Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Complete axles for 375.00??

I am replacing the axles on my 63 Ambassador and have been given a quote of $375.00 each for the complete axle (Dexter). I have also asked for a price on just the base axle. Does anyone have any idea if this is a reasonable price?

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30’ Globetrotter
2001 30' Excella
Phoenix , Arizona
we paid $800 each for complete axles with brakes, bearings, etc....

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
thats reasonable

I got my last axels from Southwest Axel in Dallas. Perfect fit, 12 in brakes...a complete, ready to go assembly.....$380.00. My Henchen was great too....three times as expensive.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
My HENSHENS were $750 each complete with 12 inch brakes, that included the freight. I might add that they fit perfect with all the holes in the correct places. I changed them myself in 4 hrs. Oh I forgot to mention Im 70 yrs old. NO STRAIN NO PAIN
YA GETS WHAT YA PAY FOR.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 01:15 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
That's about right for Dexters. As mentioned above, for Henshens double the price.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
down south , South Carolina
63Silver,

Let us know how the install goes. I need to replace mine as well.
Dieselgrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
1973 27' Overlander
1963 19' Globetrotter
Naples , Florida
I`m not familiar with the 63 Ambassador,does it use the torsion axle? Dave
easyride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
That's the going rate for a standard, fully stacked torsion axle. Two of the four bolt holes line up. The other two can be easily drilled out for installation (I prefer a die grinder with a metal burr). Add an extra twenty minutes of your time for installation and your ready to go.
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
Where's TomW? If memory serves (and kick me if I'm wrong), Tom ordered the Henschen axles but was a wee bit disappointed when he found out he had to drill the holes.

As for prices, as noted the quote price seems about "right" as do the follow on quotes for the Henschen axles... that is if the quote for the axle assembly. I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say "base axle." You may want to confirm what the vendor is shipping to you.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Science Hill , Kentucky
63Silver....I say we have a axle changing party....we are going to be needing to change the ones on our 74 Argosy as well....
Dotz(daschund) CB (daschund) Oh and 3 kids!!!
TAC# KY-3
mouth012006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #11
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
Where's TomW? If memory serves (and kick me if I'm wrong), Tom ordered the Henschen axles but was a wee bit disappointed when he found out he had to drill the holes.

Airstream required Henschen to change the brackets for the 69 models and newer, which elevated the trailer one inch.

That then requires drilling at each end, 3 each 1/2 holes in the axle mounting bracket thru the axle mounting plate and installing grade 8 hardware, which is provided.

That suggestion comes from the engineers at Airstream and Henschen.

Or, you can go to the trouble of increasing the height of the axle mounting plate and drilling 2 each 5/8 holes, at each end.

The problem is that the 68 and older axle mounting plates are too short.

Everyone is advised of the drilling necessity, and no one has really complained, since to our knowledge, regardless of the axle brand, the drilling is still necessary.

The drilling saves a lot of headaches that you would have if you added to the axle mounting plate.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:02 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I am replacing the axles on my 63 Ambassador and have been given a quote of $375.00 each for the complete axle (Dexter). I have also asked for a price on just the base axle. Does anyone have any idea if this is a reasonable price?

63silver
Your old hub and drums, will not fit on a new axle.

The bearings are different sizes today.

Andy
Old 02-10-2009, 09:50 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
I'm not trying to create a conflict, Andy, but this is what Tom wrote:

"But I can not get over the fact that the original axle flanges were simple pieces of angle iron, and the axles most likely arrived at Airstream’s factory with 5/8 inch holes predrilled in the flanges. Since my Henschen axle was custom-built especially for my Overlander, with the amount of money I paid for the easy way, it does not seem to be asking that much to have the original style flanges with pre-drilled holes welded on to start with. And, while I’m wound up, the non-supplied mounting hardware was slated to be of the ½ inch variety whereas every single one of the holes on the new flanges was 5/8 inch or bigger. What would have been wrong with supplying the correct-size hardware?"

I wouldn't call this a complaint, more a suggestion for improving customer satisfaction. I think the point is that for pre-'69 coaches, there's a little more work involved... and this might have some bearing on the decision between Henschen and other brands. Of course, the willingness of a vendor to stand behind his or her product is also an important consideration. Whether someone is going to buy Henschen, Dexter or some other brand, it's important to have a vendor willing to make things right if necessary. I can't speak for others, but when I buy I'm thinking about more than just the lowest possible price.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I'm not trying to create a conflict, Andy, but this is what Tom wrote:

"But I can not get over the fact that the original axle flanges were simple pieces of angle iron, and the axles most likely arrived at Airstream’s factory with 5/8 inch holes predrilled in the flanges. Since my Henschen axle was custom-built especially for my Overlander, with the amount of money I paid for the easy way, it does not seem to be asking that much to have the original style flanges with pre-drilled holes welded on to start with. And, while I’m wound up, the non-supplied mounting hardware was slated to be of the ½ inch variety whereas every single one of the holes on the new flanges was 5/8 inch or bigger. What would have been wrong with supplying the correct-size hardware?"
Rarely can someone at home drill 5/8 inch holes.

Many many people have 1/2 inch drill motors.

Quote:

I wouldn't call this a complaint, more a suggestion for improving customer satisfaction. I think the point is that for pre-'69 coaches, there's a little more work involved... and this might have some bearing on the decision between Henschen and other brands. Of course, the willingness of a vendor to stand behind his or her product is also an important consideration. Whether someone is going to buy Henschen, Dexter or some other brand, it's important to have a vendor willing to make things right if necessary. I can't speak for others, but when I buy I'm thinking about more than just the lowest possible price.
The bracket question has been reviewed many times, by Henschen, by Airstream and by us.

The answer always comes up the same. The bracket that was used from 1968 and older is obsolete., for a number of reasons, mainly because it lowered the trailer by one inch.

We inquired as to "what would it take" to once again have that bracket available for the 68 and older trailers.

The answer is that one out of about 10,000 axles would use that bracket. Therefore it is far from cost effective.

We asked "how about an additional charge" to have that bracket availble.
The answer from Airstream and Henschen was the same. That bracket is obsolete, and it will remain that way, since new special jigs would also have to be created, which would create a huge production line problem, in that now 2 lines would have to be used, not just one. Secondly, the cost effectiveness, would be huge production losses.

Sorry, but we don't make the axles.

We can only order what will work on someones trailer with a minimum of effort required on their behalf.

Henschen is still the only manufacturer that can supply a correct axle, without having any more than the trailer serial number. No one else can do that.

Not to many things that are 40 years old or older, have absolute "direct" replacement parts. Henschen comes about as close to it as possible, but in some circles, "no cigar."

Drilling the 6 holes per axle is far less of an inconvenience than having to engineer the entire axle and/or accept product with less than ideal specs, such as brake size, weight ratings and starting angles.

Of course there are always cheaper ways to do many things in our lifetimes.
The choice is always up to the individual, and for their personal reasons.

Most owners want their Airstream to be kept original or better, as in the case of advanced technology.

Some don't care at all.

We usually see those trailers on e-bay with careful photo's that don't show the "real" trailer. Then it becomes "buyer beware."

Andy
Old 02-10-2009, 11:19 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
In my experience, many parts made by aftermarket manufacturers are superior to OEM parts. The aftermarket auto parts industry is driven in no small part by owners who want to improve the performance of a vehicle above the standard established by the manufacturer.

I'm probably not a "typical" Airstream owner--if there is such a thing--but I don't want to keep my '67 Overlander "original." In my opinion, LED lights are superior to incandescents; new convertors are superior to the old Univolt technology; the list goes on.

We decided from Day One to replace the axles on our coach. Since we're in frame-and-floor mode now, we haven't made a decision on what axles to install. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think new Dexter axles would represent an improvement over the existing 42-year-old Henschen axles. Are Henschen axles better than Dexter? I don't know. The lower initial cost may be partly offset by having to tweak the installation a bit... but as noted, there's going to be some work under the coach one way or another if you have an older Airstream.

What I don't understand is why Henschen axles cost more than twice as much. If there were a relatively modest price difference between Henschen and Dexter, I think Henschen would dominate the Airstream renovation market. At double the cost... I think a fair number of people are scratching their heads.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
In my experience, many parts made by aftermarket manufacturers are superior to OEM parts. The aftermarket auto parts industry is driven in no small part by owners who want to improve the performance of a vehicle above the standard established by the manufacturer.

I'm probably not a "typical" Airstream owner--if there is such a thing--but I don't want to keep my '67 Overlander "original." In my opinion, LED lights are superior to incandescents; new convertors are superior to the old Univolt technology; the list goes on.

We decided from Day One to replace the axles on our coach. Since we're in frame-and-floor mode now, we haven't made a decision on what axles to install. I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think new Dexter axles would represent an improvement over the existing 42-year-old Henschen axles. Are Henschen axles better than Dexter? I don't know. The lower initial cost may be partly offset by having to tweak the installation a bit... but as noted, there's going to be some work under the coach one way or another if you have an older Airstream.

What I don't understand is why Henschen axles cost more than twice as much. If there were a relatively modest price difference between Henschen and Dexter, I think Henschen would dominate the Airstream renovation market. At double the cost... I think a fair number of people are scratching their heads.
The biggest reason is that Dexter sells a production run axle, where your choice of specs is limited, especially when they send you 10 inch brakes instead of 12 inch, axles with smaller spindles, as well as other specs that are standard to them, but not to your Airstream.

Henschen replacement axles are made to the exact specs that your trailer requires, including upgrades such as starting angles and weight ratings. Those are made, one at a time. Then are not involved with a production runs.

But they are custom made, one at a time, which allows many choices of specs.

Anything made, one at a time, to special specs instead of a production run, will cost more.

How about the cost of manufacturing an Airstream trailer, as opposed to a Fleetwood Prowler? One at a time, or production??

Andy
Old 02-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #17
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Please restrict your postings to the topic subject. In addition posts that continue a negative tone will generate moderation.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Hey,
I did not mean to start an arguement. I have read many of the axle thread and see the same issues arising. I tend to look at the axles like this, while I would like to have a Mercedes I can only afford a Ford. BUT, the Ford does a great job and gets me where I am going. If the Dexter's will work for half the price that is what I want. Take a look at my pictures, I still have a lot of work and money to put in this trailer and at the moment I could use this money for a new toilet (not EVEN going to ask for opinions there). At 375.00 per axle (complete with brakes) I have not found them any cheaper. A little adjustment will not be a problem, I have the help (thanks, 94tri) and the tools and a dry place to work. On another note, there were only four bolts holding each axle on, does this sound right?

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:54 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
Hey 63Silver, ask about the angle while you are at it..........22 degrees or 35degrees. Any thoughts out there?????????
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
axle questions.

10 inch brakes or 12 inch brakes?

Spindle size?

Weight rating?

Starting angle?

Andy