Old 11-07-2011, 06:16 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
It is not a good idea to jack the trailer up on the single plate between the wheels. The plate is prone to buckle and that causes the frame to bend between the wheels and that will result in rear end separation. If you insist on jacking up two wheels on one side. use two jacks at the designated jacking positions. It is safer to use the 5 in. high board stacks and drive one set of wheels up onto them to be able to take the other two wheels off.

Old 11-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
It is not a good idea to jack the trailer up on the single plate between the wheels. The plate is prone to buckle and that causes the frame to bend between the wheels and that will result in rear end separation. If you insist on jacking up two wheels on one side. use two jacks at the designated jacking positions. It is safer to use the 5 in. high board stacks and drive one set of wheels up onto them to be able to take the other two wheels off.
I believe this depends upon the year/plate design. Some of the older units have just a piece of flat stock mounted vertically as an axle plate. I believe these are prone to buckling, potentially. Many of the newer units have a very thick plate formed as a "J". I have jacked on this style of plate without a HINT if any deflection or distortion. What say the rest of you?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:36 AM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
well, that was what I was originally planning to do, since I have the lego block things already. Hence my original question about leaving the trailer on one axle for a few hours. I am accustomed to crawling around under Land Rover Defenders and Fords with chassis and frames. I was a little surprised at the light construction under the Airstream, but then as I looked I saw that it was just tough enough to do the job. Needed to think more along the lines of aircraft frames and sailing catamarans and things that need to be light. different design parameters from truck chassis.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:44 AM   #18
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post

But can you do it with just one jack? You can raise two wheels off the ground with one jack? Is it under the frame or one of the axles?
Gringo,

Yes you can.

How I do it.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07759.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	144782   Click image for larger version

Name:	2007 WINTERIZE 007.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	854.1 KB
ID:	144783  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #19
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
Anyone know what the weight rating is on the stock Marathon tires? This is a 2011 with maybe 4,000 total miles on it I figure.. so they must still be near orig spec.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:58 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Anyone know what the weight rating is on the stock Marathon tires? This is a 2011 with maybe 4,000 total miles on it I figure.. so they must still be near orig spec.
It is moulded into the sidewall.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:02 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
A few months ago, on my 25' I used board ramps and left mine setting on two tires while I took two wheels to the tire dealer. The tires were the original D rated 12 years old GM's. (PO never changed them) On my prior 30' trailers I have used board ramps and at other times jacked two wheel up using the axle mounting plate. When I use a jack I always use blocking or a jack stand for safety. I have had no problem using either method.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:05 AM   #22
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Gringo,

2540lbs 225/75/R15 @ 65psi

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:10 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Quote:
D rated ST225/75R15's are 2,540 lbs at 65 psi
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
gringo, try asking the tire shop you're buying from, if they'll lend you some jack stands.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Anywhere along that plate is considered a jacking position as far as I know. The plate won't bend if you use a piece of wood on top of your jack. I think most bends are the result of the jack not being in the right position or slipping off. It looks like someone had the jack in the wrong place and used the shock mount as a jack point and of course it bent. At some point, I will fix the bend but it is not causing problems.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Jacking

The best "AND" safest place to place a floor or bottle jack to lift a tandem or tri-axle Airstream, "IS" on the axle mounting plate.

That's how everyone in the business does it.

The issue of that plate bending, is simply a matter of inadequate welding on the axle mounting plate to frame seam. That bending, "IS" caused by the trailer bouncing and not by jacking.

For those that have a bend in that area, look at the backside of the axle mounting plate and you will see welds that are all too many inches apart. That weld should be with no more than about 1 inch gaps, with 2 inch weld seams.

Check yours out. If it's as described, with poor welding seams, in time the axle mounting plate will buckle, and without ever lifting the trailer with jacks.

Andy
Old 11-07-2011, 10:08 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Andy, maybe there is a bit of confusion about what the axel mounting plate is. I am assuming that the plate is the 1/4 thick plate that is welded to the frame and is about the width of the wheel wells. There are a couple notches cut into it where the axels fit and the axels are bolted to this plate. This plate extends below the frame several inches? It is hard to tell on mine since the tank pans are in the way. This plate also has mounts for the shocks? From Bob's post above. That whole black section is the plate we are talking about. The frame would be behind the upper half?

Perry
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #28
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Andy, maybe there is a bit of confusion about what the axel mounting plate is. I am assuming that the plate is the 1/4 thick plate that is welded to the frame and is about the width of the wheel wells. There are a couple notches cut into it where the axels fit and the axels are bolted to this plate. This plate extends below the frame several inches? It is hard to tell on mine since the tank pans are in the way. This plate also has mounts for the shocks? From Bob's post above. That whole black section is the plate we are talking about. The frame would be behind the upper half?

Perry
The axle mounting plate is exactly as you describe.

Andy