Old 05-20-2009, 09:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
2008 23' International CCD
golden , Colorado
Can you damage axle/wheel parking on snow?

After I moved my airstream in the driveway today, I noticed the wheels, particularly on the drivers side, did not seem very aligned with one another (double axle). I then remembered I parked the airstream on the concrete driveway when there was 12" of snow.

Could the wheels have settled askew from one another as the snow melted? Could that cause damage, or should there have been enough flex in the wheels? I would say the edges of the wheels were a good 1" off from one another. I suppose it's not a lot different from parking on an uneven gravel area for 2 months or with a big rock under one tire?

1cericks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:24 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Dual (and especially triple) axles put a lot of twist on the tires when turning tightly. Suppoedly, the ST tires are designed to let them slip somewhat to help the situation. If there was show, though, I am surprised that there was enough friction to put a twist in the tires. I would have thought that the tires would slip sideways fairly easily in snow.

When I back into my tight slot in the storage yard, I always pull forward one last time to get the twist out of the tires. It can't help but reduce the chance of a belt failure somewhere down the road.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Parking, even with a twisted preload, should not cause the wheels to retain a distortion. They may appear to have distorted while parked but once you move the trailer the wheels should settle out. As noted above the wheels are designed to flex to reduce tire scuffing as the trailer is being turned.

If you have move the trailer and the wheels still show visible misalignment there is a problem more than likely in the axles. If this is the case find a truck axle shop for the realignment. These axles require bending to correct any misalignment. and that is something that requires a special shop. Do not take the trailer to JC for this work.
2004 Excursion 4x4
1991 34 ft. Excella +220,000 miles, new laminated flooring, new upholstery, new 3200 lbs axles

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Which axis angle are you referring to caster of camber? In other words front to rear or top to bottom.
Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Pull the trailer for 5 or so miles, park on level ground. Perform a visual. I'm sure you'll find it is OK. Just parking for less the 20 years is not going to damage your axle.
Janets Husband is offline   Reply With Quote