Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
Dexter axle question

how much is a dexter axle installed with new brakes??? tx, g
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Gail,
That would depend on the installer. I will be installing my (2) dexter axles myself. The axles were about $400 ea complete.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

I think a pretty standard single axle installation fee is about $250 or so. Axle costs vary from dealer to dealer.
toddster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
If it is a straight axle it will cost alot less then a torsion axle. Which are you looking for?
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Smile Changing Dexter axles

Just attended the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Rally in Wyoming. One of the presentations was about Dexter axles and reasons for replacing them. The presenter is from Colorado and does refurbishing trailers. He said there are some considerations on how the brackets are done, even though they are suppose to be bolt on applications for the Airstream. The presenter was Luke Bernander of Luke's Maintenance and Repair Company, Fort Collins, CO. 970-222-4065. Luke said to feel free to call him and ask questions. He would be glad give you all of the information needed for your application.

I hope this helps you.
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 16' Sport
Malibu , California
i think it is a straight axle and I thank you for your info. We do not have brakes so we will ck axle at the same time, next weeek
gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Gail...check out InlandRV.com - They're not all that far from you, they stock them and will be able to advise you about everything you'll need...got mine there, and am happy with the outcome...
Old 09-10-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Gail,

Why are you replacing the axle?
You have a pre-62 so you have leaf springs holding up a straight axle.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 09-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by gail View Post
how much is a dexter axle installed with new brakes??? tx, g
Will probably swap the straight for the offset. This is what I paid for mine.

Axle is a Dexter.....#5200 straight 70" track 53" underslung...$189.00
Drum 12 x 2.....6 bolt.............................................. ............$159.30
Backing plate 12" L.H............................................... ..........$68.99
Backing plate 12" R.H............................................... ..........$68.99
U-Bolt kit............................................... ............................$14.00
Shackle Link...2.5"....5/8 hole.............................................. $9.00
Shackle Bolt....5/8"/ lock nut............................................... $29.34
Bushing............14-73 rednek............................................ ..$89.94
Grease and Pin............................................... ...................$5.00
Parts total............................................. .............................$633.56

Labor............................................. ....................................$75.00

Sale tax............................................... ..............................$38.01

Grand total............................................. ............................$746.57

Labor included: Install backing plate, clean and pack bearings, adj brakes
and weld on shock mounts, installed rubber bushings to leaf springs, plus
they answered all of my questions on wiring, brake away switch and much more.

The shocks where bought at Amazon.com
2 Monroe 555002 Gas-Magnum R.......$18.39........................2 $36.78
(Per Monroe tech support)
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I got pretty much the same setup, but the prices are from five years ago.

5200# 4" drop axle $121.93
12x2 backing plates $ 91.94
12" Hubs w/bearings $101.12
U bolts & plates $ 14.84

You can see that prices aren't going down.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydecrashcu View Post
Just attended the Rocky Mountain Vintage Airstream Rally in Wyoming. One of the presentations was about Dexter axles and reasons for replacing them. The presenter is from Colorado and does refurbishing trailers. He said there are some considerations on how the brackets are done, even though they are suppose to be bolt on applications for the Airstream. The presenter was Luke Bernander of Luke's Maintenance and Repair Company, Fort Collins, CO. 970-222-4065. Luke said to feel free to call him and ask questions. He would be glad give you all of the information needed for your application.

I hope this helps you.
I just had Luke replace the axle on my '74 20' Argosy. A Dexter, with full bells and whistles, self adjusting brakes, grease gun lube bearings, new shocks, and so on. Luke did a wonderful job, and I am very happy with the results. Total price was in the range of $1000, I can't say exactly, as I had some other things done. But Luke is a first class act, and I cannot say enough good about his work. It was well worth the 1000 mile trip each way to have him do it for me.

I could have had Inland get me an axel, pay the price, have it shipped to Idaho, found someone to install it, and it would have cost me more than Luke charged.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
1976 Argosy 24
Olsburg , Kansas
Talking Luke does it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I just had Luke replace the axle on my '74 20' Argosy. A Dexter, with full bells and whistles, self adjusting brakes, grease gun lube bearings, new shocks, and so on. Luke did a wonderful job, and I am very happy with the results. Total price was in the range of $1000, I can't say exactly, as I had some other things done. But Luke is a first class act, and I cannot say enough good about his work. It was well worth the 1000 mile trip each way to have him do it for me.

I could have had Inland get me an axel, pay the price, have it shipped to Idaho, found someone to install it, and it would have cost me more than Luke charged.
How was the trip to Colorado, I hope just fine. I have found Andy from Inland very helpful in the past as others have mentioned on the forums.

A couple of years ago I was needing to replace the brake back plates, etc. on my 68 and telephoned Inland. During our conversation of course the cost came up and shipping. He asked what state I lived in and he said his supplier was in my state and gave me their phone number. I telephoned the company and found a outlet in my city. I was able to save money on shipping which helped a lot. He did not have to do that but to me that was good business. I will do business with him in the future, I appreciate the honesty of businesses today. I have also had great success with the Vintage supply as well.

That is a obvious reason to me for owning a vintage trailer, the suppliers are willing to help out when possible and you also meet a lot of very nice people on the way.

Luke seems like that same type of person that I addressed earlier in this post. I will probably change out my axles and the drive to Colorado for me would be enjoyable and I would not have to do the mechanic work like I usually do. If I do the work myself I will still contact Luke to have him order the axles, etc. I do not need the backing plates since mine are only a year old.

I am glad he was able to help you!
clydecrashcu is offline   Reply With Quote