Old 10-01-2009, 08:58 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Ogden , Utah
Good info in this thread - thanks!

Are there any checks that can be done at home on a single axle trailer to get an indication if alignment is (more or less.....) ok?

Good shops can be tricky to find

Bob

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4WD
RDM16CCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM16CCD View Post
Good info in this thread - thanks!

Are there any checks that can be done at home on a single axle trailer to get an indication if alignment is (more or less.....) ok?

Good shops can be tricky to find

Bob
You can use the "OR" method, as described in post # 8 above.

Andy

Old 10-01-2009, 10:00 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
The tool they use for checking tow-in is a Trammel Bar. Couldn't think of that name before. I "googled" trammel bar and found instructions on how to make one. I wouldn't bother unless I was going to do several.

I think that Andy's "or" method should tell you if the tow is wrong.

And yes, shops that do alignment the "old fashioned way" with a pit and ramps rather than a drive-on rack may be hard to find. You might start by finding a shop which specializes in large trucks or buses. Or, take a vacation trip to Stockton, CA. The Sacramento/Stockton Delta area is very nice in the fall. Nice "Indian Summer" weather. ( I'm a bit partial, having lived in the Delta since 1972)
Old 10-03-2009, 09:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
How is the actual alignment done on the axle? I plan to have mine checked by very good shop in our area. do they shim something or bend it or what?
Old 10-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
How is the actual alignment done on the axle? I plan to have mine checked by very good shop in our area. do they shim something or bend it or what?
These axles have to be bent to change the alignment. When you say a Good Shop I trust you are refering to a truck axle shop as I doubt and car alignment shop will have the equipment.

My trailer on the rack
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130_3084.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	262.3 KB
ID:	88115  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 09:49 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
It is a truck alignment shop- Mutual Wheel in Milan ,Illinois. They work on trucks ,buses and trailers of all sizes so I should be good . They installed my axle (from Inland ) for me about 30,000 miles ago.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:53 PM   #21

2007 23' Safari SE
McCall , Idaho
Wheel Alignment in Boise area ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
Andy's right on.

With a long straight edge resting against the back sidewall of both tires, it should just miss the front sidewall of both tires. When held against both sidewalls of the front tire, it should then miss the rear tire. That's one of the checks they made at Hewitt.

The above is a good check, but does not insure proper alignment. Camber must also be correct.

AND........A good shop will check proper alignment with the center of the hitch for proper tracking going down the road. The axles may be in alignment in relation to one another, but that does not mean that they are pointing the right direction with regard to the center line of the trailer. They could both be pointing slightly to the left or the right, in which case the rear end of the trailer will track a little to the left or right of center going down the road. Should not be a problem unless it is excessive, but it's just not correct.

Proper wheel alignment on a trailer is not as simple as some would think. Bending an axle in such a manner as to get tow-in, camber and tracking all correct takes real know how, and good equipment. In our case, two very experienced guys spent nearly three hours, not including the initial check which took nearly an hour. The check took that long because they wanted to know exactly how far the axles were out of line. They wanted the numbers.
from mobytrout, McCall ID
need to locate a shop that can align the front axle of my 2007 Safari SE 23ft (maybe rear axle too) RT front tire exhibits significant uneven wear on outer tread pattern. Called factory and closest on their list is Eugene OR. Called R&R wheel in Boise and they can't do it. Request forum members input as to "local" shops in my area.
Thanks