Old 12-14-2008, 07:07 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
For my Tradewind I went with Dexters because of the price, and I don't have any regrets. As mentioned above you have to do a little more work to get them in. Overall they went in fine but I had to shim at one point.

There are 3 points that I encountered that are on the subject of this post:

1. You do have to know what you are ordering from Dexter and provide detailed specs. They make a lot of axles for other applications, so don't expect them to know what your Airstream needs.

2. I measured the distance on the tandem axle mounting flanges at the front and rear of the flanges of my trailer. Don't expect all measurements will be the same. On my trailer there was up to a 1/8" difference. I ordered based on the smallest measurement to make sure the axles would fit.

3.The mounting flanges on one Dexter axle was very slightly off square and consequently the mounting flange distance was <1/16" less than the spec I asked for. I asked Dexter about this discrepancy and they said their tolerance standard is the axle mounting flange distance on their axles can be fractionally less than the ordered spec, but cannot be larger.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 AM   #16

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
OK folks. We deleted the posts containing remarks not in line with the intent of the thread. I also modified one post. This means some good information was thrown out too. Sorry for that but the moderation staff will not allow yet another axle thread to go down the tubes. Let's keep the personal comments out. Your experience does not have to contain comments that inflame or be considered a finger in the eye of others who post here. I pulled quite a few posts so instead of personal messages to all of you, I'm making everyone aware of the situation.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 12:52 PM   #17
Looking for time
1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
thanks for the oversight-theres alot of good info here,about a question that we all are concerned with---jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:24 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The Right Tools Make it So Much More Fun....

A plasma cutter.....ah now there's one on my list of "Dream Tools."

Those things are amazing. I played with one when I took my welding class. I cut a half inch plate like it was made of butter and I had a hot knife. What a super cool gadget. I have TOOL ENVY!

Took me three years just to buy the big Lincoln TIG awhile 'til I can get a plasma. I'll have to make do with a drill and a sawzall 'til then.

Best of luck to all you axle swappers out there. Just take your time and you'll be fine.

See ya,

- Jim
JimGolden is offline   Reply With Quote