Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California
Originally Posted by bilby05
I decided to chill a bit and go back to the shop and talk it over with the axle guy. He was very nice about it. Answered my questions and agreed to redo the job. He said he was sure that 0 degree aspect was correct and suggested that I have the trailer weighed to avoid any confusion on axle strength. He called me later and said he had talked to someone at Inland RV, Gregg I think, and agreed that we need to go with the 22.5 degree down axle aspect and reduce the axle support weight down to the 3500# range. Said that Inland RV told him what they use and my original idea had been in line with that. He was a real gentleman about it and said he could probably get the new axles within about 3 days and would put them on in short order. So I am a happier camper today then yesterday. Will keep on with the update. BTW I wasn't in the Marines, but USAF and forgot to relate the project to the necessity of full instruction and confirmation that I learned there. I did know a Marine once tho. :-) Could tell some war stories about that. That was 34 years ago. I must be getting old.
cheers, bill b.
The two 5200 pound axles will destroy your shell in short order, unless you don't intend to tow it.

The A-frame won't take it, the frame won't take it, rear end separation will soon appear, and especially if the running gear is not finely balanced.

Even 4000 pound axles for your trailer would be excessive.

For a torsion axle to do it's job, the torsion arm must have some deflection.
With the ratings you received, that torsion arm won't budge.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
He's correct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Andy on this one!

Old 02-06-2007, 08:02 PM   #17
1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Ongoing Axle saga

Originally Posted by doorgunner
34 years ago- that mighta been me. Semper Fi. Glad to hear you did not need any help! To bad this shop weren't closer I'ld be giving them my axle business. DG
I was in Nakon Phenom Thailand, aircraft controller, my Marine acquaintance was a liason for USMC to USAF, since "they" had a whole other system for flight control and refueling aircraft. He had a whole other system for everything.:-) quite a character.

I will keep posting on the axle bit. Maybe my experience will help others get it right the first time. I think the point about Airstreams being quite different from any other trailer on the market, at least in the axle department, is well taken.

I think the most obvious mistake I made was not actually printing out a Dexter order form and going over it with the local dealer. Would have saved him some grief and me too. My dad always said "some people live and learn and others just live." I wonder if he meant me, as the latter?:-)
cheers, bill b.
1962 Airstream Tradewind
2001 Ford 7.3 Diesel
Old 02-20-2007, 07:08 PM   #18
1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
Me too!!!

Picked up the Airstream(again) and this time it is much better. After talking to Inland Marine the local trailer guy agreed with "us" and apparantly had a long talk with the people at the Dexter factory or distributor. They set up the axles to be 3500# rating. They said they use the same heavy duty axle mechanism, but put a softer rubber torsion band inside. So I got the 12 inch drums and brakes, EZ lube bearings, and they hooked up my shocks as per airstream and I had a smoother ride home. For sure I need to readjust the brake controller, it was pretty grabby, but since I did not have the hitch bars hooked up for the short trip home I will have to do that another day. I think it may be time to start looking for new shocks. It seems to be going "boing," "boing" a lot. But "boing boing" is better than "clunk clunk." It now rides about 3-4 inches higher than it did and I am pleased with the job, and recommend Youngs Trailer in Amarillo for honesty and willingness to do it over to get it right. Talk to Pat or Brandon, they are good guys.

My recommendation?
1. be sure you know what your axle load rating is.
2. be sure you know what your angle of deflection is.
3. be sure that you know that the installer knows that you know
4. use the dexter spec form and go over it with the installer
5. don't rely on anyones experience, even your own
6. save yourself and the installer a lot of grief by nitpicking the details
go to inland rv and get henschens, right Andy?
cheers, bill b.
1962 Airstream Tradewind
2001 Ford 7.3 Diesel
Old 02-21-2007, 01:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Mosheim , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
A Good Ending

Glad that your dealer helped to make the situation right.

We should all be up in arms! In my opinon, Airstream's advertising led "new" purchasers to believe the axle would last forever. No issues other than wheel bearings and brake pad replacement to be dealt with. What a joke this is, and Hencshen is laughing all the way to the bank...

Kevin with Baity the Lab/Pointer
//------AIR # 7303------\\
WBCCI 17109
visit my restoration blog at:
Closed Thread