Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-10-2009, 06:00 PM   #21
Ham KI4HJX

1982 27' Excella
1970 23' Safari
Franklin , 28734
axles

I got my old axles off today with the help of a cutting torch. I didn't know how bad they were until I got a close look at them. The rubber had lost all of it's spring and they were setting on the stops. I choose to use axles from Inland RV. They are rated a little higher in load value and have a little more angle added to them. This will raise my airstream an additional inch or more. By the way it is a 1982 Excella. A little over 25 years old it needed axles badly. My 1970 Safari also needs a axle and when I replace it I will call Inland Andy and see what he can do for me in the way of a custom fit also. It makes all the difference!
Ramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
I have removed one of the old axles and will be taking it to the dealer on Saturday. They will be using the old axles for measurements. The new axles will have 12inch brakes, 35 degree angle and 3500lb rating unless I request something else. I have no idea about the spindles. I assume they will take care of that.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:12 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Some Dexter tips . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Silver View Post
I have removed one of the old axles and will be taking it to the dealer on Saturday. They will be using the old axles for measurements. The new axles will have 12inch brakes, 35 degree angle and 3500lb rating unless I request something else. I have no idea about the spindles. I assume they will take care of that. 63silver
Hi 63Silver:

Visit the Dexter web site at Dexter Axle - Trailer Axles and Running Gear Components - HOME and read all about the various options so you will be informed when you meet with the Dexter axle dealer this Saturday. When I ordered my custom manufactured Dexter Torflex #11 single axle last year, I got the one inch higher pro standard mounting plates (swapped side-to-side with reverse orientation) that raised the trailer 1 inch higher than it would have been with the standard low mounting plates. This allowed me to keep the 22-1/2 degree arm down angle but gain 1" height for the trailer and frame to make changing tires slightly easier (by raising the wheel well from the axle thus providing more room) and better matched the trailer ride height to my 4X4 truck ride height. I also ordered 30" jacketed leads for the electric brake cables. Hubs were 5200 pound rated 6 lugs on 5-1/2" bolt circle diameter with DXQ 12" diameter electric brakes and E-Z lube bearings. Landed cost including sales tax was just under $500.00. It's one mighty fine axle!
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
47weewind,
Thanks for the information! That is the stuff I need to know before I end up with something that won't work. I absolutely want the trailer to set several inches higher that it is right now. I had read on an earlier post that Dexter did not offer a 12'' brake but that is not what the dealer told me. I would much rather have the 12's since that was the original design.

Thanks,
63silver
Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
More helpful hints . . .

Quote:
47weewind, Thanks for the information! That is the stuff I need to know before I end up with something that won't work. I absolutely want the trailer to set several inches higher that it is right now. I had read on an earlier post that Dexter did not offer a 12'' brake but that is not what the dealer told me. I would much rather have the 12's since that was the original design. Thanks, 63silver
Hi 63Silver:

Don't believe everything you read on the Forums; no one contributor has perfect knowledge or recall. Do a search for "Dexter" or "Dexter axle" in the Forums and read the applicable threads to get informed. There is some good data on ordering Dexters in past posts. But then do your own research and spend some time discussing with your Dexter dealer (and if the dealer is not too sharp, then with Dexter engineering) what features you want in your Dexter axles before ordering them.

Once the axles are built to your specs, you own them, so be careful in deciding what to order and then double-check the order sheet to verify it contains the specs you want. You cannot be too careful when ordering custom-built goods of any kind. You are going to live with those new axles for a few decades, so spending a week or two beforehand discussing and learning more about axles is time well invested. Good luck and have fun.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
London , Ontario
What we have found is that the Dexter axles loose about 1/2 of their suspension travel after a few thousand miles of towing. I think this is because the center bar inside the axle is not heat treated like the Hension axles are. This allows the centre bar to spiral which is what limits the travel.

Dexters are cheaper but if I was spending hundreds of hours redoing an older Airstream I would certainly invest the extra for the Hensions to preserve the life of the trailer. If you ride in a trailer with hensions you can tell the difference t is hard to tell from the tow vehicle.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 05:03 AM   #27
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Good to know that after a three week sabbatical nothing has changed in the great axle debate.

Almost anyone can drill a 5/8 inch hole. Some can even do it with a 3/8 inch drill. It does not necessarily take a 1/2 inch drill, it does however requires a 5/8 inch bit.

Good luck with them axles.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
What we have found is that the Dexter axles loose about 1/2 of their suspension travel after a few thousand miles of towing. I think this is because the center bar inside the axle is not heat treated like the Hension axles are. This allows the centre bar to spiral which is what limits the travel.
Andrew,

Where did you get your info?

I asked this question of Dexter... and Rick Kapsa (Product Manager Dexter Axle Company) replied that the center bar is heat treated.
https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
Almost anyone can drill a 5/8 inch hole. Some can even do it with a 3/8 inch drill.
Yes frank, it's easy with some oil and a drill bit like this...

https://byamcaravanner.blogspot.com/
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:34 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I was about to say I just bought a 5/8" bit from the local True Vallue.... cuts like butter....
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:53 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1970 23' Safari
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
Lambertville , Michigan
Quote:
47weewind,
Thanks for the information! That is the stuff I need to know before I end up with something that won't work. I absolutely want the trailer to set several inches higher that it is right now. I had read on an earlier post that Dexter did not offer a 12'' brake but that is not what the dealer told me. I would much rather have the 12's since that was the original design.

Thanks,
63silver
63Silver,

Bring that trailer up to Michigan and I will set the height wherever you want it! I have done axles on 40's, 50's, 60's, and 70's Airstreams, and converted the solid drop axles to torsions. Send me a PM and I help through some of this w/o the public argument.

Dave

Yes, I am still working on it.
drag'nwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Thanks for the offer but I'm not sure about a 28fter on one axle since the other is in the back of my truck. I appreciate the help and advise. If there is anything else you think I should know please tell me. I guess I need to think about shocks as well.

63silver
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM   #34

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Now we get can into the back and forth about engineering, materials etc., and none of us will get the definitive answer. We've got tons of axle discussions and they have never given the definitive answer. The fact is there is a difference and if you have followed these threads you will see that it comes down to your budget, your belief in using a replacement from the original manufacturer or a competitive manufacturer. Factor in the competition factor and you will find a variance.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote