Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Running Gear - Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Axles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Chinese Wheel bearings!?

Anyone had any experience with these? My Safari 30 is now 4 years old and I have packed the wheel bearings annually which has worked out to 17-20k miles per year. My dealer was closed today so I go to a trailer parts center here in Houston and all they have is chinese bearings. These things are like 9 bucks each, they look cheap although the roller look ok.

I picked them up, but think I want to go find some Timken or SKF bearings on tuesday. The guy at the trailer place said they have been using them for several years.
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I don't know this for a fact, but it is entirely possible that even Timken or SKF bearings are made in the Orient now.

Bad from the jobs and "retained expertise" side of things, but consumers like the prices.

Remember the big push Wal-Mart once had for "Made in USA" products?

"Wal-Mart stores often are festooned with red, white and blue bunting. Until 1998, store signs urged shoppers to "Buy American." But in 1999, Wal-Mart was the nation's largest importer, according to the Journal of Commerce, with 53 percent of its clothing coming from China, according to a New York Times story last year."

Tha's an old quote, I figure. The real number today is almost certainly far, far higher.

It's all about the money...
Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
I am curious as to why you are replacing bearings? With maintenance there should be no problems.

I suspect the bearings on my 61 are original. The bearings on my truck are original at 550,000 miles
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I'm kind of with Rick on this. Sounds like you have taken good care of yours. Better than most, really.

Are you sure that replacement is necessary instead of a repack and new seals?
Old 05-29-2010, 07:35 PM   #5

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We just replaced all four sets of Timkens in our Avion with Chinese bearings. Not that I wanted to use them but locating anyone that had domestic bearings in stock in my area was virtually impossible.

So far - So good.

Will pull them do for PM next Spring for repacking and a brake service.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Maintenance...

I have been religous about repacking my bearings. The reason for the change is I noticed a slight (very slight)discoloration, a slightly darker tint to the rollers. I am a marathon driver, I may drive 17 to 19 hrs straight at 65 to 70 mph. I dont want any issues due to heat in the bearings. Have been using Mobil 1 axle grease (red stuff). The reason I am wanted to change them is just to be pro-active. If I cannont find quality replacements in a short time I will repack and use until I can order good quality.

When I compare one of the original Timkin USA bearings the surfaces just look "hardened" compared to the chinese bearings. What I dont want to happen is to gaul a spindle or mess up my hub as well.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Don't install a chinese bearing unless you want trouble.

Their metalurgy is total crap.

I installed new bearings in my trailer a couple years after buying it. Actually when I started caravanning. All were german Bauer bearings except for one wheel due to a shortage at the supplier. Guess which chinese bearings were pitted after 6 thousand miles.

My local shop "motion industries" manager says that the chinese do not burn the impurities out of the steel like the americans or germans. Result was pitted rollers in my case after only one trip west.

He also said to watch for "gray market bearings in boxes just like timken or skf or bauer. It is a big problem back east in saw mills, etc.

I just had my 1986 ford van front end redone. rotors, pads, seals, grease, etc. I told my repair guy to inspect the bearings and if not pitted, etc. to reinstall the same bearings. 188,000 miles and counting. Better than the new crap.
GM had trouble with 2500 pickup front ends (4wheel drive) in the early 2000's due to chinese bearings.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Winston Salem , North Carolina
The bearings, brakes and drums Andy sells are made in China.
Bearings and races at Northern Tool are made in China.
Most anything is made over there today.

I hope they will have a good service life.
Corresponding Secretary Piedmont NC Unit 161,
1967 Overlander International.
1979 Avion 30ft rear bath
TV's 88 Chevy Suburban 454, 3:42, TH400
95 Cadillac FW Brougham, LT1,3:42, 7k tow pk.
Silverwanabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I just bought a set of Timken Seals for my trailer. Made in China. got them at Auto Zone, bought to more at Napa, because AZ only had two, I needed 4. Napa's were made in Mexico. 6 of one half a dozen of the other as far as I am concerned.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 12:56 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hephzibah , Georgia
Im surprised nobody mentioned BCA bearings or National seals.
nti06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middleport , Ohio
Chinese steel varies in quality from junk to OK in a pinch. There is no way of knowing if you got good or bad. The Chinese bearings will never be as reliable or worry free as American products made to exacting quality standards.

It is a crap shoot. Why the retailers think we want a nine buck junk bearing over a fifteen buck top quality product is beyond my comprehension. I want QUALITY for a fair price.

Maybe that is why I am seeking my first AS... ;-)
Brucep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:44 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
If at all possible, I re-use the Timken bearings. If they are not pitted, they can last a long time.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
my bearing resolve..

I went ahead and cleaned my quality stock bearings and repacked them. In looking at the Chinese counterparts I just could not bring myself to risking trashing the spindle on the axle if one failed. They look SO cheap!

I will keep one full set on board for a roadside backup (emergency) and return the rest. I am glad so many others commented on the desire for quality bearings, like I said I dont mind paying the money I just want quality.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

I picked up a set of Chinese bearings for emergency use only, like a spare tire.

I couldn't find any local source of American-made bearings. The Chinese specials I bought are from a local trailer-manufacturing outfit, so obviously they are being put on at least some trailers as original equipment.

I've read that Timken has also begun importing Chinese bearings.

Does anyone know if American-made bearings are still available? Are new Airstreams supplied with American bearings?
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:06 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
Yes......now I'm curious about Airstream's new "Nev-R-Lube" hubs.
fmr.capt.evi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
I know that you can buy Timken bearings (and a LOT of other RV stuff) here:

Trailer Parts Superstore - RV Parts & Accessories (800) 453-7379

and somehow, I know that my trailer (a '99 Safari 23') takes Timken bearing set # 17 for the larger end of the spindle, and bearing set #4 for the smaller end ( can't remember how I found that out) ...

but I can't remember whether the Timken bearings are Chinese made or not ...

either way, I DO trust Timken to have good quality control. Am I paying a few bucks more per hub for the name? Maybe, but I also think that I get Timken's long history in metallurgy (for a long time they made their own steel ... not sure whether they still do or not), their known quality manufacturing methods, and their QC. I just sleep better at night this way, and the few extra bucks are worth it to me. Maybe not for others.
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:01 AM   #17
Roadtrain O--O~(--ooo--)

2000 34' Limited
1979 31' Excella 500
Miamisburg , Ohio
My experience with the 'offshore' bearings
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f465...tml#post591215
AIR #12881
TAC OH-10
ebair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airstreamer67 View Post
<snip> Does anyone know if American-made bearings are still available? Are new Airstreams supplied with American bearings?
I would hope that Airstream doesn't skimp on such an inexpensive part on their very expensive trailers... I don't think they would as a bearing failure could result in a VERY expensive warranty repair.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #19
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
My '05 came with Koyo bearings made in USA. I just replaced one bearing set which was toast (third inch free play at outside edge of tire).
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
My '05 came with Koyo bearings made in USA. I just replaced one bearing set which was toast (third inch free play at outside edge of tire).
YIKES! Can we presume you did annual maintenance?

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote