welding must be done carefully on this type of axle or the the rubber innards will get smoked. I would have returned the axle.

Tom
No - the 33033 are only replacements for the vertical mounted older style axle.

I had a rally to go to, the older axle was shot - I mean it was wasted. The tabs for the shocks are welded way out on the arm - far away from the rubber. I believe I can grind them off and then (to minimize the heat) weld them back on safely. Well aware of this issue.

I do not believe "benevolent soul" is a good description of me at all. I called INLANDRV and expressed my dislike of being told that the new axle was a "bolt on" replacement and this occured - they could of had the tabs left off and I would have been better off. For the money it should have been an "exact replacement" but it did "bolt on" with some modifications to it and the trailer and some drilling so I guess I made it "BOLT ON". The torsion arm stop blocks had to be removed from my frame as the "incorrect" placement of the shock mounts interfered with the movement of the axle. NOW I have to get the new shock mounts cut off - re-welded - and have the stop blocks re-welded. Cost is important, this will be some bucks. I LIKE THE AXLE - I WANT TRUE REPRESENTATION OF THE FACTS.

clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW

Tom
1966, 67 and 68 Caravels had a variety of different ways the shock brackets were mounted. The chassis were not always the same for those years.

No one seems to know the reasons why.

Cutting the shock brackets off and rewelding them, does not void a Henschen warranty, nor can you harm the rubber rods.

To destroy the rubber rods, is near impossible as opposed to overheating the spindle, destroying it before you could overheat the rubber rods.

Obviously, that is not likely to happen.

None the less, the warranty would not be in any form of jeopardy.

Andy
Old 11-07-2006, 05:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Andy,

I understand production year changes.

What I do not understand is why this information was not shared with clancy boy. If asked, I get the impression that he would have looked at his setup & provided a description, sketch, or other information to ensure that a drop-in axle was delivered to his job site.

He even indicated his willingness to weld the mounts himself if he had understood that might be necessary.

I agree with his sentiment about representation of facts. Karma-wise, I approve of his last post.

Since I have returned axles in the past, I make this post.

Tom
Old 11-07-2006, 09:36 PM   #19
JBK
3 Rivet Member

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Grand Rapids , Up in the Nort' Woods of Minn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by inlandrvcenter,inc
5. All we need is the trailer serial number.

6. Dexter needs all the specs. If it's wrong, it's your problem.

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw
Andy,

I understand production year changes.

What I do not understand is why this information was not shared with clancy boy. If asked, I get the impression that he would have looked at his setup & provided a description, sketch, or other information to ensure that a drop-in axle was delivered to his job site.

He even indicated his willingness to weld the mounts himself if he had understood that might be necessary.

I agree with his sentiment about representation of facts. Karma-wise, I approve of his last post.

Since I have returned axles in the past, I make this post.

Tom
Andy:
Doesn'tsound like your comment was strictly correct. Not picking on you, but if he gave his serial number, why didn't things match up?

JB
Old 11-08-2006, 10:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Andy:
Doesn'tsound like your comment was strictly correct. Not picking on you, but if he gave his serial number, why didn't things match up?
Serial numbers provide detail specifications, but not for the 66-67 and 68 Caravels.

The only thing serial numbers confirm for those years, and only for the Caravels, is the weight rating and out bracket dimensions, nothing more.

I agree, it is a difficult situation at best.

Andy
Old 11-08-2006, 07:22 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia
Axle

When I started out I went on the cheap trying to save a few bucks here and there because I had more time than money.
Now that I'm on this end of the road of life, I've learned the hard way that in cases of major repair parts, go with the factory original. 95% percent of the time the holes line up and the fit is just sweet.
Bite the bullet and call Inland.
Your blood pressure will thank you.
Beginner
Old 11-08-2006, 08:34 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
No Regrets

I have to say that I have no regrets. Andy's insight into the Airstream world is far greater than mine. I understand everything that went on with my axle and the configuration it came in, and with time will have it set straight. I did get it on and that was the most important thing. I do agree with beginner - buy quality up front - that's what this axle/brakes are - QUALITY. I have no experience with any manufacturers of trailer torsion axles and had to rely on Andy for that.

All this said, for those of you doing an axle change or planning one - get all the info up front. Send pictures, serial number, drawings etc..... and you will have the best available. Hey - it's a 40+ year old trailer - now it rides on a cushion of new rubber.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Guess I am lucky to live where I do. Lots of skilled craftsmen and honest shops in our area. One guy put my axle on in two hours at the quoted price. They had no problem installing a part I supplied. Maybe that's why the company I had it done at grew into a multimillion dollar operation with branches throughout the midwest and enjoys a stellar reputation for honesty and quality.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #24
Frank S

1973 27' Overlander
peoria , Illinois
Hi 63air--I also am well satisfied with the work Mutual Wheel, Milan IL did mounting Dexter axles on my A/S. Thanks for sharing your experience with me.--Frank S
Old 11-12-2006, 09:46 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Thumbs up

Frank S. Glad to hear you had a good experience with Mutual Wheel. I am a firefighter and we often send trucks out there. A lot of lives depend on our vehicles and they always do the needed work on time and correctly.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:46 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Woodside , New York
Hey Andy do you even OWN an Airstream?
Old 11-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno
Hey Andy do you even OWN an Airstream?
In order to belong to the WBCCI, you must own an Airstream.

My number is 11701.

Doesn't mean you have to use it.

Andy
Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Don't want to get personal but...

Andy,

I never wondered if you had an Airstream because I figured you did. But I have wondered what year & length Airstream you had.

Tom

TomW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
caravel