Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
Me too, but,................what can a person do???

Andy
Well Andy, we vote with our check books. When a guy like me tells you I'm not going to buy an axle with Chinese parts on it and you tell Henschen/Axis/Dexter that you are not able to sell axles to people in North America because we demand quality goods, things will change. I for one am willing to spend more for North American quality. If you have an axle built in America, with all American, Canadian or European brakes installed, Ill buy a set. That's why I buy NewBalance running shoes that are made in the USA! There are people that will pay more for higher quality. I'm one of them.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:18 PM   #44
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb379_2010 View Post
Well Andy, we vote with our check books. When a guy like me tells you I'm not going to buy an axle with Chinese parts on it and you tell Henschen/Axis/Dexter that you are not able to sell axles to people in North America because we demand quality goods, things will change. I for one am willing to spend more for North American quality. If you have an axle built in America, with all American, Canadian or European brakes installed, Ill buy a set. That's why I buy NewBalance running shoes that are made in the USA! There are people that will pay more for higher quality. I'm one of them.
Lance.

Also as a pilot, I totally agree with you.

However, when you deal with the retail trade, and you say the cost is xxx, because of top quality, the typical answer is, I can and will get it cheaper, someplace else.

So the bottom line is, did businesses create the overseas stuff, or did the American public create it by demanding "cheaper stuff" ?

As to demanding "all american" product from a manufacturer, they all basically say the same thing, namely, we can't because our competition won't do it. Or, they say. "go someplace else to get it". The problem then becomes "where is this other place".

I am totally "all american", however "what does a person do" ?

Insisting on nothing but the best, from vendors, at least in the RV industry, is I think, a fantastic thing to believe in, but also a great way to quickly go out of business.

So, who brought what on whom???

Maybe another task for Obama??

The old story of "supply and demand" always seems to pop up at the top of the page.

Andy

Old 12-24-2010, 07:37 PM   #45
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
So the bottom line is, did businesses create the overseas stuff, or did the American public create it by demanding "cheaper stuff" ?

Better than 90% of Americans have no choice.

The oxymoron of "free trade". Americans now make a bit less money than in 1972, and no family wage jobs have been created in this country since 2000 . . it's a McJob or a MegaJob, no more middle class.

Couple that to the abandonment of the Sherman Anti-Trust Act since Reagan -- and the subsequent mergers/acquisitions across the economy that have created monopoly in every sphere of life -- it's no wonder that a few players control each of most industries. And, without a tariff, there's no "competing" with Chinese prison labor. Low wages = WalMart or it's equivalent in most things, as the cost of life has risen inexorably despite no wage growth.

I'm hesitant to change anything from original on a trailer for fear that the replacement will in no way meet previous reliability or performance.

I linked this post to a man considering a set of these axles for his trailer, and hope that he chooses an alternative (an AVION in his case, with OEM AL-KO axles).

It's frustrating to read about these problems, and expensive to fix when one suffers from our continued race to the bottom.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote