Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
but i'm pretty sure the dexter disc brake will not fit behind your oem rims...
2air'
They do. I have them.

Old 04-07-2008, 10:42 PM   #30
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Likewise, shock absorbers help dampen the road shock, which maximizes the "soft ride," and goes hand in hand with good axles.

If it has been determined the the trailer is getting a rough ride from bad axles, then according to Airstream engineers, shocks won't eliminate that problem, but not using shocks, will increase the road shock that the trailer will receive, even with new axles, or for that matter, bad axles as well.

Andy
IMy experience has been that shocks are not necessary with any kind of torsion axles. I ran my new install with and without shocks for many miles to determine this.
I am not sure what AS was after when they decided to put shocks on a rubber torsion axle, but it definitely wasn't ride quality.

Old 04-07-2008, 11:07 PM   #31
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
They do. I have them.
uwe...

the OEM classic 5 spoke alcoa rims?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 AM   #32

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
... since it seems that no one stocks them, except the factory...
Some of our local trailer companies stock them since they are becoming very popular on horse trailers and many new highline 5er's are coming standard with them. Of course everyone of my trailer breakdowns have occured after business hours on a Saturday so it doesn't matter if they are piled high behind the "Closed" sign

I agree on regular maintance of the brakes but a deciding against a no maintance hub for that purpose akin to designing a trailer that will suffer from rear end seperation just so the toilet seal will be replaced on a regular basis
HiHoAgRV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Portage , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by binkers
and I'd like to do the most economical thing. Thanks in advance.

Dexters are half the cost, thats economical right off the bat. Most people have more time than money. Correct measurements is all it takes.

Derek
Old 04-08-2008, 02:13 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
I installed a set of Dexter's last year on my 78'. I have the #11 axle with the disc brakes and I know for a fact that the original Alcoa rims will not fit with the #11 axle and disc brakes. It is close, but not close enough. I can not say for a fact, but I would guess that if you purchased a #10 axle with disc brakes, they may fit. The new rotors that I have were larger than the original rotors that Airstream installed. My decision came down to cost. For $200 more (delivered) than the cost of the standard electric brakes made by Henschen, I got 2 alxes with disc brakes and a E/H acutator. I will admit that I did have to drill (4) extra holes in the mounting bracket., and enlarge the opening a little. One set of the bolt holes lines up perfectly. If you are going to tackle a job like putting new alxes on your rig, you probably can drill some holes. You could also save a bunch of money if you don't mind electric brakes. I also made the mistake with the rims. I had to purchase 4 new rims becasue the originals did not fit over the larger Dexters discs. I was able to sell my (4) old rims for the same price as I had to pay for (4) new rims that fit. If you want to keep your old Alcoa rims, you may do some research on the #10 axle, or fork over the big $ for the Henschens.
Old 04-08-2008, 03:27 PM   #35
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock53
I installed a set of Dexter's last year on my 78'. I have the #11 axle with the disc brakes and I know for a fact that the original Alcoa rims will not fit with the #11 axle and disc brakes. It is close, but not close enough...
yeah erock, that was the info i had too.

given the o.p. has a 34 ft trailer going with the smaller diameter isn't a great idea.

there is clearly a used market for the 5 spoke alcoas, i've got 9 of them!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim
I didn't think you could use Dexter's on tripple axles.

See the first page of this doc.
I talked to Dexter about this. They say they downsize the general hardware throughout the axle when then produce a lighter rated axle. Since the TorqueFlex axles do not have any type of equalization between the axles they are afraid that if the trailer load was placed on one axle, going over a bump, that the axle would bend.

Having just resently installed Henschen axles and having had serious brake problems with their Chinese components if I were to do it again I would order Henschen axles without brakes and hubs and install Dexters brakes.

I assume if you could ever get beyound the Customer Service people at dexter they would make a system up using heavier axles and just insert the correct rated rubber rods in the tubes.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:26 AM   #37
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
uwe...

the OEM classic 5 spoke alcoa rims?

cheers
2air'
Sorry, I wasn't thinking of the new style rims. My Overlander's weel did fit, and so did the wheels of all the 70's trailers, both steel and alloy.
Good to know that the spoke wheels don't fit.
Are there other known wheel styles that do not fit over Dexter's big brakes?
Old 04-09-2008, 08:34 AM   #38
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by erock53
I installed a set of Dexter's last year on my 78'. I have the #11 axle with the disc brakes and I know for a fact that the original Alcoa rims will not fit with the #11 axle and disc brakes. It is close, but not close enough. I can not say for a fact, but I would guess that if you purchased a #10 axle with disc brakes, they may fit. The new rotors that I have were larger than the original rotors that Airstream installed. My decision came down to cost. For $200 more (delivered) than the cost of the standard electric brakes made by Henschen, I got 2 alxes with disc brakes and a E/H acutator. I will admit that I did have to drill (4) extra holes in the mounting bracket., and enlarge the opening a little. One set of the bolt holes lines up perfectly. If you are going to tackle a job like putting new alxes on your rig, you probably can drill some holes. You could also save a bunch of money if you don't mind electric brakes. I also made the mistake with the rims. I had to purchase 4 new rims becasue the originals did not fit over the larger Dexters discs. I was able to sell my (4) old rims for the same price as I had to pay for (4) new rims that fit. If you want to keep your old Alcoa rims, you may do some research on the #10 axle, or fork over the big $ for the Henschens.
Unfortunately, the #10 axle doesn't come with the 6-bolt HD hubs any longer. Dexter is telling us that a #11 axle is required to get the 6-bolt hub with the 5-bolt brake flange.
This could be a problem for smaller vintage units in the future, like a 70's double axle Safari for instance. The smaller units like Safaris, TradeWinds, and Overlanders require 2600lb to 3200lb axles, while the #11 axle has a minimum capacity of 3400lbs. It might be best to order the Henschen axle set for these, as that manufacturer makes the light duty axle with the heavy duty hubs. It simply is a better fit for these types of trailers.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:04 AM   #39
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63
Unfortunately, the #10 axle doesn't come with the 6-bolt HD hubs any longer. Dexter is telling us that a #11 axle is required to get the 6-bolt hub with the 5-bolt brake flange.
This could be a problem for smaller vintage units in the future, like a 70's double axle Safari for instance. The smaller units like Safaris, TradeWinds, and Overlanders require 2600lb to 3200lb axles, while the #11 axle has a minimum capacity of 3400lbs. It might be best to order the Henschen axle set for these, as that manufacturer makes the light duty axle with the heavy duty hubs. It simply is a better fit for these types of trailers.
well that's an interesting turn of events. I thought that the axle's rating was simply a function of the length of the rubber rods, and that they could be de-rated simply by cutting the rods down to a shorter length. Seems odd that they would have these sorts of restrictions, when each one is made to order. (?)
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 11:28 PM   #40
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Dexter Tor-Flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
well that's an interesting turn of events. I thought that the axle's rating was simply a function of the length of the rubber rods, and that they could be de-rated simply by cutting the rods down to a shorter length. Seems odd that they would have these sorts of restrictions, when each one is made to order. (?)
I know. Weird. For a while, we could order the Dexter #10 axles in just about any weight rating with never lube hubs only. Now, they no longer offer that.
I have a message in to Dexter engineering, hoping to get first hand info on the subject.
btw. we installed a set of Dexter disc brake axles just this afternoon, and it went really well, as usual.
The #11 axle requires the axle plate cutout to be enlarged slightly, and one of the holes( the front one in our case) has to be re-drilled. Installation took about 30min per axle, preparations beforehand about 1.5 hours, with coffee breaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6036.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	57952   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6039.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	57953  

Name:	DSCN6040.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	57954   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6041.jpg
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	57955  

Name:	DSCN6042.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	57956   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6043.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	109.2 KB
ID:	57957  

Name:	DSCN6044.jpg
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	57958  
Old 04-10-2008, 12:43 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Nice work Uwe!

Any idea which Dexter axle came on our AS? I believe they are rated at 3800#.

I imagine that new discs will be in our future....as soon as the drum brakes are gone, will be running the Safari to Orange, just a warning.

time
Old 04-10-2008, 08:48 AM   #42
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thing is, they still make smaller dual axle trailers that aren't much heavier (if at all) than their vintage counterparts. What do they use on those? did they go back to Henschens? I suppose if you call up Dexter and say, "yes, I'd like 1,000 axles, please", they'll do whatever you want.

'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote