Old 06-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #15

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
But, as always, to each his own. With the popularity of E-bay, all of can get rid of any nightmare that we may have created, on purpose, or otherwise.

It happens every day.

Unfortunately, current laws can't do much about fraud.

Andy

Andy, I will take responsibility for the changes I have made to my own trailer, and I certainly do not intend to ever pass it off on eBay. I certainly hope you are not implying that I would do such a thing.

I still cannot imagine what exactly the extra #500 capacity of my new axel is supposed to do to the trailer. Considering I have had it open to the frame and had all the front joints re-welded (since the original joints had failed over the years) I don't know what can possibly go wrong. I have a good axel mounted on a strong frame with a solid wood floor. I suppose if the harsh ride were to shake apart the trailer in the section that hasn't been rewelded, I would just open it up and do the same thing again. Or beef up the frame for more strength and ridgidity. But I do not consider the ride to be harsh, and I have stated repeatedly that I am very happy with it.

I do not believe that I am causing irreperable harm to my trailer in any way. I have never told people outright to go do what I did, but I will gladly tell them what I did, and how it is working for me.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 02:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello axle folks,

the extra 500# rating means that the axle can support more ,as you all know
To do that the axle must use stiffer rods or higher durometer reading rods rather to hold up another 500# of weight.So that would make it ride harsher and that is what airstreams don't like.But if it was going to be heavier loaded
with more modern floors or countertops or cargo then that higher weight would help the trailer ride smoother.A truck rides smoother with a load on it than it does unloaded ,as an example.Stephs trailer sounds well constucted
and strong ,but would ride stiffer empty ,no doubt ,but Its had upgrades done to it also which makes it harder to compare trailer to trailer.The people who have installed heavier rated axles as posted on the forums pretty much have all said there airstream would be heavier with the upgrades they have done
So that should be noted,but an airstream that is not expecting heavier upgrades or beefier frames etc.,should get the correct rated axle .you don't want to downgrade for sure, nor increase ridigity with too high a rating .

Scott

Old 06-03-2006, 12:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Andy, I will take responsibility for the changes I have made to my own trailer, and I certainly do not intend to ever pass it off on eBay. I certainly hope you are not implying that I would do such a thing.

I still cannot imagine what exactly the extra #500 capacity of my new axel is supposed to do to the trailer. Considering I have had it open to the frame and had all the front joints re-welded (since the original joints had failed over the years) I don't know what can possibly go wrong. I have a good axel mounted on a strong frame with a solid wood floor. I suppose if the harsh ride were to shake apart the trailer in the section that hasn't been rewelded, I would just open it up and do the same thing again. Or beef up the frame for more strength and ridgidity. But I do not consider the ride to be harsh, and I have stated repeatedly that I am very happy with it.

I do not believe that I am causing irreperable harm to my trailer in any way. I have never told people outright to go do what I did, but I will gladly tell them what I did, and how it is working for me.
Stephanie

My comments were not directed at anyone. They were general in nature.

There are those that well think out just about everything they do, such as you have done with your Airstream.

I was refering to those that just "do it" and if it doesn't work out, they pawn it off on someone else.

It is absolutely amazing as to the trashed Airstreams we get in our service department, that were purchased on E-bay, and was told that the trailer was in good shape.

Andy
Old 06-05-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Not quite sure!

Quote:
You will "ONLY" have two problems.

One, the brackets won't fit.

Two, you will shortly damage the axle, since 2300 pound rating is "grossly" under rated, plus, if it has a small spindle, you will shear one off, because of the under rating.

Andy
Andy
Andy,

I disagree!

One - if the axle is welded on - Dexter's A/P kit will work great once the OEM axle is removed.

Two - you cannot assume that the Dexter spindle will be like that of the OEM's that as you put it "snapped at a rate of one a week"

Just two cents from a retired axle manufacturer!

Best Regars,
Henry
Old 06-05-2006, 10:35 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
I would say that if the spindle is of a small size as the original one is or smaller since the axle is 700# less than originally installed than there is a weakness right there ,breakage or not. The axle rating is incorrect ,problem also.Dexters are fine ,but all spindles are not created equal .these things need to be checked out and correct decisions made as the axle should meet or exceed the original unit in strength and reliability period.

Scott
Old 06-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
For what it is worth!

Spindles typically live in groups:

2000# spindle (1" diameter)

2200# - 2750# (1 1/16" diameter)

2800# - 3750# (1 3/8" diameter)

3800# - 7000# (1 3/4" diameter)

Since you upgraded to the 3000# Dexter axle you likely got the same spindle as a 3500# axle (1 3/8") thus, strength should not be an issue! Even the 1 1/16" spindle has a very low failure rate. Engineering is the key and Dexter has a great engineering team. Axles are a large liability as you can imagine.

Additionally, Dexter will build an axle to any weight rating that you provide. It may be helpful to talk to Engineering and not just sales - when contacting Dexter! By adjusting rubber cord length inside the axle a bit - many ratings are possible. You see the axles too - live in groups!

Regards,
Henry

PS: How are you progressing?
Old 06-12-2006, 10:57 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Yes ,definatley stronger ,Notice the significant spindle size differences as shown. the 1 3/8 is much heavier duty than the 1 1/16 size .You would be surprised if you compared the two side by side ,big time difference! Now if the originally ordered axle with the 1 1/16 spindle were used you can see how much weaker it is than the larger 1 3/8 spindle is .Also remember that with the larger spindle you get the larger bearings as well. All good stuff there.

Scott
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
progress, what progress

Actually I am waiting to be rung up today and told to come down to have the axle installed. It turns out "my guy" ordered the #9 axle from Dexter which is ???# to 2200xx#. The next one up, Number 10 goes from 2300# to 3000#. He has sent the first back and is waiting for the second.

Now, I got these numbers from the Dexter website so at the moment it does not seem as if the spindle measurement coincides.

Also, as I didn't want to kill my trailer and even though reccomended by some, I decided not to go with the 3000# and had them speck it to 2800#.

Still hoping to have this installed before leaving for the trip to Salem.

Thanks to you all for your helpful input. I will let you know when the axle is installed.
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
According to henrys posted spindle # info ,you will still get the 1 3/8
spindle so still better than the first choice .Your choice to go 2800 # is fine
as its only 200 # less .You won't beat up the trailer anyway even with the 3000# as it still would be correct .Remember ,its how much load also you will be carrying in your trailer as well that affects the ride .

Good luck

Scott
Old 06-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #24
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmGypsy
I will let you know when the axle is installed.
Looking forward to it - I wish you the best!

Regards,
Henry
Old 06-14-2006, 11:35 AM   #25
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstrmGypsy
Actually I am waiting to be rung up today and told to come down to have the axle installed. It turns out "my guy" ordered the #9 axle from Dexter which is ???# to 2200xx#. The next one up, Number 10 goes from 2300# to 3000#. He has sent the first back and is waiting for the second.

Now, I got these numbers from the Dexter website so at the moment it does not seem as if the spindle measurement coincides.

Also, as I didn't want to kill my trailer and even though reccomended by some, I decided not to go with the 3000# and had them speck it to 2800#.

Still hoping to have this installed before leaving for the trip to Salem.

Thanks to you all for your helpful input. I will let you know when the axle is installed.

Airstream and Henschen engineers, specified a 2500 pound axle for your 61 Bambi.

They still say, no more and certainly, no less, for normal usage.

Andy
Old 06-14-2006, 11:44 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Indiana
Quote:
Bottom line in your case, is anything "over" or "under" a 3000 pound rating, will not meet the approval of the engineers, nor will it stand the test of time.

That has been proven over and over again. We will not supply an axle other than 3000 pounds for any Bambi or Caravel built prior to 1969.

Guess work, for an torsion axle rating, has never been one of the formulas mathematical elements.

Andy
Andy,

What am I missing here?

Please inform,
Henry
Old 06-15-2006, 01:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hey Andy ,

are you saying yes or no or both?

Scott
Old 06-15-2006, 10:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
Hey Andy ,

are you saying yes or no or both?

Scott

Scott.

It depends on which year and what length. So the answer is yes and no. Sorry. Some apparent confusion took place back then, but the powers that be, still stand by the original specs, for the smaller trailers.

Andy