Old 05-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Can '65 axles still be good?

My 1965 axels still seem to be good. Is this possible? When I trailered it home it road smooth and steady with no bouncing at all. The torsion bars are all in a downward position. Is it just wishful thinking on my part or can these actually still be good? The original owner used it at a lake and it was on blocks but I'm sure it wasn't that way forever.

If I do need to replace them what will be the easiest to install? I have read some threads about using OEM axels. This way I won't need to do any drilling and welding.

Thanks

Brian

Old 05-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by briheath View Post
My 1965 axels still seem to be good. Is this possible? When I trailered it home it road smooth and steady with no bouncing at all. The torsion bars are all in a downward position. Is it just wishful thinking on my part or can these actually still be good? The original owner used it at a lake and it was on blocks but I'm sure it wasn't that way forever.

If I do need to replace them what will be the easiest to install? I have read some threads about using OEM axels. This way I won't need to do any drilling and welding.

Thanks

Brian
Brian.

The axle could be good, as a rarety.

Read the axle article in Airstream Central, so that you can check the axle out with the other test, other than looking at the torsion arm.

Andy

Old 05-25-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Thanks Andy

I read your article in airstream central and it explains the inspection process very well. When my trailer was all together I still had a positive angle on the torsion bars. Can this inspection still be done with the body off the frame? On will it be too light? Thanks again for your help.

Brian
Old 05-25-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Thanks Andy

I read your article in airstream central and it explains the inspection process very well. When my trailer was all together I still had a positive angle on the torsion bars. Can this inspection still be done with the body off the frame? On will it be too light? Thanks again for your help.

Brian
With the shell off, the torsion arm position would be artificial because of the lack of weight.

However the test to determine the condition of the rubber rods, by jacking up one side, and watching for that ball park 3 inch drop in the tire position, would still be very valid.

Andy
Old 05-25-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
On a 65 with OEM axles you will have to drill 3, 1/2 holes on each side of the axle. You will also have to weld on your shock brackets. I just put a set of Andy's axles on my 1967 Tradewind, the fit was excelent, and his service is supurb! Adios, John
Old 05-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel1 View Post
On a 65 with OEM axles you will have to drill 3, 1/2 holes on each side of the axle. You will also have to weld on your shock brackets. I just put a set of Andy's axles on my 1967 Tradewind, the fit was excelent, and his service is supurb! Adios, John

Do I need to cut my existing shock brackets off the frame and then reweld them in a different location? How involved will this be? It doesn't sound to bad since it seems like many many people have to do the same thing. Just trying to save myself so extra work if possible.

Brian
Old 05-31-2009, 08:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I am in the proccess of installing pair of new axles from Inland RV. Today I have a neighbor welding the shock brackets on for me. One original axle has been removed. I am taking pictures as I go to post soon. Stay tuned. Don't touch that dial.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Do I need to cut my existing shock brackets off the frame and then reweld them in a different location? How involved will this be? It doesn't sound to bad since it seems like many many people have to do the same thing. Just trying to save myself so extra work if possible.

Brian
If you buy your new axles from Andy everything that is needed is included, new shock brackets down to new lug nuts. Of course I getting new baking plates w/new brakes and drums.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 05-31-2009, 09:02 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
If you buy your new axles from Andy everything that is needed is included, new shock brackets down to new lug nuts. Of course I getting new baking plates w/new brakes and drums.
Neil
We also include "grade 8" mounting hardware, and an axle manual at no charge as well.

Andy
Old 05-31-2009, 01:27 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1965 24' Tradewind
Warner , New Hampshire
Thanks Lizzy I look forward to seeing the progress.

Brian
Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM   #11

1965 17' Caravel
Creston , Iowa
66 caravel axles

where is the best place to buy a kit to replace the axle in my 66 caravel ,I see andy's is listed ,is there a site or a phone number to call them or maybe inland rv ?? please list if there is ....Thanks Dave Rooker
Old 06-04-2009, 01:52 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rook440 View Post
where is the best place to buy a kit to replace the axle in my 66 caravel ,I see andy's is listed ,is there a site or a phone number to call them or maybe inland rv ?? please list if there is ....Thanks Dave Rooker
Our toll free phone number is 800-8777311.

Andy
Old 06-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1967 20' Globetrotter
Campbell , California
Is there any way that the axle on a '67 Globetrotter could still be good? Both of the torsion arms are still showing a good downward angle when fully loaded.

Is there an easy way, aside from "does it look old", to tell if my axle has been replaced? This trailer lived on the coast for a few years so surface corrosion is not a good indicator.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster View Post
Is there any way that the axle on a '67 Globetrotter could still be good? Both of the torsion arms are still showing a good downward angle when fully loaded.

Is there an easy way, aside from "does it look old", to tell if my axle has been replaced? This trailer lived on the coast for a few years so surface corrosion is not a good indicator.
As I posted earlier I am half way done with replacing my tandems. Our Trade Wind had some slight downward angles to them so I was hoping to postpone the axle replacement. However, a recent return trip on I-80 that has a really rough stretch tossed everything out of the rear bath sink and wardrobe. In removing the bolts of the axles 2 have to exit out behind the tortion arm. I suppose one should be able to pry the arm up or down some to give clearance for the bolt to slide out. One out of the four bolts I could do that but three would not budge enough. The rubber is as hard as iron with NO give. I had to cut the bolts to get them out. Moral; old tortions may 'look' OK but they ain't cushioning any bumps.
Neil.

FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid