Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
Ding dang 'ol axle

this don't look some good to me. looks like it's time to replace my axle. it looks like it'll be a pretty straight forward fix...some busted knuckles, a few dozen of just the right words and viola she's fixed! the one question i did come up with is where do i support her while she's up in the air? on the axle brackets that are part of the frame and the tongue jack. is that enough? any thoughts, suggestions, warnings, words of wisdom, would all be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream axle 001.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	335.6 KB
ID:	122515  

Old 02-18-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Cojer,
Nice little trailer! You can get by with jacking the trailer up and placing jack stands under the main frame rails to the rear of where the axle mounts to the support plate and of course the tongue jack. I have ordered new Axis axles from Colin Hyde. Just waiting on their arrival. I have my very own axle thread. It has all the information I was able to compile. Good luck.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
thanks top. i just made one call to inland today was quoted 750. i'll take a look at these others you've got listed....and we're off to the rodeo
Old 02-18-2011, 08:10 PM   #4
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
That reminds me of a song...
"Weeeelllllll it's forty below, got a heater in my truck so I don't give a and I'm off to the rodeo!"
Good luck and if you'd like to save yourself some money for the same product, call Colin Hyde.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
ah not many know that song! so why is colins' so much cheaper?
Old 02-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojer View Post
Cojer,
Based on the Forums rules, I don't think I'm allowed to tell you, not here anyway.
What I can tell you is that Caravels are notorious for fatigue cracks in their spindles. I had one client who went over a slightly rough railroad crossing & he broke both spindles & the whole trailer hit the ground. He sent me photos of the old axle spindles after I supplied him with a replacement & they had obviously been cracking for some time as there was rust in the cracks. I have seen this quite a few times with Caravel axles with the 5 lug pattern. Check out www.vintageairstream.com as it shows the nightmare of the website owners axle mishap.
Thanks,
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Because it is not a duplicate of the Henschen design, but a cheaper version, according to Axis.

Andy
Old 02-19-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
HOLD ON NOW!!! Andy you both sell the same product. There is no longer Henchen or the monopoly you had for so many years. I pray that Axis does the right thing and does not allow either you or Colin to have a monopoly on their product too. Everyone needs to eat, but the EXTREME MARK UP has to end. We strive to have "free trade" in America, time for that to be a reality.
I spoke with Axis yesterday. Turns out I cannot buy axles for Airstreams until they sort out "this situation we have internally" due to two vendors both wanting exclusive right.
I had a client ask me why the axle wars are so fierce. I know why, the mark up is why. It is a total cash cow for both you guys. Stop fighting over this and pretend you know how to play fair.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 06:00 AM   #9
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Because it is not a duplicate of the Henschen design, but a cheaper version, according to Axis.

Andy
That is just laughable Andy. I SERIOUSLY doubt that Axis would describe any product they make as "cheaper". Isn't the main tube the same? Isn't the rubber inside the same? The brakes are the same. The spindles are the same. Do the axles you sell for $750 have a data plate that reads "Axis"? That is not the reason you stated for your price being higher here. (remember the cost of California?) Elsewhere you mention that Axis bought only some of Henschen's tooling and equipment but not the spindles. I think you are just trying to milk the cow before she goes dry.

I do understand suppliers have to make some money to stay in business. I'm sure Colin isn't giving axles away. You DEFINITELY are not giving them away! Most sane people can understand some difference in price at a modest level. But $430 vs. $750 is too much to pass off as anything other than excessive markup.

Here's some flowers for y'all!

Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
thanks top. i just made one call to inland today was quoted 750. i'll take a look at these others you've got listed....and we're off to the rodeo
I replace my tandems with axles from Inland, The price isn't bad 'cuz you get new backing plates, brakes, drums, bearings all on the axle. Everythng bolts up. You may have to drill a couple of holes and weld the shock mounts on. If you don't weld take the axle to a welder and in a short time there mounted. A diagram just how where and there mounted will be included.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
wow! i knew the inherent problems with the caravel axle when i bought her. i knew there was a very good possibility i would have to replace it. i was kind of under the impression that there was only one company who made axles for the airstream. i guess i was wrong there. and i didn't know that i would be uncovering something this ugly. airstream is an american icon for sure. i hope it doesn't also become a symbol of the elimination of the middle class as well! if what i'm reading here is true....well it's just sad really. guess i'm just going to have to make some phone calls and talk to folks to see what's going to work best for me.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Ok folks, I'm sorry some posts were pulled for discussion. We put everything back, and I hope we can continue to discuss axles in a civil manner. There are several good options for axles right now, and people on the forums who have taken advantage of different brands, there's a lot of good experience and knowledge to share. So let's keep it polite, play nice, and carry on.

For the record, I've been happy with the 3500lb Dexter under my Caravel since 2004.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:09 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts View Post
Ok folks, I'm sorry some posts were pulled for discussion. We put everything back, and I hope we can continue to discuss axles in a civil manner. There are several good options for axles right now, and people on the forums who have taken advantage of different brands, there's a lot of good experience and knowledge to share. So let's keep it polite, play nice, and carry on.

For the record, I've been happy with the 3500lb Dexter under my Caravel since 2004.
Hi Stephanie,
Also "for the record", Axis was a subcontractor for Dexter some years ago, as they didn't sufficient capacity to build all of their axles. So there is potential that your axle was built by Axis, even though it has a Dexter tag & casting marks on it
Colin
Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
and for the record i would like to say, thank you colin for taking the time on the phone with me to answer alot of my questions about axles and airstream restoration and also for turning me on to THEVAP podcasts....very cool!
anxiously awaiting the arrival of my new axis axle so i can take pictures and share with the group how the whole experience unfolds.