Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2004, 01:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lightbulb Change wheel drum to match tow vehicle

Happy New Year to all!

Here is an interesting thought.

I have a single axle Argosy and plan to carry a spare tire for it in the Suburban. The Argosy has the standard 6-lug configuration which is different from the Suburban's 5-lug configuration.

It seems to me that an ecomomical and convenient solution to my desire to carry a spare for the Argosy would be to use the Suburban's spare, however the lug configurations differ.

So, I plan change the Argosy drums to match the 5-lug configuration of the Suburban so in the event I have a flat tire on the Argosy, bingo, I've already got a handy spare.

Question: is there any "magic" to the 6-lug configuration? Am I going to violate a rule of engineering that deals with weights and load stess on the lugs?

On a side note, the 4-wheel drive version of my Suburban that has alloy wheels has the same 6-lug pattern as the Argosy, but I own a 2-wheel drive model and have the 5-lug configuration.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 01:54 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I would not downgrade to a 5 lug hub. The number of lugs is directly proportional to the weight the axles, hubs, wheels and tires are designed to carry. Your asking for trouble IMHO.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally posted by Pick
I would not downgrade to a 5 lug hub. The number of lugs is directly proportional to the weight the axles, hubs, wheels and tires are designed to carry. Your asking for trouble IMHO.
I agree with Pick. I have seen "multi-lug" spare wheels that will fit various 4, 5, and six lug patterns. If anything, maybe check these wheels out and see if one would be satisfactory, load-wise, for your trailer. If you have to make one fit the other, I would try to make the suburban match the trailer, instead of the other way around. In compromising, always try to upgrade to the heaviest item, rather than try to make the heavier application work with the lighter. That is a recipe for disaster.
Before dismissing this out of hand, the axle shaft on your Suburban should be the same as the axle shaft for the 4X4 unit, and should be a straight swap. Front rotors may be more of a challenge, but should also be do-able.

Then, get a spare wheel from Andy at Inland RV, assuming you don't already have one, and put a load range C or D tire on it to match the trailer tires (P225/75R15), and keep it in your Suburban as a universal spare.

Terry
(on Marie's computer)
sd90mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 04:28 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Change wheel drum to match tow vehicle

Greetings Rick!

If your Argosy 20 has the same wheelwell clearance parameters as my '78 Minuet 6.0 Metre - - and based upon some casual observactions at last year's Rocky Mountain Region VAC Rally I think that they are quite similar - - I don't think that a wheel/tire combination from a Suburban (1990s to present) would fit within the wheelwell regardless of the wheel's bolt pattern.

My solution has been to protect the spare wheel and tire for my Minuet with a Zippered Spare tire cover (it was designed for a luxury car where the tire was simply lowered into a well in the trunk) and store it on the floor of the Suburban with a bungee cord securing it to the floor mounted tie-down eyelets.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 12:10 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Rick,

I have a spare tire carrier on my sovereign that is a fairly simple device. I would think that a dealer can purchase them from Airstream or that one could be duplicated from a simple sketch.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

I've made a decision!

Hello and Thank you to:

Pick
Terry
Kevin
Wingfoot

I've decided to carry the Argosy spare in the Suburban because all of you make some very important points against the change-out.

Wingfoot's suggestion of a carrier is a good one. I did not mention in this thread that I have one welded to the rear bumper, but I am reluctant to use it because of concerns over the frame-shell separation issue mentioned in other threads. I remember my 31' had the optional carrier under the front of the trailer immediately behind the A-frame. I wish my 20' had one of those carriers. Maybe I should make one while the belly pan is off!

Once again, I thank all of you for your helpful thoughts on this matter.
Rick Alston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:13 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

It sounds like you are going another way, but a final thought. It isn't the number of lugs, but the total "withdrawal" resistance generated. So, it is a combination of stud diameter and the number of studs. My 4 ton dump truck has 5 lugs, but the lugs are huge. If you were to go to 5, the studs would need to be bigger, and that wouldn't work for you.
minkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 06:26 PM   #8
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One other idea.

If your Suburban has the barndoors you could mount the spare to one of the doors. It would require a bracket and possible modifications to the door, but would also free up the space in back of the 'burb.

I know a swing away tire carrier was an add on option.

There is a picture here
http://homepage.mac.com/eric3/89sub/PhotoAlbum6.html

You may have to look in some off road mags to find one.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote