Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2020, 05:37 PM   #1
Steamgauge

1966 24' Tradewind
Bonney Lake , Washington
Cut out for new axle

I hope this does not sound stupider than normal. I have new axles for my '66 Tradewind, I know I have to widen the axle opening in the frame 1/2" but do I have to open it up as well so the bracket makes contact with the trailer frame. I have see it both ways and am wondering which is the best.

My unit has a C channel frame. The Dexter installation instructions show the axles should be bolted to the bottom of the frame rail. This is not the way the original axles were mounted as the frame has been reinforced around the opening. This may be moot point as I plan to enclose the frame.

The more I read the stupider I get.
steamgauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #2
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
Perhaps a picture would help here....

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
I've only dealt with 1966 and older. As far as I know, have seen, read or heard under no circumstances do you bore any holes in the frame rails themselves. The axles bolt to the side plates only, the 1/4 inch flatstock that is welded to the outside of the frame. Thats the purpose of the side plate, strenghten the frame at that critical weight point & provide an anchor point for the axle. I've seen the dexter instructions myself, pretty sure that part does'nt apply to our application. Yes we have to widen the slot for the modern axle. As far as the axle contacting the frame? Makes me wonder. The axle tube itself no. The mounting plate pre welded to axle tube should be high enough to contact the bottom of the frame rail. However I've only replaced originals with the Dexter "high Mount" option mounting plate, extra inch of lift. Barts right, a pic could clear it up.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 07:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by steamgauge View Post
I hope this does not sound stupider than normal. I have new axles for my '66 Tradewind, I know I have to widen the axle opening in the frame 1/2" but do I have to open it up as well so the bracket makes contact with the trailer frame. I have see it both ways and am wondering which is the best

My unit has a C channel frame. The Dexter installation instructions show the axles should be bolted to the bottom of the frame rail. This is not the way the original axles were mounted as the frame has been reinforced around the opening. This may be moot point as I plan to enclose the frame.

The more I read the stupider I get.
There are a couple of photos here>
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f437...ml#post2034315
Old 02-12-2020, 09:31 PM   #5
Steamgauge

1966 24' Tradewind
Bonney Lake , Washington
cut out for axles

It has finally stopped raining long enough to get a picture of the cut out.Click image for larger version

Name:	20200210_134646.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	357.8 KB
ID:	361046 I measured the distance from the bottom of the frame to the opening and it equals the distance from the top of the axle tube to the top of the frame rail is the same. I am just going to open the cut out back 1/2 inch. Years ago I worked for Reese hitches, we used serrated washers with self locking nuts on the adjusting ball-mount. I think I will use this type of washer with a self locking nut to mount the axles opposed to flat washers and lock nuts.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Vintage Kin Owner
Northern VT , Vermont
Yes,but. In my experiance the new X mounting plate holes don't often line up perfectly with the existing holes in the side plate. Before you expand one side 1/2 inch you may want to check it out. Odds are one existing bolt hole will line up with 1/2 inch or less expantion & you then expand slot and bore the other side of the plate. The risk is opening up the slot a 1/2" on one side then both existing bolt holes are off a half a hole, bummer, fill weld & rebore. Also axle must be exactly perpendicular to center line of trailer. Both sides the same or risk "dog leg". Useing the same existing, front or back holes on both sides eliminates that potential problem.
putback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 10:54 AM   #7
Steamgauge

1966 24' Tradewind
Bonney Lake , Washington
axle mounting

I agree that would be ideal. It seems the mounting plates have been changes since my 66 was built. There is a long/short side from the cut out on the 66 the long side is toward the front of the coach. The new axles have the long side facing the back. It seems I will have to measure carefully open up the cut out toward the back and drill all new holes once I get the axle up and squared.

I found a thread from 2011 that described the same situation for a 67 Carnival. Just my luck to get a coach that is not standard anymore.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:02 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
1972 21' Globetrotter
SW , Missouri
OP do you have any tips for someone that is about to tackle this?
Peter417 is offline   Reply With Quote