Old 04-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #113
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I've tried to find a chart or file that lists end config and length. Not found yet. Everything has been make/model/year driven so far for cataloging.

I'm going to look at mine and see if my pre recall hose config that I made up has a chance. It's a brake hose and 3/8 to M10 bubble steel coupling line.

The line on the frame is 3/8 24 3/16 inverted tube and the caliper is M10 bubble. They used an M10 to 3/8 24 adaptor at the caliper.

S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 09:12 AM   #114
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
So Vester (my trailer guy) is putting an axle lift on my 64 Tradewind tomorrow. We are using 2 by 3 in. channel and most likely reinforcing the vertical plate which is just 3/16 in. We will also tack weld the channel because there are just 2 bolts holding axle on each side. I will post a picture if I can get a good shot. We installed a new black water tank and added a gray water tank but lost 3 in. of clearance and I could no longer get the trailer in my driveway without building a ramp. The new clearance is now the same as some SOB's but I like to keep it in driveway to work on it. Also afraid of getting pined in somewhere because of the lower clearance.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:06 PM   #115
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttbikes View Post
So Vester (my trailer guy) is putting an axle lift on my 64 Tradewind tomorrow. We are using 2 by 3 in. channel and most likely reinforcing the vertical plate which is just 3/16 in. We will also tack weld the channel because there are just 2 bolts holding axle on each side. I will post a picture if I can get a good shot. We installed a new black water tank and added a gray water tank but lost 3 in. of clearance and I could no longer get the trailer in my driveway without building a ramp. The new clearance is now the same as some SOB's but I like to keep it in driveway to work on it. Also afraid of getting pined in somewhere because of the lower clearance.
Do you know, that changing torsion axles after about 25 years, also raises the trailer 3 inches ??

Raising the trailer and having axles with worn out rubber rods, does not in any way provide the soft ride that an Airstream must have, or else.

Andy
Old 04-10-2016, 11:16 PM   #116
1 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Klamath Falls , OR
Low hanging fruit......of ...... the .......loom

Some of what I have learned about torsion axles.
Until two years ago, torsion axles were not adjustable in height. Now they are available in a fashion that allows height to be adjusted. More angle on trailing arm gives more height clearance. A set will probably run about $1700.
Our local Frontier Trailers sells 40 to 50 stock and horse trailers per year with torsion axles instead of leaf spring axles. They have never seen any worn out.

My next stop is Basin Tire to check tire clearance. In the meantime I will disassemble my septic to figure out if I can gain clearance with different plumbing. Maybe relocate the shutoff valve to a horizontal position with plumbing below to tie into the grey water.
Old 04-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #117
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Do you know, that changing torsion axles after about 25 years, also raises the trailer 3 inches ??

Raising the trailer and having axles with worn out rubber rods, does not in any way provide the soft ride that an Airstream must have, or else.

Andy
I of course agree with you. Got a new Dexter axle, centramatics and electric brakes though you two years ago. That was job one on the my renovation.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #118
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
On The Road To Wherever We End Up , Traveling the USA
Lift kit install on 2008 30' Classic Limited

This past weekend I took the plunge and bribed a good friend to install the dexter lift kit. A full two day job. I have disc brakes, no issues at all on the brake line.

The major problem we encountered was the rear belly pan. We had to drop it and cut the front corners off. This was a real PITA. Not quite as bad, but still a pita, getting to the bolts for tightening. One of them, Gary had to fish the bolt and washer.

Watching my friend do this work, I must say his ingenuity and resourcefulness is nothing but amazing. Examples, we did not drop the pan to the ground because of the valves. He used a jig saw and small hand saw for most of the cuts. One of the areas those two cutters could not get to. Gary pulls out and produces a "nibbler" and proceeded to cut five inches of the tank....many, many hand pulls. Another example was the two wenches we bought from Northern tools, a stubby 15/16 and a 10" 15/16. They were both too thick and Gary ground them down to be able to get next to the side by side bolts. These two wrenches shared the workload 50/50. On the street side rear axle, these wrenches met their downfall.....until Gary added a 12" extension. Enlarge the photo and you can see where they were ground

I'll add a few more pictures.

If Gary wants to chime in on any or all, please do. I can't thank him enough. It was a great learning experience for me. At one point I wish we had not done it. But now, glad we did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	362.2 KB
ID:	260997  

https://instagram.com/silvereagle3100/
SilverEagle6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 07:36 AM   #119
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Pan lowered.both front corners of the pan by the rivets had to be cut out.

My plan to patch the holes is to use this rubber sided thin metal they use as flashing for window install.,it has a strong adhesive that I will reinforce.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	119
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	260998  

Old 04-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #120
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Finished product. I have 16" wheels and they are below the wheel well by almost 2".

After install I drove about 150 miles to get home. No issues, country roads,m4 lanes and busy interstate.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	140
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	260999  

Old 04-20-2016, 12:39 PM   #121
explorer

2010 30' Flying Cloud
On the Road Full Time , Utah
Looks great silver eagle!
Old 04-20-2016, 04:49 PM   #122
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Owners, please keep in mind, that the "Dexter Lift Kit" does not take the place of bad rubber rods in torsion axles.

If the rubber rods are finished, then the shell will receive excessive shocks.

Adding the lift kit, will not, in any way, nor to any degree, reduce the negative effect of road shock.

The lift kit, does indeed serve a very useful purpose, for those owners that have steep driveways, etc.

Andy
Old 04-20-2016, 06:38 PM   #123
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
I'm the "friend" that John bribed.

This was accepted as a challenging project for a friend. Even after actually doing it, its still a challenging project but John is now even a better friend. Pretty good deal.

IF you're considering installing one (and these comments are based on only one installation, a 2007 Classic) first, look at each axle flange and visualize it dropping down 3". Clearance issues or not?

Raising and securing the trailer in the process, ALL of your best safety practices required to do this job goes without saying but gotta mention it.

I think the PITA is access to removing the old bolts and then at least double that complexity as you insert the lift brackets and reattach the axles. Don't have welding but do have a fair amount of shop junk and both wrenches needed ground to narrow them to fit in the small space available. All in all, fairly small grinding.

The biggest oh crap moment was the street side rear lift bracket would not slide into position, no way no how. The pan covers really said ain't happening. We had to really drop the pan cover a lot (John's pic is actually upside down) and then lower the axle enough to slide the bracket in from behind. I got it in only to find out that the poo tank interfered. Back to the vise and out comes the disc grinder for a trim to clear the poo tank.

That was when we had to fish a bolt and washer into position from over a foot away. You have to get creative. but getting the wrench onto it, that's where the extension came in just to get the wrench on the fastener. No way could that tape hold the torque but somehow the fastener took hold and the wrench just kept everyone honest.

Didn't see this in the Dexter instructions but I used a 6" machinist square to scribe a line from the axles as installed position up onto the frame. This was used as a reference line to reposition the lifted axle.

Yup, I made a fuss about the brake hoses, a real unknown. Made a sketch and then checked with a wheel off using a piece of small diameter hose to check the new lifted position. This confirmed that the hose did have enough slack to accomodate. but this was the recall hose config, slightly longer but with a short steel line to transition to the caliper. We did not have to touch the brakes that a couple of months ago we replace the actuator and properly bled the system.

Its a pretty easy sounding job, lift a trailer insert the lift brackets and reinstall the axles. Right. Wait till you do one for the first time.

John and his premium half Jeannie are the big reason that I said, sure lets give it a shot.

Happy trails John & Jeannie.
S/OS #001
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
Old 04-20-2016, 07:27 PM   #124
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
2008 30' Classic
Thanks again to Gary, all the work, the great campfires and to his bride Linda for some very special meals.
Glad to had this done and to have shared the experience with two great folks.

Old 04-24-2016, 06:53 AM   #125
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Lawrence , Kansas
Used 1 1/2" by 3" channel and went from 2 bolts to 4 bolts per side. 3 hours labor by an an experienced repairman. Our first trip out was 500 miles and I did not notice a difference in ride. Have been to 2 Airstream rallies, and no one noticed the height change until I pointed it out. I do think it looked better lower, but I now can get in and out of the driveway.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	138
Size:	335.3 KB
ID:	261279   Click image for larger version

Views:	122
Size:	240.8 KB
ID:	261280  

Old 04-24-2016, 09:32 AM   #126
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
ttbikes,

Did you weld the axle to spacer and weld the spacer to frame? That's what it looks like in the pic, just curious.

Gary

S/OS #001