Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Nice work Uwe!

Any idea which Dexter axle came on our AS? I believe they are rated at 3800#.

I imagine that new discs will be in our future....as soon as the drum brakes are gone, will be running the Safari to Orange, just a warning.

time
Old 04-10-2008, 07:48 AM   #42
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Thing is, they still make smaller dual axle trailers that aren't much heavier (if at all) than their vintage counterparts. What do they use on those? did they go back to Henschens? I suppose if you call up Dexter and say, "yes, I'd like 1,000 axles, please", they'll do whatever you want.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:03 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Chelsea , Michigan
I ordered my new axle for the '64 Globetrotter from Andy. Just got the phone call that it's ready for pickup at the factory. A couple hour roadtrip and it'll be home, ready for install. Thought long and hard about the Dexter but figure either one is probably OK if it's done right. The Henschen gave me an unfair advantage over my less-than-mechanically-inclined brain. No ciphering, no expletives after overlooking some detail that I didn't quite understand, etc. Looking forward to bolting it on with the help of some new pals I found here on the forums. Wife doesn't understand why we're buying a $700 axle if the current one isn't broken. Explained it's like a new foundation under the house. Anybody know how to explain what a foundation is?
GT
GlobeTrottin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
A foundation is the base upon which all else is built. It is the backbone to any structure and without it being sound, all will collapse.

Holds true for buildings, trailers and even things we're not supposed to talk about here.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:23 AM   #45
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin
I ordered my new axle for the '64 Globetrotter from Andy. Just got the phone call that it's ready for pickup at the factory. A couple hour roadtrip and it'll be home, ready for install. Thought long and hard about the Dexter but figure either one is probably OK if it's done right. The Henschen gave me an unfair advantage over my less-than-mechanically-inclined brain. No ciphering, no expletives after overlooking some detail that I didn't quite understand, etc. Looking forward to bolting it on with the help of some new pals I found here on the forums. Wife doesn't understand why we're buying a $700 axle if the current one isn't broken. Explained it's like a new foundation under the house. Anybody know how to explain what a foundation is?
GT
Foundation.

1. The basis on which something stands or is supported.

2. A cosmetic base for makeup.

3. A corset.

Have her pick one.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 11:00 AM   #46
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Thing is, they still make smaller dual axle trailers that aren't much heavier (if at all) than their vintage counterparts. What do they use on those? did they go back to Henschens? I suppose if you call up Dexter and say, "yes, I'd like 1,000 axles, please", they'll do whatever you want.
Yes, quantity always makes things easier.

Airstream uses 10in brakes and smaller axles on the Safari 22 and 23, according to their spec sheet.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #47
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Area63

Airstream uses 10in brakes and smaller axles on the Safari 22 and 23, according to their spec sheet.
ahh. that makes sense. I suppose thats always an option for a replacement. wonder how much of a "downgrade" that would be, in terms of braking performance? Of course, it makes the lower price..."less lower", considering you'd have to buy 5 new wheels, and have the tires re-mounted/balanced.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #48
Area 63 Productions
Commercial Member

1963 26' Overlander
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1963 19' Globetrotter
Orange , California
Send a message via Skype™ to Area63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
ahh. that makes sense. I suppose thats always an option for a replacement. wonder how much of a "downgrade" that would be, in terms of braking performance? Of course, it makes the lower price..."less lower", considering you'd have to buy 5 new wheels, and have the tires re-mounted/balanced.
I am not sure about the downgrade, as this is a setup I have never towed. I don't hear owner complaints.
I wonder if the 10in hubs are available with 6-lugs?
Old 04-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Does anybody know if you can get a Dexter axle with hubs that have wheel studs instead of bolt holes in the 6 bolt 5.5 inch centers?
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:43 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Yup. Just add the request when you place the order
6 on 5.5 pattern 1/2-20 studs
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 12:48 PM   #51
4 Rivet Member

1976 24' Argosy 24
1999 30' Excella 1000
White Haven , Pennsylvania
Thank you very much. George.
Gkiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #52
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobeTrottin
GT
I think you made a good choice. The AS was designed with the Henschlens and the installation is not terribly difficult. It did take me all day but then again I am disabled and didn't exactly push the pace. Some Barley Pop helped! Sometimes an OEM product can be improved on, I have not seem anything that improves the Heschlens. If I had something more moder, some sealed bearing in combination with disc brakes would be nice. With the drums, you may as well repack every now & then, that way you can check your shoe were and the condition of the brakes, hubs etc. Sort of keeps you "intimate" with the trailer.

I certainly have nothing against Dexter axels, they make an excellent prodect. Had Dexters on a cargo trailer a few years back. We never really had to do anything outside of routine maintenance on the bearings and brakes. The torsion bars seemed fine. There was a lot of heavy cargo hauled on that trailer and it was a long way from being a new trailer.
Smokin Camel is offline   Reply With Quote