Old 06-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
I'm working now on replacing the axles and brakes on our 67. (BTW, Andy's product is very good!) When I rolled the AS up on blocks on one axle, I took a break, went inside, and looked out the window. And I noticed that the slight downward angle on the axle holding all the weight was nearly identical to the downward angle of the axle that was hanging in the air. That told lots about the condition of the old axles!

WBCCI 21043
eubank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:44 PM   #16
Rivet Master
2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
the inland rv site has information on how to check the axles. in addition to the angle, the axle should drop about three inches when jacked up. no movement = bad axle.

2012 F150 Super Crew 5-1/2' bed Ecoboost 4x4 3.73 elec. lock diff. Propride hitch
give life. kidney & pancreas transplant 9/9/06
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1965 22' Safari
Staunton , Virginia
We thought the axles were ok on our '65 Safari- the angle was right (loaded and unloaded) and a trailer shop said that they were fine. Well, after a very long trip, we ended up with two cracks in the frame, one at each end of the axle mount plate on the curbside. It's fixable, but if I had replaced the axle before leaving, I probably wouldn't be spending as much "quality time" under the Safari as I am these days. We ended up with a Dexter, and it seems to be ok- but if I had it to do again, I'd go with the Inland RV Henschen. Cost is higher, but you won't end up with reversed brackets welded to your mounting plate like I now have, and you'll have shock mounts, which I still don't have.

So if you think you maybe, possibly, might want to replace your axle... do it, and save a lot of pain down the road.

65Safari65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:16 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
When we purchased our Overlander I suspected an axles change. I did look at the arm angle and it was almost horizontal empty.
I thought "It will get me thru the first season and then I'll change em" "Wrong" That little bit of angle was only there because the rubber in the tube was completely hard and had taken a set. The second trip out it began to break things. Like the mirror rivets on the bathroom door , IT had such a jar it was unrolling the toiletpaper and roll towel off the racks,opening the fridge door in transit,just to name a few things. I had popped rivets both inside and out that were not there when I did the first inspecting before I purchased it.
When I pulled the first axle onto the lumber to change out the axle it stayed in the up position.It may look good but looks are deceiving sometimes.
Andy supplied all the hardware and even called me himself to make sure it had arrived.I am maybe more fortunate than most, I was able to pickup my axles at the factory with my flatbed.
I think Dexter makes a good product for SOB's and Horse trailers and if you look at the backing plates and brake parts on a Henshen they are made by Dexter. But there is nothing like a OEM axle made to fit exactly as the one that was installed when the trailer was new.
I didn't have any problems installing my OEM axles. I KNOW I payed alot but it was worth it.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
The first image is from under our coach 3 Thursdays ago. The second is what it is now. I will post on a new thread the proccess of my installation as soon as I organize all the images that I recorded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream axles replacement May, 2009 002.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	82049   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream axles replacement May, 2009 043.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	82050  

Neil and Lynn Holman
FreshAir #12407