Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2008, 09:35 PM   #41
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Uh, okay. I guess I can just pretend that I understand that.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 08:20 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toldfield
Uh, okay. I guess I can just pretend that I understand that.

In the simplest of terms, we are both happy to have new axles under our Caravels, the difference being:

Yours probably cost over $1000 installed.

Mine cost $425 installed (including welding the old shock mounts to the new Dexter axle).

You saved time, I saved money.

You gained peace of mind.

I gained confidence and hands on knowledge that I can pass on to other resourceful do-it-yourselfers and I overcame the seeds of fear and doubt that are planted on this forum by a certain vendor every time the word “axle’ is mentioned.
I also have peace of mind.

Dan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #43
Tom O

1966 17' Caravel
Altadena , California
Thanks, I was having a little trouble with it and you are right about the end results.

CA-7
Toldfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan
In the simplest of terms, we are both happy to have new axles under our Caravels, the difference being:

Yours probably cost over $1000 installed.

Mine cost $425 installed (including welding the old shock mounts to the new Dexter axle).

You saved time, I saved money.

You gained peace of mind.

I gained confidence and hands on knowledge that I can pass on to other resourceful do-it-yourselfers and I overcame the seeds of fear and doubt that are planted on this forum by a certain vendor every time the word “axle’ is mentioned.
I also have peace of mind.

Dan
Ding, Ding, Ding. Give the man a prize!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 04:47 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Merritt Island , Florida
AAA-men

Well put Dan!
C Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 AM   #46
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Axle Replacement

I will tell you all how I came to my decision on what to do about my shot axle. I was in the middle of a shell off floor replacement with a deadline and trip plan attached. I couldn't justify the possibility of Dexter getting my axle order wrong. I needed to be able to get the axle, bolt it on and be done with it. Yes I could have gotten it cheaper. At the time Dexter was routinely getting the Airstream axle orders wrong, even with exact measurements. I went with a Henschen from Andy at Inland RV. I am, to this date, very happy with my decision.

When I can, on the way home from work, pick up the axle, get home, drop the old one, bolt the new one on. I am a happy camper because the next weekend I have to Re-wire the 120 v, install plumbing, rebuild a gaucho, etc, etc. You get the idea. Read- Time crunch.

I wasn't scared or duped into buying a Henschen from Andy. It was simply the best decision for me at the time.

In the end we are all happy with the results of our labor. Either we spend more to save time or spend less with emphasis on one part of our trailer. We both win, in our minds. Now we can all camp together at the same time ! Great isn't it ! It really boils down to what is best for you at that moment in time. What gets you to your goal.

Thats just my .02 on this subject.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 AM   #47
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
south lyon , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
the bracket is for mounting the axle to the underside of a frame channel. Since the airstream has a mounting plate already welded to the side of the frame channel, and it hangs down beneath the frame and has a square cutout there to accept such an axel, the bracket isn't needed.

imagine if you were gonna make a homemade trailer out of some frame members....you'd need to weld "something" on the underside to bolt the torflex axle to. So you could weld that bracket on, then you'd bolt the axle to it.

as for "shocks"...experts dont' seem to agree on the necessity.
Dan,
I noticed that the shock mount has a stud that appears on my trailer to be welded to the shock bracket. Your "installed" picture shows what looks to be a new stud or bolt. Were you unable to use the original? How did you remove the old stud to replace it? I know that welds are usually pretty hard to drill through. I am considering making up a new set of brackets so that I will be "ready to go" when the new axle arrives. Any advice re: bolt size, hole size or whatever would be appreciated. Also, what's the best way to determine the exact location of the bracket on a new axle so that you don't bottom out the shock before the swing arm hits the jounce stop on the frame?
bobtrem
bobtrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtrem View Post
Dan,
Your "installed" picture shows what looks to be a new stud or bolt.
bobtrem
The shock mount studs were all intact on my Caravel, the hardware you see in the picture is just the new nut and washer I had to buy for the new shocks.

I don't understand why you would have to make new shock mounts, just cut the mounts off the old axle and weld them to the new axle.

The shock mounts on my 65 Caravel are vertical, do yours look like those I have pictured?

Dan
Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:49 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
south lyon , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
The shock mount studs were all intact on my Caravel, the hardware you see in the picture is just the new nut and washer I had to buy for the new shocks.

I don't understand why you would have to make new shock mounts, just cut the mounts off the old axle and weld them to the new axle.

The shock mounts on my 65 Caravel are vertical, do yours look like those I have pictured?

Dan
It was a suggestion from a friend who has a caravel also. Since I would like to reuse the stud, I will probably cut off the old ones and reuse them. My shocks are vertical, just like yours.
Bob
bobtrem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1965, 1965 caravel, caravel