Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2005, 12:34 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Dexter vs Henschen

Ok, I called Dexter axle today, gave them the specs for my 73 sovereign, 61.25 inches mounting flange to mounting flange. and 80 inches wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface 3500 pound axle.. I upped each axle 10 % +-.. and I requested a 45 drgree drop due to needing some unbuttdragging clearance. They quoted me 387.67 out the door per axle. (I did not ask for a shipping quote)and that is complete with electric brakes.and greasable bearings.. I think she said it was an extra seven bucks for the permantent lube jobbies.But I prefer to repack yearly..
Granted this axle is not going to be a direct bolt on .. it might require some fabricating. so Is it really worth saving a little bit of money to buy a Dexter over a direct replacement? My friends, I will leave that decision up to you.. It is a beautiful day here in central Indiana..now if it will just stay that way.
Ericjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 12:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Only you can determine if it's worth it. And you probably won't know till after it's done.

But the 'unbuttdragging' remark certainly makes MY day.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Unhappy Wal-Mart or Nordstroms

If you're pulling an Airstream why are you looking for a cheaper axle?

Are you trying to protect and preserve your Airstream for years of fun and safe use? If so, the RIGHT parts will save more than the cheap ones.

Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #4

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I put a dexter axel on my Caravel because the RV shop I used to do the work recommended them, as did many other Airstreamers I talked to. There was some fabbing involved, but there would be on a Caravel with any axel because of the short mounting flanges, as I understood from previous forum posts. Anyway, we put a lot of miles on it last year and are very happy with it.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Dexters are a moot subject for me

According to Dexter's website info, the Torflex axle is not recommended in triple axle applications. Fortunately my present axles seem to be fine, and we typically run the roads at least once a month, so I know the rubber's getting a workout, as opposed to being stationary.

I am thinking about fashioning a cradle of sorts to relieve weight on the axles while not traveling for the express purpose of trying to prolong the life of them.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
Paula,

Dexter axles are not reputed as lower in quality. It's just another manufacturer, recommended by all I know who have their axles. The markup is lower, but that's unrelated to its quality. The tough part is the installation, just as Eric writes. Just another option, a more complicated installation procedure, but not necessarily a worse option. One that I'm considering too (heck, I'm considering all options)!

I'm also interested in finding out what folks who have installed one think, too...

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord

Are you trying to protect and preserve your Airstream for years of fun and safe use? If so, the RIGHT parts will save more than the cheap ones.

Tin Lizzie
The right part was a Dexter. I think...
I trust Dexter axles just as much as a Henschen any day.
I am getting an axle made by an axle shop. It is custom. It will be far superior than what was under it. It will last longer than I will live. That's a long time considering I am just a youngster!
It will be safe.
It will be preserved.
For years and years to come.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord

Tin Lizzie
If by 'cheaper' you mean lower quality, I don't think that has been demonstrated.

If you mean 'less expensive', what's wrong with that?

Dexter is a $350M company. That's larger than Airstream and Henschen combined. They have resources for R&D, metallurgy, manufacturing and quality assurance that comes from being a larger corporation.

I think the advantage for Henschen is that they grew out of an in-house operation by airstream. They know the dimensions and design specs.

If someone wants to switch to Dexter or AL-KO, and they're willing to do the research and legwork to save some money, I say more power to them!
Old 03-29-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I'm wondering what exactly has to be done to make a dexter axle fit? also, what about allignment? I believe the Henshens are alligned at the factory.

but for the $$ quoted....you could probably get new axles with brakes, and have someone else install them for less than it would cost to do it yourself w/ henshens. hmmm.....
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 04:32 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
I'm wondering what exactly has to be done to make a dexter axle fit? also, what about allignment? I believe the Henshens are alligned at the factory.

Not to cast fuel on a blaze, but I'd be interested to know how Dexter ships their axles - if they're in some kind of a crate where it's obvious if they've been dropped, or like Henschen, where with a two axle purchase they're merely banded together, or with just one, you get nothing at all. If an axle has been dropped, I could see where alignment could be affected somewhat.

Stephanie, did your new axle come directly to you, or to a local dealer who then installed it? Do you know how it was shipped?

Old 03-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Alignment specs are:

multiple axles must be parallel to each other within 1/8"
axles must be perpendicular to the centerline within 1/4" total (1/8" per side)

The original set-up on my 1959 tradewind was out by 1/2". I corrected it when I put on a new coupler.

I do not know how the axle was shipped because I picked it up from the distributor. I believe that Dexter uses their own trucks to ship to distributors. The highest risk of damage is shipping the axles by common carrier.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #12
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
I believe that Dexter uses their own trucks to ship to distributors. The highest risk of damage is shipping the axles by common carrier.
If the first part of this is indeed true, then that's pretty interesting.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:12 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

Airstream uses Dexter axles also

At the Sarasota rally in one of the sessions, the Airstream rep said Airstream had used Dexter axles on the International series in the last few years. If you drill down into the "Airstreamer" pages on the Airstream site to the maintenance books, you can see what axle was used on a particular model of Airstream. E.G. a 2002 22ft International has a Dexter axle.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 07:18 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Spies
At the Sarasota rally in one of the sessions, the Airstream rep said Airstream had used Dexter axles on the International series in the last few years. If you drill down into the "Airstreamer" pages on the Airstream site to the maintenance books, you can see what axle was used on a particular model of Airstream. E.G. a 2002 22ft International has a Dexter axle.

Hmmm.... I'm not too sure about that... just looked at the maintenance manual for a 2004 Classic. Mentions Dexter brake assemblies, but nothing about the axles being Dexters...

In fact, the part numbers for the axles end with "H" - as in Henschen. Found this to be the case with the Internationals as well.

Old 03-29-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

keep looking...

Not all axles have H after the part number. Look at the 2002 trailers.
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:22 PM   #16
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dexters on Internationals

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Hmmm.... I'm not too sure about that... just looked at the maintenance manual for a 2004 Classic. Mentions Dexter brake assemblies, but nothing about the axles being Dexters...

In fact, the part numbers for the axles end with "H" - as in Henschen. Found this to be the case with the Internationals as well.
Classics do have Henschens. My 2003 does and there were big racks of Hnschens at the factory when I was there.

My 2003 International AS had a Dexter axle. The shipping tag from Dexter was still taped to the axle. I pulled it off and still have it in my workshop somewhere.

I have had two previous trailers with Dexter axles. As far as I can see, the quality and performance matches Henschen all the way.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1961 22' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
What about another possibility DH keeps on considering. Our 61 is a from a transitional year. Most did not have duratorque axles. So, what about just reverting it back to a leaf axle?

Mary
fireflyinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 09:27 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Spies
Not all axles have H after the part number. Look at the 2002 trailers.
You are correct indeed, Herb. It seems they were selective in where they were used, through 2004 apparently.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska
Classics do have Henschens. My 2003 does and there were big racks of Hnschens at the factory when I was there.

My 2003 International AS had a Dexter axle. The shipping tag from Dexter was still taped to the axle. I pulled it off and still have it in my workshop somewhere.

I have had two previous trailers with Dexter axles. As far as I can see, the quality and performance matches Henschen all the way.

John,

I'm guessing your International had the Dexter Torflex axle? The Torflex, at least outwardly, seems very similar to the Duratorque. Why then, do you suppose that Airstream cheerfully uses Duratorques in triple axle configurations, where Dexter doesn't seem to want to? In reading up on their site they seem to make quite a lot out of not overloading the axles - even by doing something as relatively tame as going over a speed bump in a parking lot, or railroad crossing. I could see something like running off a big curb or hitting a large pothole, but the other examples they offer seem kind of ordinary.

Our previous trailer (large pop-up) also had a Dexter Torflex axle.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:47 PM   #20
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I just put a Dexter Tor-flex under my fiberglass Burro 17' last summer. It is the #10 3500 lb variety. It required that the old mounting brackets be cut off and new ones installed. The quality was excellent. It was $290 with brakes delivered to Midwest Wheel in Cedar Rapids IA. Talking with Jim Fogdall at Ace Fogdall in Cedar Falls IA, there is no problem with replacing the Henschen with Dexter, provided that the bracketing is done properly. I have recently relocated my '70 Safari, and believe it will need a new axle as well. I'll have no problem replacing the Henschen under it with a new Dexter when the time comes. If I do, it'll be with the Nev-r-lube bearing cartridges. As far as the Behemoth... I agree with Dave's assessment... although I don't understand why Dexter wouldn't recommend them in a triple axle configuration either... who knows... maybe Henschen doesn't recommend it either!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote